Hakkasan

8 Hanway Place, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 1HD - View on a map

Hakkasan Restaurant In London

I ate at Hakkasan earlier this week with a friend. All in all it was good and I would return but I was hoping for more.

Service was outstanding, the bar service was excellent and the cocktails are indeed expertly made. The wine list was interesting with some unusual choices alongside some more usual and classic wines.

The food however was a little hit and miss. We started with a salad of crab meat, cherry tomatoes and pickled lotus root. With that we had a duck with mango, a dim sum selection and lemon sauce.

The salad was the star dish which was surprising as the crab meat was insipid and had very little flavor. The dressing on the leaves along with the pickled lotus root (which was delicious) made that dish.

After that came the Dim Sum, the Har Gow were superb but no better or worse than I'd had at competent dim sum restaurants. The other two choices (a scallop mouse affair with salmon roe and a mushroom dumpling) were very nice. I'd happily just tuck into those on another visit and leave the other starters alone.

The duck was superbly cooked but a little ordinary and the mango was not ripe enough for my tastes, though the lemon sauce was lovely but when combined with the duck you lost the taste of duck completely.

For main courses we had a wagu beef with white asparagus, a spicy prawn dish which I didn't taste and a dish of crab and asparagus fried rice.

The beef with asparagus was very good, mainly due to the simplicity of preparation and the quality of the ingredients. The rice gave off a wonderful aroma of crab as the meat was mixed into the rice at the table, I ended up eating mostly rice and asparagus (because it was so good).

My companion had a dessert (a chocolate pot with fresh berries) and I had a glass of dessert wine.

All in all the bill was 275gbp with drinks and gratuity which was fair for the quality of the food but I there was a lack of the wow factor which I had hoped for. Perhaps I am being overly critical but a couple of the dishes (the crab salad and the duck) were just okay.

Adam Daniel
Thursday, November 15, 2012

This did not meet expectations at all

Considering how much you have to pay to eat here, there are a number of complaints.

The tables are really too close together, i went with my wife for her birthday, and we were seated on a small table next to each other, rather than facing each other, this immediately kills the idea of an intimate romantic meal.

The service was efficient to a certain extent, but annoying where on a couple of occasions, after we had got our food, people asked how the food was just after we'd taken a mouthful. little things like make a huge difference between ok service and very good service.

The food was ok, you could say it was absolutely adequate, we had some very nice starters, the Mango Duck and the Ribs were excellent, but then the mains seemed a little bland and nothing like you would expect for that much money.

There was another complaint in that the starters appeared very quickly after ordering, this means that your dishes are not cooked fresh, which also shows that this is nowhere near worth the price of the dishes. We were rushed though, then whilst finishing our desserts told that we were required to leave the table in the next 5 minutes.

After all this, I took umbrage with the 'discretionary' service of 13% being added to the bill, and ensured, that though a tip was given, a more deserving 10% was given.

This restaurant does not match the hype and expectation.

bazzamac
Monday, April 30, 2012

I was taken to Hakkasan for Saturday lunch by my daughter (her treat) as part of our day out together and was blown away. The food is outstanding as is the service. Yes it is not cheap (did not have set menu) but have paid similar sums in every day restaurants and been totally dissatisfied.

the soft shell crab, silver cod and the scallops were amazing. I will definitely go again - probably treat my daughter next time. No hesitation in recommending Hakkasan!

Christina Ogilvie
Monday, April 23, 2012

I don’t know how much of the below I believe but every time I have ever visited Hakkasan it has always maintained and exceeded expectations in food and service!

Staff are always friendly and helpful and the food is always divine!

To Victoria regarding the spring rolls... no offense but why would you come to a place like Hakkasan to order spring rolls in the first place? Spring rolls are for your local Chinese take away and I expect Hakkasan only have them on the menu as people, such as yourself would expect to find them on the menu.

Moving on to other reviews, yes they have a two hour turn over for dinner, the place is in demand what do you expect? But that is more than enough time for a three course meal and you can always move to the bar afterwards if you wish to have a cocktail or three after dinner. (If you are late for your reservation it doesn’t however mean you have two hours from the moment you are seated so be aware of your timing. We always arrive a little early and have a drink at the bar while we wait for our table that way we never have any issues)

We always use Hakkasan for special occasions for dinners as they never fail us! And ladies night out drinks to start off the evening at the bar!

