Tamarind

20 Queen Street, Mayfair, London, W1J 5PR - View on a map

Tamarind Restaurant In London

I came here in early June with my brother, lured by the intriguing prospect of Michelin-starred curry, and we went for the pre-theatre menu.

The place was pretty dark - I have heard of 'intimate' lighting but I was peering into the gloom at my food, to be honest.

I liked the already-shattered poppadums as an appetizer, and the chicken supreme and the (rather un-Indian?) scallops were delightful.

Main courses of lamb rogan josh and chicken tikka masala (although they weren't exactly called that on the menu), plus rice, a dhal and a vegetable curry were very good, but to be brutally honest no better or worse than a good suburban curry house.

Deserts of kulfi and a frankly Christmassy chocolate mousse (it had cinnamon and orange in it) were very good again, and the petit fours were mint leaves dipped in white chocolate accompanied by mango chocolate truffles.

Overall it was great... but I thought the mains were tame: perhaps we were just wrong to go for the set menu if we really wanted to sample knock-out Michelin-standard fare.

Service was friendly and attentive, although I did discover that I had a chipped glass.

www.thedarksmile.com - View all reviews by this user