Fish! Kitchen (Borough Market)

Cathedral Street, Borough Market, London, SE1 9AL - View on a map

Fish! Kitchen (Borough Market) Restaurant In London

This Is London

This Is London

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - Celebrity restaurateur Tony Allan promises freshness, sustainability and good value for money' at Fish! Kitchen. Judging by his Borough Market branch, Allan is a man who keeps his promises. Fish! Kitchen is more than just an upmarket chippy, it serves good quality food so when it comes to the classic fish and chips, expect a cut above the usual take on the favourite. Unique twists are given to other traditional British fish dishes. It is also worth trying the succulent Oysters or the Swordfish Club Sandwich.

what a disappointment.

I am struggling to think of a good thing to say so lets start with the menu,

starter of whitebait: very small portion and so overcooked that I may have been eating sawdust.

accompanying bread was hard and six half slices between two at a whopping £5.90.

main course grilled dover sole with a side of chips: The dover sole was so over cooked that it was like eating rubber, the chips arrived after the meal after many requests.

dessert sticky toffee pudding: Overcooked and hard in places.

Service: very poor when you wanted something. I had to repeatedly ask for the side dishes, you only saw the waiter when they wanted to sell you something "more drinks sir" must be a catchphrase at Fish.

Price: £783.69 for two without drinks..... make your own mind up.

Service: 12.5% added onto the bill like it or not.

I am a local of London and with so many good places to eat in London, this was one of the worst I have experienced in a long time. I would never return to FISH. everything poor you have been warned.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

I can only agree with the previous reviews. This place is a complete rip off, the prices are sky high for extremely average food. How they can get away with such miserly portions and average quality for whitebait and calamari starters is quite extraordinary. Chips were unbelievably bad (ended up being taken off bill). The only highlight was a decent piece of steamed halibut. I can not recommend.

Richard Curtis - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lousy food. The chips were rock hard and tasted like they were a day old - with fish and chips that is half the meal, and if you are paying £17 that is ridiculous.

Service is also distinctly average, and acoustics are terrible -- it was hard for our table of 4 to carry on a table-wide conversation that everyone could hear.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

I fell victim to the 'lets ignore the reviews' brigade, silly me! The descriptions by others are totally accurate; complacent, overpriced, lacking atmosphere , poor service, all are honest and correct. The wait between indifferent courses was ridiculous and it wasn't that busy. The number of times drink orders were wrong or forgotten was unforgivable. To be frank the owner cannot read reviews because it appears that it is all ignored and if that is because he/she thinks we are all wrong, then there is your answer. I will not return and urge other to take note of these reviews because they are true.

Russell B
Thursday, June 13, 2013

Visited the Fish! Kitchen yesterday (Saturday 20th April 2013) and I have to agreed with the poor reviews.

We ordered olives and anchovies, x11 olives x1 of which was rotten, the anchovies lacked any taste.

My main was sardines x4 and some limp salad leaves, then one of the sardines was off, when I pointed this out to the waiter his response was to shrug his shoulders and offer me a free coffee.

Never again, poor sevice and poor food.

AlanMac - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, April 21, 2013

Chose Fish in Borough Market for brunch before the Shard this morning. The restaurant was fairly quiet, food arrived before my coffee 5 minutes later. Waited for an eternity to pay the bill and the waiter applied the 12.5% 'discretionary' service charge regardless of whether I was happy to pay it....

Disappointing... I won't be returning.

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Terrible restaurant. I ordered smoked salmon, followed by hake with salsa verde. The smoked salmon was nice but it was just a plate of it with NO greenery at all. The bread that accompanied it was thickly sliced and it would have been nicer if they were half the width!

The hake was okay - a little overcooked for my liking. However, the salsa verde was disgusting - it was far too garlicky and lacked in other flavours. Like previous reviewers, I agree that it is overpriced - a tiny bowl of spinach for almost a fiver?? Really?? The food just isn't worth the prices that are being charged.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Horrible. Over priced and complacent.

Thursday, October 04, 2012

OK let me start just by saying DONT GO THERE! ;)

Ordered their small dressed crab for starters at £15 what was served to me was a very small jar of crab meat like something you would get ketchup in! Silly me for thinking i had ordered a small dressed crab as per the menu.

To wash it down we had ordered what was described as " homemade lemonade" but to my amazement watched the bar staff make it with Tap water, some ice cubes, 4 slices of lemon and lemon syrup or in others words Tap water with Lemon for only £5.95 ;)

At this point we finished the meal and did not dare order mains, I spoke to the mamanger and was Told "Sir we have been doing this for 15 years with no complaints" oh it just must be then that doesnt mind being ripped off

Friday, September 14, 2012

We can only reflect on the other reviews. Acceptable food but ludicrous prices - £5 for a small side of spinach is ridiculous. Wine list poor and very over-priced. The restaurants in the rest of the market were packed, there were tables free here...

Charles Spicer