Try the Hakka, it’s their signature cocktails and worth every penny!

I have witnessed many a times where people have proposed to their girlfriends at Hakkasan and I must say the Staff work so hard to make it run smoothly for the nervous gent about to get down on bended knee and try make accommodations for their requests.

Surely if people have chosen to make a life changing decision and then chose Hakkasan to do it in surely it can’t be as terrible as some have tried to make out?

That’s just my two pence worth.

To wrap it up - Yes it is expensive, but which Michelin star restaurant isn’t?

Yes the food is amazing: must try the duck salad, jasmine smoked ribs, Hakka noodles, silver cod, merlot beef, caramel salted torte and hazelnut bomb deserts.

Yes the drinks are amazing: must try the Hakka, any of the wines, walking Buddha.

And lastly the service is always kind, helpful and polite.

Katrina K
Wednesday, March 07, 2012

What a shock.

My first visit to Hakkasan was when it first opened and was fabulous and unique as were subsequent visits my last being about 4 years ago. What has happened?

I received an email on the day that my table had been cancelled, no explanation just cancelled, I called to find out why and received no apology but my booking was reinstated.

Our reservation was for 7.30pm - it had been made clear to me that they needed the table back by 9.30pm so we had made plans to go onto another bar after dinner. However, that did not stop the waitress reminding me on arrival and every time she came to the table thrusting menus in my face. The service throughout was pushy, rude and charmless.

I ordered Morel mushroom spring rolls to start with and at £16 was expecting something a little special, what arrived was 4 spring-rolls on a “bed” of grated carrot, they tasted just like the ones from my local chinese, no finesse with regard to the presentation, no dipping sauces to add flavour to the bland beauties.

Next up was the Stir-fried Chilean Sea Bass with Chinese Celery at £37..it arrived all shinny and glossy (not in a good way but in a MSG way) and more tasteless than the spring rolls, once again a “dumped on the plate” style of presentation added to my misery. I am very annoyed with myself for falling for the hype and ordering on overfished fish, if you can’t do this fish just leave it in the ocean.

I had to ask for soya sauce for each dish to try and add some flavour otherwise I would have just been eating textures.

We did not have dessert and I will never be going back. At over £100 per head with water, wine and service you expect and should receive so much more.

I have spent the last 20 years eating in gorgeous restaurants in our fabulous city and loath the thought that people may book this restaurant for a special meal whilst visiting - don’t, we can do so much better.

Victoria
Monday, February 20, 2012

Went to Hakkasan last wee for the first time and have to say, it was simply outstanding. From the initial welcome, the service throughout - and of course the food, I could not fault a thing. I was with a group of 8 work colleagues and even though we were time limited for the table, never once felt rushed. Some of the reviews of Hakkasan on this site are hilarious and bear no resemblance to the truth. Please don't be put off by the negative and spiteful reviews, just go and enjoy if for yourself!

So Simple - View all reviews by this user
Monday, November 14, 2011

I am really surprised for those people who are writing these bad reviews.

When you think about it how many staff, the size of the restaurant and its location you can understand how much it costs for this restaurant. So that may answer your question why it is only 2 hours time for the guests. It is plenty of time for a full three-course meal to enjoy. If the tables were not rebooked and only one time seated per-night imagine how much it would cost you to have dinner in hakkasan. You can see the kitchen through the glass wall and can you see how many people are working there to prepare the food and the prizes are not that high? Of course you do not think about it, you are too busy complaining about every little thing, because you think that you are something special, but you are not. Hakkasan is one of the most popular and high-class chinese restaurants in London so if you do not like it, do not ever come back. But I am shure you still keep going to that place.

The food is amazing, the cocktails are great and the staff is working as hard as they can to keep all the guests satisfied.

Julien
Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The staff is despicable. Really bad service from rude women. Food ok, but over all will not recommend and we are certain to never come back. A word for the managers: staff makes a house!!!

AP - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 22, 2011

This restaurant is amazing! I came here for my birthday dinner last Friday and have spent the past week mentally planning my return and what I want to try next!

