Mao Tai

58 New King's Road, Parsons Green, London, SW6 4LS - View on a map

Mao Tai  Restaurant In London

This place has clearly had its time...... Food average (local Chinese takeaway on a par)....... Service average....... Cocktails average. For the money you spend there's hundreds of better options in London (pizza express being one of them!)

Shame really, a place living on past reputations........for over £100 per head value for money is disgusting (bit like the shredded beef)!

I'm not sure how the chef/owners can sleep at night.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Trendy place with good atmosphere and superb food. Extensive and interesting menu, superb wine list and friendly staff.

Much enjoyed the cocktails and great waiters behind the bar.

Monday, September 17, 2012

We've been to this restaurant a number of times over the past year and have never had a bad meal yet. We've been looked after properly from the moment we arrived to the moment we left and wouldn't go anywhere else for Chinese food in west London. Try the salt and pepper squid . . . heaven!!

Saturday, September 08, 2012

Loved Mao Tai...i've been out of the country so I havent been for a few years. What a great evening, the food was even better than before, there were more light choices and as always the service was friendly and efficient, they even recognised me!! The cocktails were amazing... loved the atmosphere. Now I'm back i'll definitely return more often.

monks - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, August 19, 2012

We visited here several nights ago as a party of four and had some really good food, but we were completely shocked by appallingly rude waiter and the mysteriously disappearing bottles of champagne/wine that seemed to be finishing themselves whilst they weren't on our table!

Having ordered a bottle of champagne to start with, we each had a glass poured for us - probably 2/3 of a glass full and the bottle was put in a bucket away from our table that had several other bottles in at the time. When it came to wanting a top up I looked over at the bucket and saw our bottle wasn't there, I then asked the waiter where it was.

He said it was finished and "you saw me pour the last drop into your glass". I challenged him on this, and he said "maybe you've had more to drink than you think if you can't remember this". To save an argument we ordered another bottle, only for the same thing to happen!! Four glasses of champagne out of a 750ml bottle, and it then disappeared and we were told we saw him pour the last drop! When I questioned him on this he then said "maybe you shouldn't be drinking if you can't remember this". Unbelievable. When I said to him that he should be treating his customers better he replied "plenty of other people are spending more money than you, and ordering more, so don't think you are special".

The two female members of our party wanted another drink so we ordered a bottle of wine and each had a glass of this. But the same thing happened yet again!! When we asked for a top up he said the bottle was finished and there was no more left! When we said we thought there was something fishy going on here he said "I think you've had enough", stormed off and came back one minute later to slam the bill down on the table. The bill was approx £350, 1/2 of which probably was accounted for by the drink that had mysteriously disappeared.

This is a Mayfair, Michelin starred price for what was good, but not exceptional food, with horrific service, in an average location. If you want to be insulted and ripped off, visit this restaurant, otherwise save your money and time for somewhere better, where they value your custom.

Disappointed male, 30
Monday, April 02, 2012

One of my favourite restaurants, lucky we will so close. Fabulous food, excellent attentive service, great decor. Love it! Not cheap but well worth it.

rachelpp - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, October 27, 2011

I am so surprised by these bad reviews. I have been to Mao Tai more than a few times over the last 3 years as I live pretty close. I always leave having enjoyed a really nice meal, normally with a nice cocktail to start.

The duck pancakes are always a winner- never fail to impress.

I really like the decor- especially up at the front near the bar.

The only point I would pick up is the cost- you can eat very well in central london for the same price.

VH - View all reviews by this user
Friday, June 17, 2011

I have visited Mao Tai a number of times over the past couple of years and have to say that I love it. Its not cheap but I do think the food is very good. I lived in Hong Kong for many years and am a big foodie so I think I know good asian food when I come across it and the food at Mao Tai is tasty, fresh and doesnt contain msg's. I am very surprised by the reviews that knock the food. The decor isnt particularly exciting but it works and actually reminds me of many smart/trendy eateries I frequented in HK! They also do fab cocktails for pre dinner drinks and service has always been good. It is one of the best smart asian restaurants I have been to and would recommend to anyone.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The moment I returned home from dining at the Mao Tai, I felt compleled to warn prospective patrons of its short comings. I was disappointed for a number of reasons. When I go out to eat I expect to be served good food in an atmosphere in keeping with the theme of the restaurant. I felt that neither the quality of food, nor the ambience were reflected in the price. If you are seeking a good oriental meal, go to elsewhere.

Friday, April 22, 2011