Pied a Terre

34 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 2NH - View on a map

Pied a Terre Restaurant In London

Having eaten at Pied a Terre many a time when Shane Osborne was in charge of the stove, I was excited to visit again, this time with Marcus Eaves at the realm! Although I have been lucky enough to experience Marcus' cooking many times before, it's been a while, so I was interested to see how much his cooking had progressed over the years.

I was responsible for organising a very special lunch for colleagues so I had to impress. I knew Marcus wouldn't dissapoint!

Originally we planned to have the set lunch menu but when we got in there I managed to convince my boss that we should eat off the A La Carte (mainly because I was desperate to have the venison!). After an aperatif and the promise of a fab meal, I twisted his arm! None of the table had eaten at the restaurant before and they were blown away by every single aspect of their meal.

Between us we had rabbit, scallops, quail, lamb, venison, trout, amazing cheeses, tons of Melbec, a selection of desserts (because we couldn't choose!) and a variety of dessert wines to wash them down with. WOW! We went in at 1.30pm and didn't leave 8.30pm! My colleagues were in food and wine heaven!

Marcus' food is sublime. It's creative, colourful, smart, modern and most of all absolutely delicious.

I honestly think anyone who doesn't rate Pied a Terre as one of the top restaurants in the country and Marcus as one of the most exciting chefs, needs their head reading and their taste buds tested!

All of the staff were friendly but a special mention has to go to the Sommelier who was just fantastic. He put up with our indecisiveness and then presented us with the most fabulous wines with good humour and educated us all!

A perfect afternoon!

AMC_London
Thursday, April 04, 2013

Needed to entertain a client, a very special one and was hopeful of doing it on a budget at pied-a-terre. I had been told that there was a 7 course menu at £55, so a call was made and with the choice of an early or late table; which I don't mind, read previous reviewer upset by that, but I wanted the deal so booked a 9pm table which had no return time.

The place is so discreet that you could be standing outside and not realise, it's sandwiched between William Hill and DimT.

I was impressed to be offered tap water along with the usual still and sparkling, an offer we accepted. We went straight to the wine list and ordered an English white wine which was excellent and also great value.

As we were on the summer deal the menu was preset and no choice was offered, and my guest then tells me she's vegetarian, I felt sick! Asked the head waiter that looked like Thierry Henry what could be done and was thrilled that he simply bought a different menu ready to go to accommodate my guest.

Having read the vegetarian menu I opted to join my guest in the vegetarian option, now I love my meat and fish, but this is the first time I have read a menu that was so interesting and vegetarian - it just had to done.

We were served 3 lovely little canapes followed by a tiny girolle soup, a tomato salad that was amazing, a spatzle (pasta dish), an onion tart, pre dessert and a truly awesome puff pastry dessert, billed as millefeuille.

Coffee was extra but came with jummy petit fours and no charge for a second espresso?

Pied a terre delivered an amazing meal, we were on a deal and grateful for it but at no time did we feel like we were on a deal.

It was a wonderful evening!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Our first visit on a quiet lunchtime today. We'd checked out the Menu du Jour online, and though understanding that they have the right to change the menu were disappointed to find that the menu outside the restaurant was not just different but inferior. However we were staggered to find that the menu offered inside the restaurant was different from that displayed outside, and yes you've got it, again worse. Every day they have to type a new menu. It would be the work of moments to update the web menu with that every day, but they choose not to do so. Idleness? Content to display a "good" menu just so long as they don't have to actually serve it? I don't know, you choose.

The premises themselves are cramped and perhaps the least prepossessing 2* I've been in in London. Service is polite and not untimely. But they don't have any sense of timing. They'd come along and ask a question just as you take a bite of bread- so just not customer sensitive.

