Royal China (Canary Wharf)

30 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf, London, E14 8RR - View on a map

Royal China (Canary Wharf) Restaurant In London

Colleagues and I took to visit this restaurant after failing to get a desirable table at nearby Gaucho. We were rushed through our meal and subjected to the worst customer service I have ever known. Despite this we found the occasion amusing. The food though a little sloppy on presentation was satisfactory. the staff who served us should spend a week or so learning service skills from somewhere like Shanghai Blues in Holborn.

Brian Johnson
Sunday, July 20, 2014

Robotic staff who like to clear away your table as you're eating, took the money without a thank you after the ridiculous service charge! Manners go a long way, and the staff had none! Not a shred of good customer service between them. It looked great from the outside but the overall experience is was average at best, disappointing to say the least.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Hearing about queuing at the weekend for a table put me off eating here at first, but if you arrive early (they open at Noon), then youíll be seated quickly. The large outside terrace has gorgeous views across the River Thames, so it was the perfect restaurant with the fantastic weather we had last week!

Bev
Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My friend and I were looking forward to a nice meal after work and generally just to relax. I ordered an aubergine with shrimp which I didnít like. When I asked to change my meal, I was told I couldnít in a very rude way with no regard for me as a customer. At the end of the meal, we decided not to pay for the service charge as we were not impressed with how they had handled things, we only paid for the food.

The waitress that was serving us shouted at us saying that by us not paying the service charge, she would not get paid! This is ridiculous as the service charge is OPTIONAL! She made the payment and rudely handed me back my card. She went to her boss and we were asked never to go back there.

I would not recommend this place to anyone. They are rude and do not know the meaning of customer service.
View/Add comments (1)

Disappointed Customer
Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Another nice meal in Royal China last night. We had crispy aromatic duck; Schezuan prawns, special fried rice and satay chicken (main), plus a bottle of wine for £70. Service was nothing short of excellent, and they asked us if we wanted a break between courses. Staff very attentive, and the place was packed, as always.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Regularly have Dim Sum here for Sunday lunch and always find the food delicious and the service friendly. Yes, it gets very busy and you will likely queue if you donít get the timing right but itís still one of the best restaurants in London for Dim Sum.

Mike
Sunday, September 16, 2012

Me and my friend were so exited to go there it looked amazing from the outside and we had high hopes as the place was almost full. However as we entered we were somewhat rushed to a table which already gave a stressed appearance. The service was so bad that I at times wondered if they even understood what I was saying or just didn't care.

The food was terrible. I normally eat up anything I order and considering it was expensive I really tried, I even asked for sauces (an order which they forgot the first time cause they seemed to be chatting casually to other Chinese people) to try to mask the terrible taste of the meal. It was like a really bad take away. In the end I had to leave the meal half finished cause my taste buds just couldn't take any more. I had ordered a vegetarian meal but it surely tasted of some meat or was it just something stale, it was hard to tell cause it was just so bad. My friend who ordered meat was not too impressed either.

As time went on we were starting to feel that they wanted to get rid off us as they were closing, not that they said it but you could sense the vibe. Not a single time during the meal did they asked us how our meal was or if we were ok and when I complained at the end and said "thank you" which made me wonder if they at all registered what I said.

Nowadays, we use Royal china as a joke and always when we think about were to eat we say Royal china and then laugh, cause there is no way we would ever, ever eat there again.

Cic - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, July 29, 2012

I agree with other reviews. Service is a 0/10. It doesn't hurt to be a little more polite to your diners whose money is paying your wages. Food portions are small, much smaller than last year. We ordered a prawn dish. It turns out that we are entitled to one prawn per person. Very disappointing. I shall not be returning here again I'm sorry to say. shame when it used to be so good.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Excellent Chinese meal, if a little on the expensive side. The service was very good, and they even asked us if we wanted to take a breather between courses, so we did not feel rushed in any way, even though it was a busy Saturday night.

Good selection of dishes, and the food seemed to be freshly prepared.

I would definitely go again. We had read some very negative comments online, but visited the restaurant due to its location, close to Thames Clipper. The restaurant was packed, so it seems that the negative comments have not hampered it in any way.

Friday, July 06, 2012

Food is good but the service is absolutely awful. The staff could do with learning some basic manners. When you have such a choice of restaurants in Canary Wharf that offer equally good food and considerably better service I wouldn't recommend.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012