St John

26 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London, EC1M 4AY - View on a map

St John Restaurant In London

This was disappointing. We went for a friend’s birthday and had a private dining room. A whole roasted pig was ordered – it was brought to the area outside of the dining room and carved there, completely taking away of the experience of seeing/eating a whole pig. The sides for this (just two – kale and baked potatoes, both decidedly average) were brought along later – meaning our main meal was sparse, Spartan and cold. The service was generally pretty slow in that respect – we were forever out of wine. The pudding – trifle and Eccles cakes – was incredibly good, however that didn’t make up spectacularly lacklustre food and service. It was very reasonably priced though...

wendy
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I simply can't fault the quality and imagination of the food here. The menu is based on Fergus Henderson's 'nose-to-tail' cuisine, where not one ounce of dead animal is wasted. The resulting dishes are a study in simplicity and seasonality. This is not flashy cooking, rather a showcase of high quality ingredients and faultless execution. This is the sort of restaurant I can see myself returning to for years and years and years. BYO at £15 also a big bonus.

quentinhapsburg - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, July 08, 2012

Much has been made of the whole 'nose to tail' eating thing, but I suspect it was much more radical in 1994 than in 2012. There is enough variety in the short menu to satisfy everyone. It's not like you can only choose between spleen or tripe. There was a tripe starter and there was a deviled kidney main, but there was also a cucumber and leaf starter and grilled brill main.

Simple cooking with only a few ingredients which may or may not be unusual, but nothing shocking in terms of combinations or techniques. We shared starters, the standouts were the famous bone marrow on toast and a salad of roasted skate with rocket and salsa verde. For my main I had snails with sausage and chick peas which was extremely moreish. I also loved the pigeon with radishes. We had a lemon sorbet with vodka after mains then shared eccles cake with Lancashire cheese, which is one of those combinations that changes lives.

Again the décor was probably a revolution 18 years ago, with whitewashed walls, industrial pendent lamps, and a shabby feel. It's still not to everyone's taste but I loved it. It was packed, obviously.

Couldn't fault anything really. Lots of restaurants now do some things that are similar, but I reckon the original is well worth a visit.

Dan - View all reviews by this user
Friday, June 01, 2012

Outstanding! Ten of us for dinner meant that we had to use the 'feasting menu' and which meant that some week before we had to select two starters, two mains, and two desserts. I had some reservations about this arrangement which involved the waiters bringing along the dishes which went-in-the-middle and everybody tucked in.

In the event we selected pigs cheeks and brown shimps for starters, venison and sea bass for mains, and profiteroles and crumble for desserts. The food was absolutely delicious and the quantities more than enough for everybody ... so much so that there was demand to have what remained of the crumble to be taken home in a doggy-bag.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Visited St John for the first time last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed the food and relaxed atmosphere. A good balance of fish and meat dishes on the menu which appatrently changes at least daily. Between the three of us, we had fantastic sea urchins and oysters to start,the bone marrow with toast, followed by whole crab, brill and super fresh, fried sprats. The service was very friendly and attentive and relaxed, not overly formal and uptight as too many restaurants are. Great buzz the whole evening. Will definitely be going back.

Simon
Monday, January 16, 2012

Essex Eating

Essex Eating

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - It doesn't get simpler than some roasted veal bones, toast, a parsley salad and some salt but combined together? Oh frigging yes. My first bite of this was a definite eyes rolling back in the head moment, the soft jelly like marrow oozing over and into the crisp, hot sourness of the bread, cut through with the sharpness of the piled on parsley, capers and shallots. Simply incredible...I bloody loved St John. It's a one-off and quite obviously continues to live up to its considerable reputation. The whole experience was just an absolute pleasure from start to finish.