Sofra (Covent Garden)

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Very very disappointing. Still hungry. Zero customer service.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

When my party of four entered the restaurant, we were impressed by the starched linen and the old-style feel of the place, and our waiter (while very slow in getting to us for the drinks order) was friendly and helpful. He guided us through the menu options, and brought the wine promptly (an excellent house red). Our starters, all of them cold mezze, were attractive and tasty but the big disappointment came when our main courses arrived - very small, cold earthenware dishes barely covered by lukewarm food. All of us had the same issue, and the sense that the food had been pre-prepared and bunged in the microwave for a few minutes to order. We even wondered if there was a chef downstairs, or just someone pressing buttons. Maybe this would have been OK were we in a hurry to get to a show and they had left the food in the microwave a minute or so longer, but we wanted to sit and enjoy the food and each other's company. We decided not to bother sending our food back (I am squeamish about doing this), but we were all very disappointed. When the first bill came, they forgot to include the wine. When the amended bill came, they had charged us twice for bottled water. The waiter was pleasant and apologetic throughout, but we won't be returning.

Monday, April 28, 2014

My husband and I ate here on 21 Aug 2013. we wanted an early meal prior to going to the theatre and Sofra (Covent garden) was just round the corner. It was about 5.50pm and two gentlemen outside recommended ordering before 6pm to take advantage of the special menu. The service was outstanding. We were immediately shown to a table in the 'roof garden' - a bright room with interesting artwork and the waiters were so charming. Everything ran like clockwork, and the food was excellent. A delicious humous and bread starter, with plenty of olive oil and olives; two main courses (the lamb just fell off the bone, and the lentils were cooked to perfection; two glasses of wine; a wonderful baklava and a fresh mint tea to finish - and all for £36. What great value. Top marks all round.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

There are so many things wrong with this restaurant, I don't know where to begin and I don't want to make this a long review. I'll just mention a couple of things briefly. The managers are such money grabbers, it's really sad and that probably bothers me most about the place. The atmosphere is terrible and the people working there are very incompetent. It will take ages for food to arrive. The food is okay but definitely far far from the better Turkish restaurants in London. My advice is to just stay away from there.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013