Royal China (Canary Wharf)

30 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf, London, E14 8RR - View on a map

Royal China (Canary Wharf) Restaurant In London

Eating at this place was the most extraordinary experience I had on my vacation in London. After my husband and I had ordered our two-course meals, I got my starter served while he carried on waiting. When we realized that his food was not to be served we reminded our waiter. The result: This waiter never approached our table again. Now a waitress asked us instead, obviously took a new order for the missing starter and we carried on waiting for my husbands first course while I finished mine. Nobody apologized for that.

The same game happened with the main course, just the other way round: My husband received his dish, I was served just the rice portion. While the rice was getting cold in my bowl and my husband finished his meal (which by the way was rather tough pork) I was left to just watch him eat. As I tried to catch the waitresses attention she kept avoiding our table just like her colleague did. I got my roasted duck in the end, it came with dry greens which I hadn't ordered, but not with vegetables or any sauce. The waitress - the 3rd who served us by now - put it on the table and immediately grabbed the plate and disappeared with it, leaving us in pure astonishment. Some time later I was brought the plate with the duck's meat ripped off the bone.

All in all I must say: The food was eatable but not great, the service was lousy, and instead of apologizing at least once the whole staff just vanished before your eyes in order to avoid hearing your complaints. Definite thumbs down for this place!

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Restaurant looked great from the outside. When got in I couldn't believe how we was treated. I was with another adult 1 child and 2 babies in push chairs. The staff couldn't believe that we dared to turn up with push chairs and made a massive fuss over having to move 2 chairs out the way so they could fit in. 1 waitress almost shouted at my friend as she went to sit down as they apparently weren't ready for us to sit down yet although the waiter who prepared our table ushered us to sit down. Bad start! Wasn't feeling the vibe and that was strike one for the staff. Didn't even want to stay after that but after all the fuss to get us in we thought we may as well order drinks at the least and then would leave but when the waitress came back and asked what food we were ordering and I said no food just drinks she snarled in my face and went to another member of staff talking in their private language and then laughed about us hiding around the corner. Was getting very nasty looks because we dared to bring in our own baby food for a 9months old and a 1 year old. When we asked for the bill they practically threw it down on our table. I was still polite on my way out and said thank you and got no reply. WORST EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFETIME!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Colleagues and I took to visit this restaurant after failing to get a desirable table at nearby Gaucho. We were rushed through our meal and subjected to the worst customer service I have ever known. Despite this we found the occasion amusing. The food though a little sloppy on presentation was satisfactory. the staff who served us should spend a week or so learning service skills from somewhere like Shanghai Blues in Holborn.

Brian Johnson
Sunday, July 20, 2014

Robotic staff who like to clear away your table as you're eating, took the money without a thank you after the ridiculous service charge! Manners go a long way, and the staff had none! Not a shred of good customer service between them. It looked great from the outside but the overall experience is was average at best, disappointing to say the least.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Hearing about queuing at the weekend for a table put me off eating here at first, but if you arrive early (they open at Noon), then youíll be seated quickly. The large outside terrace has gorgeous views across the River Thames, so it was the perfect restaurant with the fantastic weather we had last week!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My friend and I were looking forward to a nice meal after work and generally just to relax. I ordered an aubergine with shrimp which I didnít like. When I asked to change my meal, I was told I couldnít in a very rude way with no regard for me as a customer. At the end of the meal, we decided not to pay for the service charge as we were not impressed with how they had handled things, we only paid for the food.

The waitress that was serving us shouted at us saying that by us not paying the service charge, she would not get paid! This is ridiculous as the service charge is OPTIONAL! She made the payment and rudely handed me back my card. She went to her boss and we were asked never to go back there.

I would not recommend this place to anyone. They are rude and do not know the meaning of customer service.
View/Add comments (1)