Veeraswamy

Victory House, 99-101 Regent Street, London, W1B 4RS - View on a map

Veeraswamy Restaurant In London

The food offered here has become too "westernised". However, this restaurant is smart and clearly lots of tourists come here. For "real" Indian food, I would eat elsewhere such as the Bengal Clipper close to Tower Bridge.

JR
Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Booked a table here last minute for my birthday. I was slightly anxious as they have such a naff website and I had read the food was quite expensive. However, they easily accommodated a large group on a Saturday night, so I booked and hoped for the best.

Veeraswamy did not disappoint. They sat us on a beautiful large round table away from the other more intimate groups, so that we did not disturb anyone else. The food was amazing - very good quality and unusal Indian dishes that delighted everyone; the service was brilliant; and they even bought out a surprise dessert for me in honour of my birthday.

This is a brilliant place to go for all lovers of Indian food, whether as an intimate couple or a large group, the restaurant can accommodate all needs and provides really tasty dishes. The bill was £70 per head, which included cocktails, wine, beer, starters, mains, a couple of puddings and a large tip as rewards for the great service.

Leila
Monday, October 01, 2012

Great Indian food in a lovely setting with very good service. This is not a neighborhood bengali takeaway with vindaloo's and the like. Rather, it is an authentic, up market dining experience that does not disappoint.

DoubleDouble - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 06, 2012

First of all I consider myself so lucky as for my son - in- law Ashlely to have booked a surprise dining for my daughter’s birthday on Sunday 18th Sep, 11 at one of the most recognised Indian restaurant in the heart of city ‘s affluent centre, famously known as “ VeeraSwamy “

The place has an entrance with welcoming reception on ground floor leading from a lift to first floor dining area to an L shaped lounge on the right and a spacious second area on the left, leaving the third floor with banquette facilities. My first impression of the ambience was quite delightful but quirky and did not give me that full authentic Indian feeling, the place was somehow lacking high intricate Indian decor and oranaments , In the background soft Indian classical music wood have been a treat.

Once again upstairs, warm welcomed from smart and presentable staff led us to our table and made us comfortable.

Whilst waiting for the surprise guest to arrive, my anxiously waiting eager could not resist most findings of it origin. It was Interesting to learn that the place had been established as far as 1926. It had undergone 5 ownerships since the original owner, Sir Edward Palmer, who was married to an Indian Princess, and historically had catered for Royal families to the present day. Queen Victoria was regularly delivered with their scrumptious cuisine. Further, the place had served clientele ranging from world’s famous and legendary celebrities to M P’s

Finally, long waited food and drinks were ordered in varieties. The starter and the main meals were served with good presentation and were absolutely delicious and served with authentic Indian spices and herbs. It certainly gave that rising buzz to my palates. Naans were soft and crispy and couldn’t resist the second order, to round it off, complimented with varieties of mouth watering deserts, some delicately served in traditional paan leaf.

All in all my experience was exciting, and recommend but must point out that they are pricy. The other drawback that it is an ideal place for surreal dining and not for exuberant parties or events as you are very limited to what they can let you do.

P J Chohan
Wednesday, September 21, 2011

We went there and only veg items found are side dishes. Apparently the owner was not happy with the total amount and asked us to order more items. We immediately got up and left the place.
View/Add comments (1)

Sb
Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We visited Veeraswamy on Wednesday 20 July 11. This is the third and last time we will use this restaurant. The standard of food is average and is certainly not worth the price charged. Moreover, the addition of £12 service charge and £2 charity donation to the bill, without reference, is not acceptable. We all acknowledge good service when we receive it and by nature we are charitable people but lets not take customers for granted.

In addition to inflated food charges the drinks and wine list is ridiculously priced.

Clearly the restaurant has lost its way from the traditions established back in the early 1900's. Advance by all means but remember value for money is what people expect and currently value for money is not what people are getting.

Derek