Le Pont de la Tour

Butlers Wharf, 36d Shad Thames, London, SE1 2YE - View on a map

Le Pont de la Tour Restaurant In London

The Independent

John Walsh - 10/15

Saturday, April 07, 2012 - Tim and I sat under the Pont's wide awnings, admiring the silver tubs of greenery, lit by fairy lights, that give the restaurant's frontage a shimmery glow. We liked the views of the City - the red lights like eyes at the top of the Gherkin, the glowing blue of the Lloyds building...I wish I could rhapsodise and say the food matched the setting, but it didn't. Tim's poached lobster salad was nicely, squidgily chewy with a touch of balsamic and whisper of cucumber, but its 'apple reduction' was over-reduced to vanishing point.

Last year's New Years Eve dinner with dancing was awful. Crammed people into a small table area, music one end of the room, mediocre food at best and very expensive.

Conway Grahame
Sunday, December 09, 2012

Absolutely disgraceful! Booked a table for 3 for Friday last at 7.30pm. Was to be a special occasion so didn't eat before- hand. Travelled some distance to get to London, arrived in London to be told that the table had been 'bumped' back to 8.00pm. Not brililant but hey we could wait 30 mins. Then voicemails to say it was 'bumped' back to 8.30pm.... then some.... the penny finally dropped. Obviously they had orders for tables with more people than we would provide so did not honour our booking. We told them not to bother and went to the Champagne Bar in St Pancras and then on to a proper restaurant great food, great service and professional staff with morals and decency. Good food is no excuse for bad manners and bad customer relations. I have now contacted quite a lot of acquaintances in my network and advised them never to book this restaurant.

Lorna Templeton
Monday, August 22, 2011

Went for dinner on a Sunday to take advantage of the Evening Standard £30 fixed price menu.

Views - Had a seat on the terrace with great views of Tower Bridge, which is the only reason for going.

Service - Always have a problem with arrogant waiters and this was no exception, we were lucky to also be served by a waiter who was charming, polite and friendly - his colleagues could learn a lesson or two.

Menu - The fixed price menu was very short and the selection was poor so we went for the a la carte menu instead. They had run out of foie gras - I'm sorry but for a French restaurant to run out of foie gras is just wrong.

Food - Was very disappointed in the quality of the cooking. Cod & salmon fishcake was dry and tasteless while the sea bream was so lacking in taste it must must have been farmed but then overcooking it so it was dry didn't help.

Wine - The wine list is over priced. You will struggle to find a decent bottle of wine for under £50. We chose a bottle of pouilly fume only to be told it was not recommended as it was too young; the tasting confirmed - this should not be on the wine list. £60 got a decent bottle but it was still over priced.

Value - The meal came in at about £200 for 2 people, for 2 courses with wine and coffee.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

After a poor visit a couple of years ago we'd heard that Point De La Tour was under new management, so gave it another try. Food is lovely, but there the good experience ends. There is still the slow, unattentive and nonchalant service which ruins the lovely food and beautiful location. Having to ask for a menu after being seated for some time is bad enough, but then lengthy waits for mains and starters too. This is a top priced restaurant, but the service does not warrant it.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I took my partner here for his birthday meal last night. It was a lovely evening and the views from the outside seating area are stunning and perfect for a special treat. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who took us straight to a table with perfect views of Tower Bridge etc. From here on the evening didn't go quite as I would have liked.

We waited...and waited for someone to bring us a menu and offer us a drink. A large group of suited business men arrived, were seated and handed menus straight away. Well after nearly 15 minutes we (probably should have protested sooner) we asked for a menu. It then took ages before our order was taken. We got our wine fairly quickly and the starter arrived after about a further 20 minutes which wasn't a problem. I had scallops and they were beautiful both in taste and presentation.

The sommelier was very attentive and although a bit self important he was quite pleasant. After we finished our starters we were left waiting a further 40 minutes, we politely asked if they had forgotten our main course. The duty manager was apologetic but didn't really seem to care. At this point the business people on the table next to us were being served their coffee. Our mains arrived shortly afterwards and was ok but not worth writing about.

After we finished our main course I expected to be shown a dessert menu instead a small plate of cheese and biscuits arrive - compliments of the house. We thought that was nice but would have liked the choice of a dessert. Coffee and tea was served fairly prompty and when I asked for the bill this arrived within a minute. I told the waiter not to include the 12.5 service charge but naively asked him to send over the Sommelier whom I wanted to give a cash tip as he was the only person who gave us a proper service the whole evening. I gave him his money and promptly the duty manager rushed to his side only a few meters from me and took the cash off him. At this point I lost my temper which I now regret so wonte bore anyone with that. I am sure some of the guests last night had a wonderful experience andI know things go wrong sometimes but in this case the staff here were not competent in dealing with the situation.

Kalle Hogh - View all reviews by this user
Friday, June 24, 2011

Pleasant staff and good food in the grill. Having said that... they've got some small things wrong which all together diminish the restaurant:

1. The piano in the grill was way too loud. We weren't the only people to choose a table outside so we could hear each others' conversation

2. The grill wine list was limited and we had to ask for the main wine list

3. Worst of all we couldn't believe they allow customers to smoke on the terrace. Whilst technically not "inside" most restaurants of quality won't allow smoking anywhere near their food and their non-smoking customers.

4. The tables were very close together which again mitigated against free conversation and made point 3 worse

Overall I'd say the kitchen is stil on the money, but front of house has lost its mojo.

Simon E
Sunday, June 12, 2011

I have eaten a few times at this restaurant including one new year's eve. I love the view. I took my girlfriend there on Sunday evening around 2100 after a stroll along river. Although the restaurant was almost empty, the receptionist with European accent told us we could only have a table at the bar area as the restaurant was fully booked. It was a total rubbish! How dare they tell me lies and turn their customers away. We were so appalled by this and decided to go to next door to ask. I will definitely not go back again.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My wife and I and 2 friends dined at the main restaurant 'Le Pont De La tour' on Sunday night. The view from the terrace looking onto Tower Bridge and river was superb. The food was average and the service was slow, and lacked any personal attention. Our wine glasses were constantly empty and had to on several occasions ask for the wine to be poured. Deserts were nearly non-existent as they had run out of several selections. Drinks were expensive but food reasonably priced.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Visited Le Pont De La Tour last night on the special offer and very extremely disappointed. Left with the opinion anyone on the special offer menu was a second class citizen. Booked a table for 8.30pm. When we arrived we were told there were no available tables and there were people in front. They couldnt say when a table would be available so sent us to the bar. Cocktails were £11.25 each. Once we had bought our cocktails a small table suddenly became available. Starters and main courses were great. They had run out of the pudding we wanted - seemed strange on a Saturday night which they must expect to be busy. The bill came to £94. Would never go back or recommend the restaurant to anyone.

Last year we went to the Oxo Tower on a similar deal. Absolutely no comparison. Had a fantastic evening with welcoming staff, excellent food and a brilliant atmosphere.

Alison
Sunday, May 01, 2011

I went to pont de la tour last night on an evening standard offer. Was very nervous after reading reviews but that was short lived as it was wonderful. The service was good, waiters attentive and charming, the food excellent, good buzz of an atmosphere and of course the view. Will definately be coming back

Natasha Macdonald