El Pirata

5-6 Down Street, Mayfair, London, W1 7AQ - View on a map

A shortish review as we only popped in here for a glass of wine and a plate of ham but it is worth noting. Strike day and after a reasonably straightforward journey to work in a cab I had arranged to meet my lovely wife post work for a spot of dinner before heading home after strike-pocalypse has died down. We headed off to old favourite Burger & Lobster on Clarges St. Being early and an unusual day it was quiet-ish in there so we got a table straight away and our steamed lobster came out really quickly. Nice as it was, it meant we were all done in 40 minutes which isn't quite the idea for a date night. So our table turned as we left we wandered down to Downs St and popped into El Piratas De Tapas.

We were big fans of their late lamented Westbourne Grove outpost. We had enjoyed some fun evenings there and they were always really nice when we popped in there for lunch with baby G. This branch is much more traditional in look and feel. Lots of dark wood and whitewashed walls. The upstairs bar is full so we are led downstairs with starts of quiet but soon fills up. Clientele is a mix of tourists from the local high end hotels, businessmen having a catch up and the odd smattering of doting couples. As I said we had eaten so just ordered a plate of ham, some anchovies and some ham croquettes. It is all pretty good, possibly not quite the standard of Westbourne Grove but a very relaxing and pleasant snack.

We sip our glasses of Rioja and even follow that up with a coffee and Spanish brandy (which I prefer to a lot of French examples). Our bill is perfectly reasonable though there is a tiny hiccup with our bill which is soon rectified and we spend a very pleasant hour in this airy atmospheric basement. We could almost be abroad. I like this dining, you don't have to order much and you are made to feel very welcome. This place is now firmly on my radar as a place to go in a part of Mayfair that is bereft of good informal places to eat and drink.

david ginsberg - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 12, 2015

It is OK but not really my sort of place. I am not sure why not!

However, the restaurant and bar were packed and full of hustle and bustle, so it is not for me to complain. The food was also good, but I wouldn't go there again if I was going to pay.

James - View all reviews by this user