Hakkasan

8 Hanway Place, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 1HD - View on a map

Hakkasan Restaurant In London

I ate at Hakkasan earlier this week with a friend. All in all it was good and I would return but I was hoping for more.

Service was outstanding, the bar service was excellent and the cocktails are indeed expertly made. The wine list was interesting with some unusual choices alongside some more usual and classic wines.

The food however was a little hit and miss. We started with a salad of crab meat, cherry tomatoes and pickled lotus root. With that we had a duck with mango, a dim sum selection and lemon sauce.

The salad was the star dish which was surprising as the crab meat was insipid and had very little flavor. The dressing on the leaves along with the pickled lotus root (which was delicious) made that dish.

After that came the Dim Sum, the Har Gow were superb but no better or worse than I'd had at competent dim sum restaurants. The other two choices (a scallop mouse affair with salmon roe and a mushroom dumpling) were very nice. I'd happily just tuck into those on another visit and leave the other starters alone.

The duck was superbly cooked but a little ordinary and the mango was not ripe enough for my tastes, though the lemon sauce was lovely but when combined with the duck you lost the taste of duck completely.

For main courses we had a wagu beef with white asparagus, a spicy prawn dish which I didn't taste and a dish of crab and asparagus fried rice.

The beef with asparagus was very good, mainly due to the simplicity of preparation and the quality of the ingredients. The rice gave off a wonderful aroma of crab as the meat was mixed into the rice at the table, I ended up eating mostly rice and asparagus (because it was so good).

My companion had a dessert (a chocolate pot with fresh berries) and I had a glass of dessert wine.

All in all the bill was 275gbp with drinks and gratuity which was fair for the quality of the food but I there was a lack of the wow factor which I had hoped for. Perhaps I am being overly critical but a couple of the dishes (the crab salad and the duck) were just okay.

Adam Daniel
Thursday, November 15, 2012

This did not meet expectations at all

Considering how much you have to pay to eat here, there are a number of complaints.

The tables are really too close together, i went with my wife for her birthday, and we were seated on a small table next to each other, rather than facing each other, this immediately kills the idea of an intimate romantic meal.

The service was efficient to a certain extent, but annoying where on a couple of occasions, after we had got our food, people asked how the food was just after we'd taken a mouthful. little things like make a huge difference between ok service and very good service.

The food was ok, you could say it was absolutely adequate, we had some very nice starters, the Mango Duck and the Ribs were excellent, but then the mains seemed a little bland and nothing like you would expect for that much money.

There was another complaint in that the starters appeared very quickly after ordering, this means that your dishes are not cooked fresh, which also shows that this is nowhere near worth the price of the dishes. We were rushed though, then whilst finishing our desserts told that we were required to leave the table in the next 5 minutes.

After all this, I took umbrage with the 'discretionary' service of 13% being added to the bill, and ensured, that though a tip was given, a more deserving 10% was given.

This restaurant does not match the hype and expectation.

bazzamac
Monday, April 30, 2012

I was taken to Hakkasan for Saturday lunch by my daughter (her treat) as part of our day out together and was blown away. The food is outstanding as is the service. Yes it is not cheap (did not have set menu) but have paid similar sums in every day restaurants and been totally dissatisfied.

the soft shell crab, silver cod and the scallops were amazing. I will definitely go again - probably treat my daughter next time. No hesitation in recommending Hakkasan!

Christina Ogilvie
Monday, April 23, 2012

I donít know how much of the below I believe but every time I have ever visited Hakkasan it has always maintained and exceeded expectations in food and service!

Staff are always friendly and helpful and the food is always divine!

To Victoria regarding the spring rolls... no offense but why would you come to a place like Hakkasan to order spring rolls in the first place? Spring rolls are for your local Chinese take away and I expect Hakkasan only have them on the menu as people, such as yourself would expect to find them on the menu.

