Royal China (Queensway)

13 Queensway, Bayswater, London, W2 4QJ - View on a map

Metro

Marina O'Loughlin

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - There have been no charm-school lessons for the staff. They stop short of actual rudeness but there's little welcome or warmth to be found...Still, Royal China's dim sum offering is still up there with the best in town. The har gau are smaller than the mass-produced dumplings you'll find elsewhere. The wrappers are elastic and translucent, pregnant with fresh, crunchy prawns. In addition to the classics, there's a separate menu of pimped-up dumplings: a version of those insanely addictive flaky pastry puffs stuffed with beef and black pepper instead of jammy pork.

Foodepedia

Foodepedia

Thursday, January 19, 2012 - Taste wise, no complaints, the chili-spiked black bean spare ribs were the usual gelatinous tussle but that's where the flavour is. The turnip cake was as good as any I've had and nothing disappointed, although I had forgotten how beef balls don't really do it for me. The BBQ pork buns were well textured in their usual peculiar way; some can be like forcing down savoury candy floss but these were spot on, if a little light on filling...Price wise Royal China costs no more than Chinatown and the number of Chinese people eating showed that its popularity hasn't been affected by its new look and style.

Three of us ate well over a dozen dishes between us, each consisting of three dumplings, rolls, diimsum etc. The quality of the food was among the best I've ever had. The ingredients and combinations were a delight and everything was well prepared and sumptiously varied. Including some drinks, tea, desserts the whole bill came to only £80. Which for me is surprisingly good value.

There was a queue and the service was quite dry, but when you're so busy I think it must be hard to truly engage with everyone. Perhaps they could hire more waiters or train them up a bit in making people feel valued. Other than that, they were perfectly polite and would satisfy all but the most demanding customers.

For me the food is the point, if I want service I'll go to a brothel :) LOL just joking.

It's not somewhere you would want to have a nice long family meal, but is perfect for a meeting or lunch/dinner date that is time-efficient and delicious.

Pras
Saturday, September 14, 2013

Food is very fresh. Shame about the unfriendly staff. A smile wouldn't hurt.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

I really really disliked you restaurant. Your staff are rude and all they are trying to do is to take your food away without asking so you do order more so you can make more money. I will never come there and will not recommend it to anybody...

Saeid
Tuesday, March 05, 2013

There is limited space and quite a queue especially at lunch time. (I went on a Sunday afternoon) The food came quick enough, hot and delicious! I recommend the "Char Siew Sou" (Char Siew in pastry puffs) which simply melts in your mouth and is delicious. The egg custard tarts were yummy as well, and so was the Cheung.

However, I hated the service. I only noticed one waiter who seemed to be a pretty nice, friendly bloke, but the rest of the girls who waited on us were robotic and sour. When we were ordering more food, she would hurry off before we are done with our request, and we have to tell her to come back, and after telling her the second food item she turns around to go, thinking we are done with our order. No manners.

When we did not pay for the 13% recommended service charge, the waitress had the cheek to ask us whether it was because we didn't want to pay the money or because of the service. When we told her the latter, she grabbed the bill and money and walked off in a huff. I would come back for the food, but if I get annoyed again I'm going to find somewhere else to have my Chinese food.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Service here is terribe. You'd definitely get treated better in Wong kei, except royal china is 10x more expensive. Waiters/ waitresses purposefully ignore you, or talk to you as if you're massively inconviencing them all the time. When my drink took longer than the food, the woman said "it's busy, can't you see?" it was actually half empty.

I've tried to give it a chance. I lived nearby, so have been many times. My experience of poor service is not just a one off. You may have to get up and get a glass.

Dsfan
Saturday, September 01, 2012

Food is above average for dim sum but the service is horrendous!!! They should really have a better customer service greeting people and answering phone calls... As I called them up just recently and was not greeted by any professional/ customer courtesy...

Wednesday, January 04, 2012