La Porte des Indes

32 Bryanston Street, London, W1H 7EG - View on a map

La Porte des Indes Restaurant In London

PRETTY POOR PORT

I attended La Porte des Indes for a Sunday jazz brunch.

I had to wait ages to be served my first drink. The Indian food was fairly plentiful and the waiters' costumes were impressive. The rather subdued jazz was nothing to write home about.

To round off my meal, i ordered a glass of port which contained a totally unacceptable amount of sediment. They were really serving up the dregs. £11 [GBP] for a really mediocre little glass of port loaded with sediment. I complained and was given another glass. Without the dregs one could taste how mediocre the port really was.

The interior of the building was nice enough.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This restaurant has a great decor and ambiance. Very spacious but the tables are too small for the number of people seated at it. There is not enough place for the plates, food and drinks. You are always worried you may knock and spill something. The waiters are all dressed up in heavy Indian wedding type attire. But the food is very average and bland. The prices are exorbitant and a total rip-off. The quantity of food is too little for the steep prices. The waiters are forever trying to remove the plates before you have finished. They gave soup and no spoons. We had to ask and it was brought after 10 mins by which time the soup was cold. The tomato soup had huge potato pieces in it and did not taste good at all. If you are looking for tasty food, you will not get it here. But if you just want to sit in beautiful surroundings and chat, it is good. £120 for 3 persons (3 thalis, 2 wines and 2 desserts) is preposterous. But surprisingly the place was full. There were hardly any Indians so the food was bland and not authentic Indian. It was more suited for those who are not used to spicy food and those who cannot identify authentic Indian food. Waste of money.
View/Add comments (1)

Anon
Friday, July 05, 2013

We visited the restaurant on 10 May 2013. As soon as we walked into the restaurant we were overwhelmed by a very strong musty and decayed odor which was getting stronger as we were heading downstairs towards our table. Unfortunately the bad smell accompanied us throughout the lunch which I am afraid to say was not any better. I was planning on taking my family for a lunch there however after todays experience I would try to avoid this restaurant. As a temporary solution I would suggest to ventilate the entire restaurant on daily basis and perhaps use some plugin scents. However a damp proofing of the entire basement area is highly recommended.

Denise