Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

68 Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London, SW3 4HP - View on a map

Restaurant Gordon Ramsay Restaurant In London

Metro

Andy Lynes - 4/5

Thursday, April 25, 2013 - Navarin, a simple French country spring lamb stew, is subjected to maximum haute cuisine shenanigans but emerges with its dignity intact. Slices of perfectly pink roasted best end come with meltingly tender braised shank, confit breast and shoulder with more of that baby spring veg and an intense yet light lamb jus...If you want classical cooking and old-school service and you’re willing to pay for it, even the most trend-conscious hipster would have to concede it’s hard to beat.

Went here (31/10/12) for lunch with a friend who is shellfish allergic, which they handled well. I'm sure we were missed out on bread the first time, a later arriving couple got theirs first. The ever observant Jean Claude Breton was there to ensure everything was spot on, and chatted to all diners, which was nice. Sommelier is not pushy and took my modest order without a flicker of disgust (lol!)

The food is exemplary, the halibut with ras el hanout broth was a little over seasoned, but otherwise lovely, I'm afraid the desserts were the weakest part of the meal, a bit of a so what finish.

Must return for the a la carte.

Fu-Dog
Friday, November 02, 2012

I came here last weekend with my partner as he has always wanted to eat in a three Michelin star restaurant. The main thing that stuck out for me was that absolutely faultless service by all the staff. They could not do enough for us and made us feel welcome from start to finish, with just the right amount of interaction and knowing when to leave you in peace.

The food was superb, it's probably not the best food I have ever had, but the presentation and combination of ingredients were amazing and it was very tasty. The restaurant itself was stylish and modern without being stark and felt very comfortable.

Overall, this was a great experience and I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for fine dining without fear of being judged by the wait staff.

Clare Smith
Sunday, December 04, 2011

Very good indeed, but not mind-blowing.

I ought to explain that I was part of a large party who went to the restaurant to celebrate a birthday. This was almost certainly the wrong restaurant for such an event - but that is not the fault of the restaurant.

The restaurant is small, smart and congenial in an ever so slightly low-ceilinged, 1980's front-room kind of way. I was very concious that many of the other diners would have saved up to spend a special evening there. Most of them will have been disappointed to find two loud, braying tables of over-lubricated old friends dominating the room.

We spent an hour in the bar before being seated - again, not the restaurant's fault: late arrivals necessitated (I was a bit surprised that the skill of the bar staff did not run to knocking up a negroni). The bar is ill-suited and cramped for a dozen or more enthusiastic occupants.

The service was at all times absolutely faultless. The mis-match between our party's exuberance and the restaurant's cultured reserve must have been as obvious to the the maitre d' and staff as it was to me, however we were treated with every possible courtesy and accommodation. Not an eyelid was batted that we delayed sitting down at our table until almost an hour later than our booking - this must have been a horror for the kitchen, and some fair allowance should be made for this in relation to the food which followed.

We had the Prestige menu, of 7 courses. The highlights were brilliant, however only perhaps 3 courses reached such heights - the turbot and lamb in particular stood out. The pasta of the lobster ravioli was a bit dried out and tacky - maybe a result of serving so many at once; however the bisque served with it was sublime. The portions were titchy, even for a tasting menu - the langoustine in chicken broth being a stark example: a tiny fragment of crustacean in a delightful puddle of broth, hoovered up in a couple of mouthfuls. Both my wife and I went home hungry. I have eaten recently at Murano's and recognise the shared, Ramsay, kitchen DNA - I however rate the cooking at Murano's slightly more highly.

The sommelier - a very pleasant, helpful young woman (Sharon, I think) - assisted us with the formidable list. We were bound to the modest end as we were not (all) bankers. She approved our choice of a Cote Chalonnaise (white burgundy - an ok-ish £58) and having found that our first two choices of Kiwi and Californian Pinots were almost out of stock, steered us to a versatile Italian, Tegoldego Rotaliano Foradori (£55). There was no unwelcome attempt to up-sell us on the wine, which was greatly appreciated. She was discrete and cool.

A birthday cake, complete with candles was presented at the end of the meal and the staff lead a boisterous "Happy Birthday". I hadn't expected that! What bold style and confidence for the maitre d' and staff to do this in the teeth of the frustration they must have felt towards us. Again I say it: the service was simply incomparably good.

Credit to almost all the other diners in the restaurant who seemed to accept the presence of our party in good spirits. I only spotted one frosty, teeth-grinding pair who looked daggers at us throughout, and I could hardly blame them for it (I did get the impression they weren't much enjoying each others company, and it may be this that sharpened their bitterness at the fun we were having).

It was not a cheap meal, but this was no surprise. Many aperitifs and digestifs were consumed, as well as plenty of wine. The menu is £125 per person and we brought that up to £250 a head. £500 for my wife and I to eat dinner is a great deal more than I have ever spent before. Was it worth it? Well I was glad I did it - it was an excellent and very memorable evening, but I don't expect I will be rushing back too soon.

Kwev
Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Pure class, from the greeting at the door, to the very end. Food that is awesome (pied de cochon is historic), wonderful sommelier (Jan), possibly the best maitre'd in the world (Jean-Claude).

Having lunched and dined here several times over the years it still holds up as among the very best, not one thing has ever disappointed and I still love the closing ice cream chocolates served in the smoky bowl!

Stephen