Moro

34-36 Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London, EC1R 4QE - View on a map

Moro Restaurant In London

The food was delicious.

The staff definitely too cool to serve and severely pretentious. I was disappointed, staff at the likes of 34 are so much kinder, polite and down to earth. They even started packing up tables on top of tables as we were still eating our mains. Nothing like feeling unwelcome.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Moro is my favourite restaurant in London and continues to be a treat amongst all my friends, family and acquaintances. The food is delicious, the cookbooks the Sam Cooks produce are inspiring (and a great source for foodies all over the country and beyond (Paris, Lisbon) and the wine list is excellently compatible with the dishes served. The atmosphere is warm and comfortable and chic in an unpretentious way. You can also sit at the bar/counter and have tapas or enjoy their nearby tapas restaurant for lunch. Any negative reviews of this restaurant can only reflect negatively on the reviewer, who must have chichi taste, which is never compatible with good food and ambiance.

Dadal
Monday, October 22, 2012

Moro is an outstanding restaurant. I do not understand the negative reviews. It is an established place with a lively but very comfortable vibe. It is not a flashy newcomer that is trying to prove itself with foams and chemistry rather than cooking wonderful food. If you take photos of every dish before eating and then tweet after each bite, go elsewhere. This is a place that is very comfortable with itself that has been executing at a very high level for many years.

DoubleDouble - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 06, 2012

What a shame. Really disappointing. I love Spanish and north African food and have wanted to go to Moro for years. I finally got around to it last night and it was poor. We walked in without a reservation. It was rammed save for a single table for two. Nice bustling, raucous atmosphere. Pretty scruffy room - needs a lick of paint and a good scrub. Nice waitress, good value Fino. Very appealing food on the menu. Reasonable wine list. Looking good.

But the food. The food was bland, flabby, flavourless. Such a shame. The scallops were finished, so I had calves liver to start. It was over cooked, grainy, tough, dry and low in flavour. The toast it came with was burnt (not charred: burnt).

Main course: lamb: looked nicely cooked, and pink. But again it was flavourless and dry (even though it hadn't been over cooked). If I hadn't known it was lamb I could easily has believed it was a cheap cut of beef. Presumably this was the cheapest lamb that the kitchen could buy. No way is that good enough at £19 a plate. The vegetables it came with were the only highlight - beautifully spiced.

OK service, though a bit grudging - "too cool for school (certainly too cool to serve) ".

As others have said this place is totally living off past glories. Well, I never went there in it's hey day, but I can say it's below average now. Lazy buying, slack cooking, and greedy owners.

There are so many far, far better Spanish places in London now in this price bracket. My personal favourite is the Opera Tavern (it's sister restaurants are also great). It's a stellar restaurant which is in a completely different class to Moro in every way. Cigala down the road from Moro on Lambs Conduit street is another example of well sourced ingredients cooked well and served with charm.

I will not be going back to Moro unless it's completely overhauled. I don't suppose this will happen as there are clearly plenty of people with more money than pallet - it was doing amazing trade for a Tuesday night.

Kwev
Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I’d long wanted to visit Moro which I did last night – 7th March 2012 with a companion. I wish I’d read a few reviews before doing so. Regardless of some rather mindlessly undiscerning reviews here, I have to add my warning to potential customers. Moro seems to be trading on a once well deserved reputation and the bottomless pockets of a trendy North London set. The restaurant is hugely overpriced for the standard of food it is serving.

In a nutshell; mean portions of bland meat and fish and poorly presented vegetables with disappointing flavour. I chose ‘Kid kidneys’ for a starter. Note: it is no longer different and exciting for it not to be lamb. Or rather one kidney sliced into 3 parts. This had next no flavour and was served on a small bed of fried cabbage. £8. Astounding how they managed to remove the flavour from kidneys but they managed. My companions portion of octopus was similarly miserly and amazingly bland.

For mains we both had the pork, mentioned elsewhere on this page. Thin slices of undercooked pork with heaps of fat along the edges. Sprinkled with paprika (after plating up!) with dollops of an overpowering herb salsa. Served with a small portion of flavourless sautéed potatoes (how? amazing) and a spoonful of some oniony sludge.

Thing is, if you know even the rudimentaries of cooking, this is unforgiveable at £18.75 a pop. If you have an ounce of business sense, this is crazy. Just to give balance here, I was persuaded to have a dessert – even though I felt we were throwing good money after bad – the Seville orange tart was good if a little sloppy – though unsure why they felt they had to pour a pointlessly small puddle of single cream next to it. Waitress service was excellent. Atmosphere convivial but you can get that in the Exmouth Arms where I would have preferred to have spent my money and my evening.

Phil Melaney
Thursday, March 08, 2012

Where do i start.

Over priced food. Over priced wine. Waiter/waitresses were lovely.

I have been back twice as the first time was not a very good experience. But sadly the second time was just as bad. Slow service.

If you have plans to go to the theater after your dinner make sure you leave at least 5 hours to eat at Moro. And might i add the restaurant wasn't even full.

Basically its not nearly as great as some people make out it is.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Keep the bad reviews coming!

This will make it easier for me to get a table. Never had a bad meal here - all the staff are lovely.

But please dont go. Leave it for me!

(The wine can be a little over priced though - tiny tiny complaint.)

banjobob
Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I have been visiting Moro every few weeks for several years, virtually every time I meet clients in the UK.

I was there today and was sadly disappointed to find it has gone way downhill. The service was unbelievably slow, two orders were completely wrong and another dish was returned because there was some tissue on the plate. In fact the food was all over the place, I felt so embarrassed I ended up making excuses on behalf of the restaurant just to save some face in front of my guests. When the bill finally came I made a comment that things were not exactly up to the usual standard and I did not expect to pay for one of the dishes that was returned and I was told, “sorry we have to have full payment, you were offered a replacement.” We had no time and had to go, I paid but won’t be going back I can tell you that.

Clayton Reed
Monday, October 24, 2011

I went here nearly a year ago now, on October 28, 2010 to be precise and had a nice time so felt moved to write this after reading some of the other reviews below. I found Moro to have a nice relaxed, atmosphere. The food is lovely and, although it's not cheap, I don't mind paying a bit more for something I really enjoy.

I found the service fine; advice was given in a friendly manner when requested and the food and bill came promptly. To be honest, this isn't a fine dining restaurant so who honestly cares as long as everything ordered arrives in reasonable time and the staff are friendly?

I really enjoyed the food but then again, I do enjoy this sort of cuisine. The starters were fine, if a little small but main courses are very substantial: a whole fish or huge slices of grilled or roasted meat with a variety of flavoursome side dishes. Presentation isn't a strong point but again, I wouldn't come here for that. Malaga raisin ice-cream for desert was great.

All in all, a really nice experience; I can't understand some of the reviews on here. Of course, sometimes you have a bad experience but at least try and be objective instead of scoring every category a 1 because you found the food 'fatty'; meat tends to contain fat! Similarly, the service in here can never be a 10 because it can bettered elsewhere.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011