Il Bordello

81 Wapping High Street, Wapping, London, E1W 2YG - View on a map

I visited on 05 /06 /2014 for first time but not the last i'm sure, my girlfriend and i were amazed with the level of service, quantity, and of quality of food not to mention prices were very reasonable. all in an amazing experience, will visit again.

m jones
Sunday, July 06, 2014

It was my first time here and i was nicely surprised by the huge portions and also decent price, but it was something strange here about the waiters. very nice persons indeed but only old people and no girls. i was maybe in one hundred restaurants and i never saw such a thing! i was in a tuesday and it was very busy.... i cannot imagine how it will be on saturday....

Anna J.
Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Quite simply the best Italian restaurant in London, Italy or the world. There is a reason its pretty much full every hour its open - because the service is awesome, the food is incredible, and eating here makes everyone smile. Cannot recommend it enough, except to say stay away so I can always get a table!

Laura Seal
Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I had been a regular at Il Bordello when I lived in Wapping for a number of years before moving to New York 3 years ago.

I have been to many world class Italian restaurants in Manhattan however returned tonight to Il Bordello whilst on a trip back to London and can confirm this is absolutely the best Italian food I have eaten. Simply stunning.

Eric K - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, December 26, 2012

absolutely great, just a perfect dinner in a great lively ambience.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm a Wapping resident and Il Bordello is often very busy and a number of my friends have been and commented positively on it; yet, after a couple of visits, the only reason I can attribute as to why is the British love for huge portions of food.

The sizes of the meals are gargantuan - for a bloke this is a positive no doubt. However, the food is distinctly average; even basics that you expect all decent restaurants to get right, such as garlic pizza (dry and with little flavour) and sides (broccoli overcooked and mushy), aren't up to scratch, yet the prices are those you would expect for a high-end establishment - £30 for a steak for instance is the sort of price you'd pay at a quality steakhouse such as Hawksmoor. Given the generous portions it's obvious they have sacrificed quantity over quality.

The atmosphere is also a little intimidating. The tables are so close together it feels like a school diner and the brick walls throughout create a cacophony of reverberated noise - not helped by the fact you can hear every word of the conversation happening between the couples sat at either side of you. The service is not bad, though nothing to write home about - I didn't tip on my final visit after pretty poor service involving the wrong starter being brought and having to chase for parmesan cheese. This does happen occasionally at most restaurants, however, I accept.

A few people have commented that this is one of the best Italians in London. They obviously haven't tried many Italians - try Zucca in Bermondsey for a quality Italian with similar (if not cheaper) prices. This is a place for when you're so hungry you aren't particularly concerned about price/quality.
View/Add comments (1)

AJ
Sunday, June 17, 2012

We were visiting London for a couple of days during a UK holiday from Australia. On our second night Il Bordello was recommended to us and we went there that night. We were so impressed with the extensive menu and incredibly delicious food, coupled with excellent, efficient and extremely friendly service it was an easy decision to return the next night.

Generous servings, reasonable prices and mouthwatering food make it easy to see why it is so popular with constantly full tables and more waiting at the bar.

I couldn't recommend this restaurant more and make sure you try the Tiramisu, you won't be sorry.

Laura Nelson
Thursday, April 12, 2012

We were living in Wapping around the time Il Bordello opened (late 90s); we loved it and went there often. Today I went there for a nostalgic lunch with my children and another family - and it was awful. Very, very mediocre food, utterly indifferent service and a bill of £131 for two mums and a total of four children. For the record we shared two garlic bread starters, each had a pizza, the children had soft drinks, my friend had a glass of house white, then the children had ice creams and we mums each had a cup of tea. The bland, rubbery little olives on the pizzas were clearly out of a tin/jar of brine, the mozzarella was totally tasteless, the pizza dough was tough and tasteless ... sorry, but even the cheapest chains can do better. The only good things we could say about the place as it now is were that the loos were clean and the portions generous. The atmosphere we used to enjoy? Gone. The queues? Gone. Hardly anyone in there on a Friday lunch time and it's very easy to see why.

Friday, February 17, 2012