Royal China (Baker St)

24-26 Baker Street, Marylebone, London, W1U 7AB - View on a map

I love the decor of this branch and as itís always so busy the atmosphere is great. Iíve been going here for years now and every time I have a fantastic time, Iím always taking friends here so they can try it out. Definitely the best place in London for Cantonese cooking.

Sophie
Wednesday, March 26, 2014

We were disappointed with our visit tonight 25 Nov 2012. We had to wait for our table although we had booked. But worse was to come as we had to wait fully 40 mins for our food to arrive. The waitresses fobbed us off for a while but eventually admitted the kitchen had lost our order. Food was fine when it came but when we complained again at the end and asked for a reduction they only gave us 10pc off. Will not be back.

Fiona Clague
Sunday, November 25, 2012

We ate here today as a family of seven with a 9 month old baby in tow.The staff were very helpful, found us a table immediately, produced a high chair and smiled at the baby.

The food was good, it came quickly, was delicious and not overly expensive.We will be going back.

Monday, August 27, 2012

As a resident in Marylebone we used to go to this restaurant all the time. Since it is a mere 200 metres from our flat. However something must have changed, since the service have taken a big nose dive lately. We arrived early one evening about a week ago to dine. We hadnt booked but it was not even 7pm and the restaurant was empty. The waiter seated us at the worst table there was. when we asked if we could be moved to a better one and since we were having a quick dinner, his response was that they were all booked. we then questioned if all those tables had been booked specifically? i.e. not just a table for 2 but that they had specified they wanted table 10 , the 2nd on the right side and so on?? (which of course is very unlikely). the waiter then said yes and didnt seem to care we were unhappy. we then told him we are regular customers and we dont count too on being happy? he didnt care and ignored us! so we left. still hungry and so disappointed. we ended up going opposite to that new courtyard restaurant instead. the food is not as nice but at least they were smiley and looked after us very well! i will not go back to royal china again.

Lina
Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I would not come back to this restaurant ever in my life:

1. The service was poor and if you refuse to pay less than the 14% tip they label as "recommended gratuity". We offered to pay 10% on a £400 bill but unfortunately this was apparently not acceptable and they threatened to charge us for the previously agreed complimentary tea if we refused to pay the full 14%.

2. When we asked for the manager's name for our complaint letter, the manager refused to give us her full name.

How does that level of service deserve £40 of gratuity when a 3 Michelin star restaurant charges 12.5% OPTIONAL service charge.

The food was unmarkable. There are better restaurants to go to in my opinion.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Expect a half hour wait for your table with no apology, very average food and rude staff. Don't complain to the manager either as he's the rudest man I've ever encountered in a restaurant.
View/Add comments (1)

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I had passed this restaurant several times during my short stays in London. However, today I decided to have dinner. Given the ambiance and crowds that have usually filled this restaurant, unfortunately, I was not impressed with the cuisine.

I did not want to be ambitious and try exotic dishes, just simple Tom Yam soup and normal chicken with Vegetable rice. The soup had very strong smell and taste of seafood and the chicken was both extremely salty and grainy (sand like) like chewing sand.

The vegetable rice were the only good dish.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

I would highly recommend this restaurant to the locals and tourists. Giving it a 5 star review is simply doing an injustice to the outstanding quality of food and service it provides. Not only the food is superb, credit to the fantastic Chef Hong , the lovely ambient environment just give you a very relaxed dinning experience. . With its highly trained professional staff who go an extra mile in ensuring customers have a wonderful dinning experience, its convenient location and modern deco, no wonder most of my friends chose to entertain their guests there. I cannot say the same for other branches of Royal China but I can say the Baker Street's restaurant is always my preferred choice of restaurant.

Rosaline Wong - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Went to this restaurant many times (around 15 times), I really like the quality of the food and the variety, moreover the lunch deal is a very good one. food wise very good taste and quality! 15 out of 15 times loved the food

Downside- in general the service is very poor and lack of smile! especially when they charge you for the bill they hardly smile. another Downside - the toilet are old and smelly - please refurbish then as soon as possible! 15 out of fifteen times hated the service!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I have been going to the Queensway branch for 20 years with my parents (who grew up in China) and the staff there know three generations of my family by name. So I was reluctant to change, but had to because Queensway is being refurbished. It turns out that the staff at Baker Street are very friendly, extremely prompt, helpful and attentive, even during a weekday lunchtime rush, and the food was just as good as Queensway. Hurray! I tried it with a friend who comes all the way from New York partly for the Royal China dim sum - you just can't get them as good even in Chinatown in NY - and I'm going back with my family this evening.

SimonC