Moving on to other reviews, yes they have a two hour turn over for dinner, the place is in demand what do you expect? But that is more than enough time for a three course meal and you can always move to the bar afterwards if you wish to have a cocktail or three after dinner. (If you are late for your reservation it doesnít however mean you have two hours from the moment you are seated so be aware of your timing. We always arrive a little early and have a drink at the bar while we wait for our table that way we never have any issues)

We always use Hakkasan for special occasions for dinners as they never fail us! And ladies night out drinks to start off the evening at the bar!

Try the Hakka, itís their signature cocktails and worth every penny!

I have witnessed many a times where people have proposed to their girlfriends at Hakkasan and I must say the Staff work so hard to make it run smoothly for the nervous gent about to get down on bended knee and try make accommodations for their requests.

Surely if people have chosen to make a life changing decision and then chose Hakkasan to do it in surely it canít be as terrible as some have tried to make out?

Thatís just my two pence worth.

To wrap it up - Yes it is expensive, but which Michelin star restaurant isnít?

Yes the food is amazing: must try the duck salad, jasmine smoked ribs, Hakka noodles, silver cod, merlot beef, caramel salted torte and hazelnut bomb deserts.

Yes the drinks are amazing: must try the Hakka, any of the wines, walking Buddha.

And lastly the service is always kind, helpful and polite.

Katrina K
Wednesday, March 07, 2012

What a shock.

My first visit to Hakkasan was when it first opened and was fabulous and unique as were subsequent visits my last being about 4 years ago. What has happened?

I received an email on the day that my table had been cancelled, no explanation just cancelled, I called to find out why and received no apology but my booking was reinstated.

Our reservation was for 7.30pm - it had been made clear to me that they needed the table back by 9.30pm so we had made plans to go onto another bar after dinner. However, that did not stop the waitress reminding me on arrival and every time she came to the table thrusting menus in my face. The service throughout was pushy, rude and charmless.

I ordered Morel mushroom spring rolls to start with and at £16 was expecting something a little special, what arrived was 4 spring-rolls on a ďbedĒ of grated carrot, they tasted just like the ones from my local chinese, no finesse with regard to the presentation, no dipping sauces to add flavour to the bland beauties.

Next up was the Stir-fried Chilean Sea Bass with Chinese Celery at £37..it arrived all shinny and glossy (not in a good way but in a MSG way) and more tasteless than the spring rolls, once again a ďdumped on the plateĒ style of presentation added to my misery. I am very annoyed with myself for falling for the hype and ordering on overfished fish, if you canít do this fish just leave it in the ocean.

I had to ask for soya sauce for each dish to try and add some flavour otherwise I would have just been eating textures.

We did not have dessert and I will never be going back. At over £100 per head with water, wine and service you expect and should receive so much more.

I have spent the last 20 years eating in gorgeous restaurants in our fabulous city and loath the thought that people may book this restaurant for a special meal whilst visiting - donít, we can do so much better.

Victoria
Monday, February 20, 2012

Went to Hakkasan last wee for the first time and have to say, it was simply outstanding. From the initial welcome, the service throughout - and of course the food, I could not fault a thing. I was with a group of 8 work colleagues and even though we were time limited for the table, never once felt rushed. Some of the reviews of Hakkasan on this site are hilarious and bear no resemblance to the truth. Please don't be put off by the negative and spiteful reviews, just go and enjoy if for yourself!

So Simple - View all reviews by this user
Monday, November 14, 2011

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 8/10

Monday, August 08, 2011 - From the tipping the bill end of the scale, Hakkasan's signature silver cod roasted in champagne was a must order for us despite the hefty price tag. The cod was silken and dripped with the thick, rich champagne sauce. We teamed it with a side order of sauteed morning glory which was crisp and slightly sweet and some crunchy deep fried squid which was addictively moreish...Not everything was perfect. The annoying two hour time limit at tables was enforced and on the food front the dim sum platter was overly steamed leaving the dumplings on the soggy side.