Misato

11 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PG - View on a map

Went here for the first time as read good reviews online, and was one of the only places open lunchtime bank holiday!

Regularly eat Japanese (weekly) for a few years now so have come to know the good and the bad places in London.

The pros - We did have to queue for about 15 minutes, but this was no bother - the waitress took your order whilst in the queues, so the meals came very quickly as we sat down.

Service identical to almost all other japanese eateries e.g. they serve you quickly, leave you alone, and give you the bill which is absolutely fine for me! The place was very busy and the staff were stretched so good service considering the pressure on them.

The alcohol was good and cheap. The food was also very cheap and below normal price for the Leicester Square area (and to be honest most japanese eateries!). Most were around £5-8 mark and the portions were absolutely huge for what you got. The tempura was good (not great), tofu was nicely cooked and soba noodles and broth were also very good (good, not great).

The cons - The food. The chicken katsu curry was very poor (awful meat and sauce). The salads all came with a mayo dressing which drenched the salad (not needed and not optional on the side!). The meat is cheap. I'd avoid any meat based dishes here at all costs and stick with the vegetarian options. If you're looking for a good katsu curry, I'd reccomend any other japanese eatery in the area. They might be more expensive (around £1 more) but the quality will be 100% better.

If you're looking for a quick and cheap eat whilst out and about, I can see why this place is popular. I wouldn't recommend it though, since round the area there's much better places for only £1-2 more and much better quality.

Cost and service fine, but I'd only go back if I was at an absolute loss, and then only eat the vegetarian options.

Ann
Monday, April 21, 2014

Still excellent - the sushi, while not the main stay of their food is fresh and well prepared. the Ten Zaru Udon is my personal favorite and excellent. The queues can be a pain in the bum, but are a testament to how good and authentic the food is (look at the people waiting, 90% Japanese people at any one time).

This isn't haute cuisine, it's good, well priced massive portions of Japanse food.

(PS If you don't want to wait, go early, or order takeaway!)

Oli
Wednesday, July 03, 2013

I've been to Misato on two separate occasions after being recommended by a relative. I won't be going back.

It does what it says on the tin. The service is fast and the food is relatively cheap, but the shop is very money minded and even though I hadn't exactly finished my meal, the bill was handed to us without us even asking for it so I felt like I was being hurried out and I find this extremely rude in any service environment. Granted, I know that around dinnertime, they do get a bit of a queue of people out the door, which - for the size of the restaurant - I would not be prepared to wait in to be honest.

On the second occasion that I went, the waitress was extremely rude to us. It wasn't even the busy period, but she came to our table - saw we weren't ready to order - and rather coldly turned to attend to the table next to us. There were no knapkins or chopsticks at our table and my friend didn't even have a menu. So he requested one and she rather callously yelled at him. This put me in a bad mood because manners cost nothing - especially in the service industry. I was a bit more satisfied when a new waitress came to tend to us - I suspected the other one was coming to the end of her shift because we never saw her again anyway. This stuck with me for the remainder of our time there however. They do some good soba noodles though, but that's about it.

Melissa
Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I've got to say Wendy below probably don't like authentic Japanese much overall to be honest. The beef gyudon is meant to be like that- maybe it's an oriental thing, but fat is good. It's not a steak we're looking for here.

I've been coming here for years now, and though I must admit I absolutely HATE the fact: you have to queue, the staff aren't very nice, and the seats are pretty awfully cramped up, I can't stop coming back for their delicious food at a bargain of a price!

You shouldn't be coming here for their sushi or sashimi, if you came before you would know to get their rice or noodles dishes, which is where all the value comes in. They have very generous portions for between £6-£8, you'd leave with a overfilled belly at less than £15 per person. The price on here is totally wrong- You'd have to eat your heart out or order lots of sushi/sashimi (which you shouldn't here) to spend £25 here!

I definitely recommend their ginger pork, you don't find this dish at many other Japanese restaurants around London, and it's delicious!

