Al Duca

4-5 Duke of York Street, St James, London, SW1Y 6LA - View on a map

Al Duca Restaurant In London

I came here for my birthday meal with friends on Saturday, and we all had a brilliant time.

The service was outstanding. The moment we walked in, we were treated like VIPs. We had a delicious assortment of breads and olives while we waited for all our friends to arrive. We all ordered different meals, and all loved them. You know you're in a great place when you love your meal but get food envy looking at everyone's dishes. I wanted it all! I had a lovely Mozarella and Tomato starter, and then the lamb which was cooked to perfection. We just had the house wine, which was delightful and served regularly with a smile. To top it off, they knew it was my birthday, so I was served a complimentary Tiramisu and everyone sung me happy birthday. This was also demolished, despite being very full by this point. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is in the area.

Jessica Pitkin
Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Four of us dined at Al Duca last Saturday, the food and service was outstanding. Three out of the four of us had the poached egg and smoked salmon for starters, followed by the beef which was cooked to perfection. If you have any room at all left the chocolate hazlenut cake is a must! Our waiter was efficient and knowledgeable with his wines helping us pick a suitable one with our meals. All in all a wonderful evening out.

Lucy - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Four of us went to Al Duca for lunch on Friday, as the restaurant had been highly recommended by a friend and it was in the right area.

Firstly, I would like to say that, from the moment we walked in, the staff were very attentive, professional and friendly. We placed our orders with our waiter (who refused to bring out all the food at once, even though some of the group were having starters as a maincourse), and then brought us over some lovely bread and focaccia (if a little on the greasy side).

My husband had a buffalo mozzarella, basil and "grilled" tomato salad. The mozzarella was delicious , but was unfortunately let down by the fact the tomatoes weren't grilled in the slightest and the fact it cost £16.50 for a starter portion! One of our friends had the wild boar ravioli (which we all tasted) and we all agreed it was bland and, frankly, almost not eatable. My other friend had a green leaf side salad which was perfectly nice but set her back £12. Ouch! I had the tagliolini with fresh crab, white wine and chilli.The pasta itself was very fresh and just what I was hoping for, but unfortunately the sauce was bland and lacked seasoning. To make matters worse, it contained a lot of crab shell pieces which made my meal gritty and very unenjoyable... I ended up having to send my meal back to which the waiter's response was "it's impossible to remove all the crab shell and is normal for it to be present in the sauce" I have had crab in many dishes before (and cook with it) and this is simply not true. Especially for a restaurant with that price tag! He then proceeded to take the plate to his colleague and whisper, point at me and snigger in an obvious mockery to my comments. I was sent a mediocre dessert as an apology which was a nice thought, but not something I wanted. All in all, this is an totally overpriced,overrated restaurant. The thought and effort is there, but they just haven't got it quite right. Don't bother. Honestly.

Gigi