Mela

152-156 Shaftesbury Avenue, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 8HL - View on a map

Mela Restaurant In London

Service is poor. Waiting time for food after ordering was about 30 mins even though the place was not that busy. Also we were given a bill which was for another table by mistake, we were still waiting for our main course when the waiter gave us the wrong bill. Overall service was very poor. On top they had the courage to add 12.% service charge which we got them to remove as we were unsatisfied. However the food was good with traditional taste. Just a shame that the service doesn't match the food. Also the background music was rubbish and annoying, they kept playing two or three songs over an over again. Won't be going back again.

Monday, June 16, 2014

This was the first time me and my friends had been to an high end Indian restaurant. We thought the food was excellent along with the service and atmosphere.

This restaurant is definitely recommendable, we would certainly recommend dining here.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Went to Mela on 24th March 2012 as my wife is a big fan of Rajasthani food. On arrival we were pleased with the set up. When we received our menu there was no sign of the rajasthani menu (as per the website). We were informed that management had changed on 23rd March. We were however told we can still order the Rajasthani food. Lets just say the food was awful! The dal baati churma was not cooked properly and was a few days old based on the taste. The punjabi food was bland and the rice looked and tasted like it was cooked in the morning and left in the open!. Overall it has to be the worst restuarant I have been too in a long time. If you want decent Indian food DO NOT go to this restuarant.

Manish
Sunday, March 25, 2012

Went to mela last week (jan 2012) on a wowcher deal which offered a meal for two including two drinks, usually priced at around £72, for £30. On arrival they seemed alittle unsure about the voucher and scurried off with it for ages. We had to remind them to come back to us. We ordered plain rice and one naan but recieved pilau and two naan, however we were happy with that as it was tasty. Soon discovered why our order was changed as we remembered we had to pay extra on top for these sides as the deal excluded them! The chicken tikka and lamb chops were lovely. You also got a potato dish, daal and tap water thrown in but no popadoms. Overall not worth £73 even for central London but worth it for the deal price of £30. Manager was attentive and polite but other staff very average and a bit vague.

We ended up paying over £17 extra for the rice and naan including service charge which I thought was steep.

shirley
Thursday, January 26, 2012

This is a follow up review of my visit on September 13, 2011

I returned to this restaurant, after my good experience. The food was good, but I was unhappy at a number of aspect. And my experience fell below my expectations (compared to my visit in September 2011).

We ordered the "SUBZ THAAL (Vegetable in Tandoori). However, it was not prepared as well as on the first occasions. Instead of 'cauliflower' heads, I got the 'cauliflower' stems. Did they run out of cauliflower?

However, I have been put off by the 'foul' tasting orange and pineapple juice. We asked for another after complaining, and that one tasted right. But one has to wonder why we got two 'foul' tasting drinks?.

The drinking glasses looked dirty.

The bad drinks has put me off returning to this restaurant.... pity :-(

RK