Moro

34-36 Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London, EC1R 4QE - View on a map

Moro Restaurant In London

The food was delicious.

The staff definitely too cool to serve and severely pretentious. I was disappointed, staff at the likes of 34 are so much kinder, polite and down to earth. They even started packing up tables on top of tables as we were still eating our mains. Nothing like feeling unwelcome.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Moro is my favourite restaurant in London and continues to be a treat amongst all my friends, family and acquaintances. The food is delicious, the cookbooks the Sam Cooks produce are inspiring (and a great source for foodies all over the country and beyond (Paris, Lisbon) and the wine list is excellently compatible with the dishes served. The atmosphere is warm and comfortable and chic in an unpretentious way. You can also sit at the bar/counter and have tapas or enjoy their nearby tapas restaurant for lunch. Any negative reviews of this restaurant can only reflect negatively on the reviewer, who must have chichi taste, which is never compatible with good food and ambiance.

Dadal
Monday, October 22, 2012

Moro is an outstanding restaurant. I do not understand the negative reviews. It is an established place with a lively but very comfortable vibe. It is not a flashy newcomer that is trying to prove itself with foams and chemistry rather than cooking wonderful food. If you take photos of every dish before eating and then tweet after each bite, go elsewhere. This is a place that is very comfortable with itself that has been executing at a very high level for many years.

DoubleDouble - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 06, 2012

What a shame. Really disappointing. I love Spanish and north African food and have wanted to go to Moro for years. I finally got around to it last night and it was poor. We walked in without a reservation. It was rammed save for a single table for two. Nice bustling, raucous atmosphere. Pretty scruffy room - needs a lick of paint and a good scrub. Nice waitress, good value Fino. Very appealing food on the menu. Reasonable wine list. Looking good.

But the food. The food was bland, flabby, flavourless. Such a shame. The scallops were finished, so I had calves liver to start. It was over cooked, grainy, tough, dry and low in flavour. The toast it came with was burnt (not charred: burnt).

Main course: lamb: looked nicely cooked, and pink. But again it was flavourless and dry (even though it hadn't been over cooked). If I hadn't known it was lamb I could easily has believed it was a cheap cut of beef. Presumably this was the cheapest lamb that the kitchen could buy. No way is that good enough at £19 a plate. The vegetables it came with were the only highlight - beautifully spiced.

OK service, though a bit grudging - "too cool for school (certainly too cool to serve) ".

As others have said this place is totally living off past glories. Well, I never went there in it's hey day, but I can say it's below average now. Lazy buying, slack cooking, and greedy owners.

There are so many far, far better Spanish places in London now in this price bracket. My personal favourite is the Opera Tavern (it's sister restaurants are also great). It's a stellar restaurant which is in a completely different class to Moro in every way. Cigala down the road from Moro on Lambs Conduit street is another example of well sourced ingredients cooked well and served with charm.

I will not be going back to Moro unless it's completely overhauled. I don't suppose this will happen as there are clearly plenty of people with more money than pallet - it was doing amazing trade for a Tuesday night.

Kwev
Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I’d long wanted to visit Moro which I did last night – 7th March 2012 with a companion. I wish I’d read a few reviews before doing so. Regardless of some rather mindlessly undiscerning reviews here, I have to add my warning to potential customers. Moro seems to be trading on a once well deserved reputation and the bottomless pockets of a trendy North London set. The restaurant is hugely overpriced for the standard of food it is serving.

In a nutshell; mean portions of bland meat and fish and poorly presented vegetables with disappointing flavour. I chose ‘Kid kidneys’ for a starter. Note: it is no longer different and exciting for it not to be lamb. Or rather one kidney sliced into 3 parts. This had next no flavour and was served on a small bed of fried cabbage. £8. Astounding how they managed to remove the flavour from kidneys but they managed. My companions portion of octopus was similarly miserly and amazingly bland.

For mains we both had the pork, mentioned elsewhere on this page. Thin slices of undercooked pork with heaps of fat along the edges. Sprinkled with paprika (after plating up!) with dollops of an overpowering herb salsa. Served with a small portion of flavourless sautéed potatoes (how? amazing) and a spoonful of some oniony sludge.

Thing is, if you know even the rudimentaries of cooking, this is unforgiveable at £18.75 a pop. If you have an ounce of business sense, this is crazy. Just to give balance here, I was persuaded to have a dessert – even though I felt we were throwing good money after bad – the Seville orange tart was good if a little sloppy – though unsure why they felt they had to pour a pointlessly small puddle of single cream next to it. Waitress service was excellent. Atmosphere convivial but you can get that in the Exmouth Arms where I would have preferred to have spent my money and my evening.

Phil Melaney