Mon Plaisir

21 Monmouth Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9DD - View on a map

Mon Plaisir Restaurant In London

I have dined quite often at this restaurant and find it consistently superb.

My favourite dishes are the foie gras - I know I shouldnt but when it is made this well, one must indulge!

Beetroot and watermelon salad with goats cheese is a novel delight, light and refreshing, and the steak tartare is a must - I didnt like it until I tried it here.

Service is attentive, and the atmosphere is always bustling to just the right amount.

I am also a big fan of the busy, authentic french decor.

The pre-theatre and set course menus are fabulous value for money. All in all a great, family run, independent restaurant which I shall return to, time and time again.

Rachel Stewart
Tuesday, October 09, 2012

We had a pre-matinee booking on St Patrick's Day and only had 40 minutes to have lunch and get to the Donmar Theatre.

We ordered a 3 course set menu and told the staff of our dilemma. The first course was endive salad which could have been fresher and more interesting, had sat dressed for too long. The main courses were salmon and Navarin of lamb which were exquisite. My son who loves food and cooking thought it excellent and my lamb was tender, full of flavour and with a delicious sauce and couscous on the side, no other veg.

The apple tart came straight away with the coffees and was light, fresh, thin crispy base. The white wine carafe well chilled, tap water cold and coffee superb. the waiters (esses) were all very attentive and quick to respond. We left in 35 minutes with minutes to spare for the theatre and would return to spend more time over this fine cooking.

It's a lovely experience to be able to eat a splendid meal in an interesting well-aged restaurant with merit at top speed without stress.

Bravo Mon Plaisir!

cynour
Saturday, March 17, 2012

The food was good, the atmosphere informal and easy going. The great thing is this French restaurant actually feels and looks like something you would expect in Provincial France.

Mark Cognet
Monday, February 06, 2012

This place is awful. The prices and the management are truly the worst you could have. I was charged £28.95 for HALF a grouse. No restaurant in London serves half a grouse. It is an extraordinary rip-off. Then, the manageress complained about me to a thug who was loitering outside, who then berated me for complaining. He claimed they paid £14 wholesale for a grouse. Actual price, say £6 or £7. He was aggressive, rude and threatening. Avoid like the plague.
View/Add comments (1)

richard
Thursday, October 13, 2011

My friend and I visited Mon Plaisir on Thursday 18 August 2011 and chose the set lunch. We walked in off the street without booking at 12 noon and managed to get one of two tables that were not booked - lesson one, try and pre-book! My friend had salmon with hollandaise sauce served with spinach which she said was delicious. I chose navarin of lamb with spring vegetables. It was simple but stunning, I savoured every mouthful. We both had the same pudding which was fruit and almond tart. It was divine. Service was excellent, house wine was good quality and tap water served without hesitation. Lunch with a glass of wine each with service came to just over £30. Brilliant value, particularly for the heart of London, and for an hour or so imagined we could be in Paris.

Jeannie
Friday, August 19, 2011

It's a good location and the restaurant has a traditional non-chain feel which is all to the good, but we had a number of problems with service and found the food disappointing. One of the starters brought out was wrong - rabbit rather than haddock - and we really didn't want rabbit.

Drinks service was slow and when we asked to have wine with our main course we were practically told off for giving a reminder. The dishes were set down randomly and we seemed expected to swap them round ourselves. The chicken I had - poulet bourguignon was dry and tasteless with lots of broken bones making the experience rather tiresome. We asked for 4 coffees including a decaff and received 3. Eventually we got the fourth but despite being reassured it was decaff, it seems it really wasn't. With desserts at £7+ we shared 1 between 4. The bill was £45 a head for starter, main, & 2 bottles of house red (£19 each) between 4. Service was calculated at 12%. Not good.

Bronson Alcott - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 18, 2011

Went here on Saturday with a big family group. A good time was had by all and I hope the waiters don't hate me as I was rather drunk!

Had snails for starter which were lovely and garlicky...would hope a place like this would know how to do them right and they did. Followed that with entrecote steak which came withvery thin crispy chips. Steak was quite nice, but nothing special really. It was cooked as requested but every time I eat steak now all I can think of is how good it is at Hawksmoor. Many of my group had lamb which they enjoyed, and my cousin has scallops but I have to say they only gave her 3, maybe 4 on the plate with these weird raw tiny carrots...She liked them but not really enough for a main meal.

Warning about the stairs to the loos if you have had a few and are wearing heels..I managed to fall spectacularly which my cousin thought was hilarious but I now have a massive bruise on the side of my leg. Oh well...it didn't spoil my night!

Worth another visit maybe in a smaller group next time...

Kedi - View all reviews by this user