Wiltons

55 Jermyn Street, Mayfair, London, SW1Y 6LX - View on a map

Wiltons Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Matthew Norman - 8/10

Monday, November 01, 2010 - This back room, faintly scented with paraffin from the roast-of-the-day trolley, has been repainted various warm, autumnal pastels, its walls newly bedecked by colourful culinary paintings...My father loved his ruby red slices of Fallow deer venison while I had the roast grouse with all the trimmings. Less manly, I had it medium. The pinkish meat was as juicy, musty and intimate as this sovereign of all game birds should be. A dispute erupted over the vegetable. The broccoli, which struck us sons as overboiled, was ideal for the paters. Taste in veg, unlike Wiltons, has changed dramatically down the years.

My wife and I had the Mothers Day lunch on 18/3 @ £65 each and it was our first visit to Wiltons. Wiltons do not open on Saturdays or Sundays so it was a bit of a special occasion for them as well.

Unfortunately we were not fully aware of the extent of the road closures for the St Patricks day parade and we were 15 mins late after a 3hr journey from Newbury, it was a nightmare, the signage for the diversions was terrible and I could not believe how many roads they had closed. When we got to Wiltons the staff were also stressed as customers were coming in late and their booking system was up the spout.

The reason I have explained this problem is to praise the staff for there attention and professionalism, they were obviously under pressure and you would not have knowen it.

The food was great, the service was perfect and the restaurant is divine. It is expensive and £9.50 for a Campari and orange shows this, however we had a fantastic time and I would recommend it.

John
Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dos Hermanos

Dos Hermanos

Thursday, January 28, 2010 - Dover Sole doesn't appear on too many restaurant menus, maybe owing to its frightening cost. Here, I reckon they don't have too many problems shifting them. The fish had been grilled on the bone and was pretty much perfect. Thick and firm with quite a subtle flavour it put me in mind of seafood dishes in Spain...I had a fine time at Wilton's. Service was good and the prices, although aimed firmly at Mayfair wallets, were commensurate with ingredients that were of exemplary quality and that were treated properly. By the end of my meal, I was so cosy and well-fed that it was a bit of a wrench to drag myself out into the cold.