The food- well you get a lot of little add ons- decent bread, a pre starter, a pre dessert, and the obligatory chocs with coffee. All of these are fine and interesting. The meal we actually paid for- now I'm not so sure. All the portions are very small- smaller than I'd expect even for this type of food but then I recall making the same comment about their sister restaurant L'Autre Pied (which we didn't much like at all btw). Our consomme starter was pleasant and tasty enough but a couple of spoonfuls and it was gone. My main course could have sat on a child's hand and consisted of two pieces of nicely textured but totally bland pork cheeks. (Cheeks are bland-how did they manage that?) in a jus with various tiny accompaniments. Dessert was a warm chocolate tart with some ice-cream and pieces of cherry, and tasty. Decent coffee and bread. A few bottle below £30 on the wine list, and in total our bill came to £118 for 2. So not daylight robbery but not wonderful value either.

Go again? Don't think so. Their thing with the menus leaves a bad taste in my mouth and the combination of food quality, value, and a rather odd restaurant doesn't make a compelling mix, and I wouldn't suggest you spend your hard-earned here either.

David Henderson
Tuesday, August 14, 2012

This restaurant is especially well-known to be way toooo expensive. So when I received an email about their "summer offer", I thought I should try it. The only conditions on their website are "Available Mon - Fri for lunch and dinner. Please note, there is a two hour return time on tables".

I called to book a two-hour table on Thursday at 8pm. Fine. Then I said I'd like to have the "summer offer". The woman on the phone was really embarrassed, put me on hold, and then told me there was limited time availability. Given that this is not what it says on their website, I have asked again why I couldn't get the menu if there was a table available at 8pm for 2 hours. She was clearly embarrassed and passed me to her manager. He told me that the offer is only available at 6.30pm or much later and if we wanted to eat at 8pm, I could have the menu at the full price. I was furious, because in this case, I believe they should acknowledge their mistake and let us having the summer offer at 8pm.

I think that a restaurant which has so little manners and is so desperately trying to have more customers indicate that something is wrong. And I certainly don't want to be the one tasting some of their old food that they cannot get rid off. Good luck to them!

Pitch
Tuesday, July 03, 2012

What a great restaurant

Pied a Terre was an amazing way to spend our 10th Wedding Anniversary complete with a signed copy of the menu and a tour of the kitchen to meet the chef.

Food and service were both first rate can't wait to return.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

I feel extremely sorry for the chef, that the serving staff does not liase any of the philosophy of the food with their pretentious manners.

The floor staff was judgemental, rude, and insincere.

Having the priviledge of dining at serveral Michelin-starred restaurants in both Paris and London, Pied a Terre is at the bottom of the list. Having sly remarks inserted in between courses is a very uncomfortable feeling for the diner, despite how talented a chef is.

I would steer away from this over-rated restaurant. If you love French, go to the Galvin restaurants, or Club Gascon.

Sylvia
Friday, March 30, 2012

Overrated. Boring place and poor service. Food is not bad but definitely there are much better places to find a good culinary experience in London in the same price bracket.

Rodrigo C.
Saturday, November 12, 2011

We were supposed to have a nice evening out, but going to Pied-a Terre proved to be the wrong choice. The food was nothing above average and the service was bordering on awful (even the couple at the next table found them rude).

The atmosphere is cold, it is just another "business restaurant" - not worth it!

Martin
Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's been awhile since we ate here. We find it difficult to resist if we're in the area at lunch time. It was the Tuesday after the dreadful Monday Riots in London and learning that our shop was safe in Camden we decided to look on the bright side and enjoy a meal...

This was the first for dinner at Pied De Terre for many many years and the first time with Marcus Eaves as the Head Chef.

It was simply outstanding! We loved every single dish and every single drop of wine!!!!

The scallops with the Iberico Ham was amazing!

The poached quail eggs with the crushed potatoes and summer truffle was another highlight.

The tasting menu with matching wines is always are favourite...yes three hours later...perhaps more...but what an excellent excellent meal!!!

Thank you!!!

Friday, September 02, 2011

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 7/10

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - My starter of salt brined scallops was dressed with delicate strands of celeraic and the crunch of almonds. The scallops were faultless in their tender state but a better choice was the roasted quail breast which was even prettier and was a bit more gutsy in its flavours. However at times the idea outshone the execution...While the food was exquisite, I felt Pied a Terre lacked some of the wow factor of other two Michelin star restaurants such as The Ledbury and The Square.