La Porte des Indes

32 Bryanston Street, London, W1H 7EG - View on a map

La Porte des Indes Restaurant In London

PRETTY POOR PORT

I attended La Porte des Indes for a Sunday jazz brunch.

I had to wait ages to be served my first drink. The Indian food was fairly plentiful and the waiters' costumes were impressive. The rather subdued jazz was nothing to write home about.

To round off my meal, i ordered a glass of port which contained a totally unacceptable amount of sediment. They were really serving up the dregs. £11 [GBP] for a really mediocre little glass of port loaded with sediment. I complained and was given another glass. Without the dregs one could taste how mediocre the port really was.

The interior of the building was nice enough.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This restaurant has a great decor and ambiance. Very spacious but the tables are too small for the number of people seated at it. There is not enough place for the plates, food and drinks. You are always worried you may knock and spill something. The waiters are all dressed up in heavy Indian wedding type attire. But the food is very average and bland. The prices are exorbitant and a total rip-off. The quantity of food is too little for the steep prices. The waiters are forever trying to remove the plates before you have finished. They gave soup and no spoons. We had to ask and it was brought after 10 mins by which time the soup was cold. The tomato soup had huge potato pieces in it and did not taste good at all. If you are looking for tasty food, you will not get it here. But if you just want to sit in beautiful surroundings and chat, it is good. £120 for 3 persons (3 thalis, 2 wines and 2 desserts) is preposterous. But surprisingly the place was full. There were hardly any Indians so the food was bland and not authentic Indian. It was more suited for those who are not used to spicy food and those who cannot identify authentic Indian food. Waste of money.
View/Add comments (1)

Anon
Friday, July 05, 2013

We visited the restaurant on 10 May 2013. As soon as we walked into the restaurant we were overwhelmed by a very strong musty and decayed odor which was getting stronger as we were heading downstairs towards our table. Unfortunately the bad smell accompanied us throughout the lunch which I am afraid to say was not any better. I was planning on taking my family for a lunch there however after todays experience I would try to avoid this restaurant. As a temporary solution I would suggest to ventilate the entire restaurant on daily basis and perhaps use some plugin scents. However a damp proofing of the entire basement area is highly recommended.

Denise
Friday, May 10, 2013

Had a meal in the restaurant on 4/7/2012. Dont waste your money..it is all show and no quality. The chicken tandoori was bony poor cuts of meat...you would think they could serve proper portions with the prices they charge. There are lots of great Indian restaurants about....this is not one of them. We will definitely NOT be back.

J Golligher
Thursday, July 05, 2012

Some of the best indian food I have ever had, and the best service I have ever had in any restaurant - Definitely going back

Scott - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Went to this restaurant on the 17.11.11 with work colleagues.

Had a fantastic evening. The food was well presented , looked very appetising.

Maybe for me, because of my asian palate/malaysian background would have liked that the food was a little less bland.

Even though saying that I will definitely go back there again.

The service was good, The ambience was fantastic and the quality of the meal was good.

This restaurant is perfect to go for a special evening out.

Abby Kaur-Forde