On entering the restaurant, my first impression of the place was good. It’s really dark, it’s really stylish and it’s really underground! Hakkasan is in the middle of the city but feels quite hidden and inscrutable.

I arrived at 7pm and went straight to the bar for a ‘Pink Mao Mao’ (recommended by the barman) – it was divine – a delicious mix of watermelon, strawberries, Belvedere vodka, Akashi-tai sake, strawberry liqueur and black pepper, and beautifully presented. My date had the refreshing ‘Chinese Mule’, which is a mix of vodka, Sake, cilantro, ginger, lime and ginger beer. I then ordered the Hakkasan signature cocktail ‘The Hakka’ (made from Belvedere vodka, Akashi-tai sake, lychee juice, lime, coconut and passion fruit); it was incredibly sweet but equally wonderful.

We were taken to our table at 7:30pm and introduced to our waiter, who was polite and efficient all evening. The menu is extensive and we opted for the Salt and pepper squid, Crispy duck roll and Lamb salad with spicy peanut dressing for our starter course, and the Stir-fry black pepper rib-eye beef with merlot, Sha Cha Seafood Toban with silver cod, scallop, prawn, squid, chow chow and edamame, with rice and noodles for our main course. It was ALL MOUTH-WATERINGLY DELECTABLE!

I don’t usually like squid but I liked the squid here, the Crispy duck roll wasn’t heavy or greasy and the lamb salad (albeit very, very spicy – I was warned beforehand) was lovely. The Sha Cha Seafood Toban went down quickly and the rib-eye beef with merlot was one of the most tasty dishes I have ever eaten – absolutely delightful – tender and juicy! I have no complaints whatsoever – it was quite simply decadent, yet heartening at the same time.

We then ordered some more cocktails, this time we tried the ‘Blue Wanda’, a luscious mix of Grey Goose Le Citron vodka, red grapes, apple, lychee liqueur and prosecco. The flavours in the mix were refined - strong and sharp, which was perfect since dessert was next!

For my dessert, I ordered the ‘Jivara Hazelnut Bomb’ – a milk chocolate and hazelnut ice cream parfait with hot chocolate sauce!!! It was like being served heaven on a plate! I have a sweet tooth, so this couldn’t have been more suited to my palate. The only way I can describe it is if you can imagine eating a really large Ferrero Rocher with hazelnut ice cream inside and then having hot chocolate sauce poured on top! If it didn’t look so greedy, I would have ordered two of these! My date had the sorbet – it looked pretty appealing but I was far too engrossed in my own dessert to even sample it (though I have been told it was very nice).

For me, Hakkasan isn’t just about the food; it’s about the setting the scene, providing a faultless service – which is both charming and relaxed, and ensuring that people have a truly enjoyable evening. To sum up the whole experience, I was really, really impressed. I must admit that I cannot comment on the prices since I never saw the bill at the end ;) but it was a genuinely special experience and I can’t wait to go back.

Hakkasan is the kind of place that every gluttonous human being, with a taste for luxury, will adore.

Sarah Highfield - View all reviews by this user
Monday, September 19, 2011

Possibly the best Dim Sum I have ever had in my life! If you are not serious about food, then please do not come here, or only come at night. The Dim Sum and Lunch is inventive, absolutely delicious, unique, with high quality ingredients. Expensive and but worth every penny. Night time is for all the posh posers that want to be seen. That is fine. Lunch is for the people that care about eating possibly some of the best Chinese food in the World. It is expensive, the service can be over the top and the decor is decadent, but the food is worth it alL. This is modern Dim Sum and Chinese food at its finest.
View/Add comments (1)

WMLA - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, September 10, 2011

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 8/10

Monday, August 08, 2011 - From the tipping the bill end of the scale, Hakkasan's signature silver cod roasted in champagne was a must order for us despite the hefty price tag. The cod was silken and dripped with the thick, rich champagne sauce. We teamed it with a side order of sauteed morning glory which was crisp and slightly sweet and some crunchy deep fried squid which was addictively moreish...Not everything was perfect. The annoying two hour time limit at tables was enforced and on the food front the dim sum platter was overly steamed leaving the dumplings on the soggy side.