11 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PG - View on a map

Went here for the first time as read good reviews online, and was one of the only places open lunchtime bank holiday!

Regularly eat Japanese (weekly) for a few years now so have come to know the good and the bad places in London.

The pros - We did have to queue for about 15 minutes, but this was no bother - the waitress took your order whilst in the queues, so the meals came very quickly as we sat down.

Service identical to almost all other japanese eateries e.g. they serve you quickly, leave you alone, and give you the bill which is absolutely fine for me! The place was very busy and the staff were stretched so good service considering the pressure on them.

The alcohol was good and cheap. The food was also very cheap and below normal price for the Leicester Square area (and to be honest most japanese eateries!). Most were around £5-8 mark and the portions were absolutely huge for what you got. The tempura was good (not great), tofu was nicely cooked and soba noodles and broth were also very good (good, not great).

The cons - The food. The chicken katsu curry was very poor (awful meat and sauce). The salads all came with a mayo dressing which drenched the salad (not needed and not optional on the side!). The meat is cheap. I'd avoid any meat based dishes here at all costs and stick with the vegetarian options. If you're looking for a good katsu curry, I'd reccomend any other japanese eatery in the area. They might be more expensive (around £1 more) but the quality will be 100% better.

If you're looking for a quick and cheap eat whilst out and about, I can see why this place is popular. I wouldn't recommend it though, since round the area there's much better places for only £1-2 more and much better quality.

Cost and service fine, but I'd only go back if I was at an absolute loss, and then only eat the vegetarian options.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Still excellent - the sushi, while not the main stay of their food is fresh and well prepared. the Ten Zaru Udon is my personal favorite and excellent. The queues can be a pain in the bum, but are a testament to how good and authentic the food is (look at the people waiting, 90% Japanese people at any one time).

This isn't haute cuisine, it's good, well priced massive portions of Japanse food.

(PS If you don't want to wait, go early, or order takeaway!)

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

I've been to Misato on two separate occasions after being recommended by a relative. I won't be going back.

It does what it says on the tin. The service is fast and the food is relatively cheap, but the shop is very money minded and even though I hadn't exactly finished my meal, the bill was handed to us without us even asking for it so I felt like I was being hurried out and I find this extremely rude in any service environment. Granted, I know that around dinnertime, they do get a bit of a queue of people out the door, which - for the size of the restaurant - I would not be prepared to wait in to be honest.

On the second occasion that I went, the waitress was extremely rude to us. It wasn't even the busy period, but she came to our table - saw we weren't ready to order - and rather coldly turned to attend to the table next to us. There were no knapkins or chopsticks at our table and my friend didn't even have a menu. So he requested one and she rather callously yelled at him. This put me in a bad mood because manners cost nothing - especially in the service industry. I was a bit more satisfied when a new waitress came to tend to us - I suspected the other one was coming to the end of her shift because we never saw her again anyway. This stuck with me for the remainder of our time there however. They do some good soba noodles though, but that's about it.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I've got to say Wendy below probably don't like authentic Japanese much overall to be honest. The beef gyudon is meant to be like that- maybe it's an oriental thing, but fat is good. It's not a steak we're looking for here.

I've been coming here for years now, and though I must admit I absolutely HATE the fact: you have to queue, the staff aren't very nice, and the seats are pretty awfully cramped up, I can't stop coming back for their delicious food at a bargain of a price!

You shouldn't be coming here for their sushi or sashimi, if you came before you would know to get their rice or noodles dishes, which is where all the value comes in. They have very generous portions for between £6-£8, you'd leave with a overfilled belly at less than £15 per person. The price on here is totally wrong- You'd have to eat your heart out or order lots of sushi/sashimi (which you shouldn't here) to spend £25 here!

I definitely recommend their ginger pork, you don't find this dish at many other Japanese restaurants around London, and it's delicious!

Lillian - View all reviews by this user