Misato

11 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PG - View on a map

Went here for the first time as read good reviews online, and was one of the only places open lunchtime bank holiday!

Regularly eat Japanese (weekly) for a few years now so have come to know the good and the bad places in London.

The pros - We did have to queue for about 15 minutes, but this was no bother - the waitress took your order whilst in the queues, so the meals came very quickly as we sat down.

Service identical to almost all other japanese eateries e.g. they serve you quickly, leave you alone, and give you the bill which is absolutely fine for me! The place was very busy and the staff were stretched so good service considering the pressure on them.

The alcohol was good and cheap. The food was also very cheap and below normal price for the Leicester Square area (and to be honest most japanese eateries!). Most were around £5-8 mark and the portions were absolutely huge for what you got. The tempura was good (not great), tofu was nicely cooked and soba noodles and broth were also very good (good, not great).

The cons - The food. The chicken katsu curry was very poor (awful meat and sauce). The salads all came with a mayo dressing which drenched the salad (not needed and not optional on the side!). The meat is cheap. I'd avoid any meat based dishes here at all costs and stick with the vegetarian options. If you're looking for a good katsu curry, I'd reccomend any other japanese eatery in the area. They might be more expensive (around £1 more) but the quality will be 100% better.

If you're looking for a quick and cheap eat whilst out and about, I can see why this place is popular. I wouldn't recommend it though, since round the area there's much better places for only £1-2 more and much better quality.

Cost and service fine, but I'd only go back if I was at an absolute loss, and then only eat the vegetarian options.

Ann
Monday, April 21, 2014

Pig Pig's Corner

Pig Pig's Corner

Friday, March 26, 2010 - Misato is a Japanese restaurant in Chinatown specializing in serving no frills simple to prepare food in large quantities for minimal prices...One of our favourite udons in town has to be Misato's gyu udon (beef udon). The noodle itself is slightly soft but still have a nice chewy texture and wonderful to slurp up. The beef seemed a little different from the past, but is still served in large amounts and tasty. Meanwhile I had a tori kara age (deep fried chicken nuggets) with rice. The chicken nuggets were a bit tougher compared to before but seasoned well. I also ordered some curry sauce to go with the rice.