Cafe Spice Namaste

16 Prescot Street, Aldgate, London, E1 8AZ - View on a map

Cafe Spice Namaste Restaurant In London

I have Cyrus's recipe book, I have cooked his lamb dhansak recipe many times, it is amazing, one of my favourite curries. I was looking forward to comparing the lamb dhansak in his book to the restaurant and I was hugely disappointed. It tasted like a generic curry gravy, it was watery and the texture was not right, even worse than your bog standard takeaway.

I then tasted the other curries my family ordered (Goan prawn, beef curry a' la dada and murghi ni curry nay papato) and they all had the same generic curry gravy taste, literally like curry powder stirred into a gravy, bland and boring.

I complained to the waiter who was attentive and helpful. I then spoke to Cyrus himself, I explained that I have cooked his dhansak recipe many times and that the curry I was served was nothing like it. He didn't listen, he was very defensive and patronising, he repeatedly said was 'you're the expert, you're the expert'. He obviously doesn't care about his customers now he is a 'celebrity cook'.

I have cooked hundreds of curries over the years, I make my own masala blends, I make my own ghee, I research recipes for the authentic methods etc, I would like to think I know about curry and I can tell you this was one of the worst curries I have had at a restaurant. I will continue to cook at home and save money, Cafe Spice is a complete rip off.

James M