Lillian - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, March 02, 2013

Order Sashimi Bento or Sushi Bento and you won't be disappointed. Under £10 for either is amazing considering the size and quality. Should you queue like every one else? Yes because good things happen to those who wait and all those in the queue, every day 7/7, know the place well and they come again to queue for a good reason.

Alban
Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Wendy below was rather unlucky and really fussy! Me and my fiancÚ have been going there on a weekly basis for months now, and we absolutely love it. Having tried quite a few positions from their menu, I can shed some light on what Misato offer.

Their chicken katsu curry is absolutely fantastic. Their maki and all other raw fish are always fresh and very tasty. Their chicken teryaki (both the katsu and burger) are delicious. Their miso soup is the best I've ever had!

I agree that their tempura could be more flavoursome, but it's by no means unpleasant! Similarly with the noodles - I like their udon, but it's a little tasteless for my liking, and the other noodles are okayish. The beef is admittedly not the best, and it's something I wouldn't touch again, but that's about the only thing I disliked.

The portions are absolutely massive and you can be guaranteed to leave full. We usually have a feast when we're there, and - after getting absolutely stuffed - we have trouble exceeding £30!

If you're thinking of having dinner there, be prepared to queue for good 10-15 minutes (party of 2; if you're there with a larger group you might be waiting a little longer), as the restaurant is very busy. I also don't recommend their ice tea, as it's barley tea - unpleasant surprise for those not prepared!

All in all, I couldn't praise Misato enough. If you're looking for a cheap place with yummy food that will consistently deliver, Misato is definitely a place to try :)

Karo
Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The food was really good, with abundant sizes. Even though the restaurant was really busy (we had to wait a few minutes in the queue), they agreed to take consecutive orders.

Monday, July 09, 2012

I don't understand why Misato has got continuously decent reviews here. I went last night with a friend and we had three meals between us - three because one was so disgusting it got sent back. I've never sent a meal back in my life - but quality of the beef was beyond the pale... I thought the soup was laced with strips of batter, but it was stringy bits of fat that strung tiny bits of meat together. It was literally impossible to eat. And it smelt horrible.

My second meal (teriyaki chicken) and my mate's meal (prawn tempura) were pretty unpleasant, too.

The only good thing about this restaurant is that they took my beef soup back without quibble.

Never ever ever again!

Wendy
Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Someone recommended this restaurant to me, using the phrases "cheap sushi", "big portions" and "fast service" - how could I pass up the opportunity to give it a go!

Went at about 7.30-8.00 on a Thurs eve and, by the looks of it, timed it just right - the queue started to stack up about five mins later. I'm not a huge fan of queuing for restaurants, but I would suggest that this place is well worth a short wait. In any event, the staff are supper organised - just because the restaurant is packed and there's a smaller group behind you, don't think that they will necessarily get to swan past you and be seated first!

I ordered sashimi bento and calpico. Others at my table had variously the beef udon, beers and Japanese tea. All the food (and drink) was fantastic value!! Excellent service!! Huge portions!! 3 sashimi bento, beef udon, 2 beers, an extra mixed sashimi, one calpico, Japanese tea.....just under £50.

I like (where possible) to have a bit of a moan, but I really can't fault this place. Go there. It there's a queue, wait. It's worth it.

The Foodie One
Friday, January 27, 2012

Pig Pig's Corner

Pig Pig's Corner

Friday, March 26, 2010 - Misato is a Japanese restaurant in Chinatown specializing in serving no frills simple to prepare food in large quantities for minimal prices...One of our favourite udons in town has to be Misato's gyu udon (beef udon). The noodle itself is slightly soft but still have a nice chewy texture and wonderful to slurp up. The beef seemed a little different from the past, but is still served in large amounts and tasty. Meanwhile I had a tori kara age (deep fried chicken nuggets) with rice. The chicken nuggets were a bit tougher compared to before but seasoned well. I also ordered some curry sauce to go with the rice.