Kettner's

29 Romilly Street, Soho, London, W1D 5HP - View on a map

Kettner's Restaurant In London

A second really awful experience in the last couple of months. Have been coming here for years, but it seems to be going downhill fast. It did seem busy though, hopefully other people are having a better experience.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Kettners is one of the most overrated restaurants in London. The service is bad but the food is truly awful. I sincerely don't understand why this restaurant is still trading. The location is nice but also so loud you cannot hold any conversation. Truly awful restaurant. Will not go back and avoid at all costs.

Katy
Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Met with a friend who I hadn't seen in ages and the meal was super at Kettners in Soho. However, it was quite packed, and since we were only two people, we were sitting quite close to the two tables that we were between. Other than that issue, the food was great as was the cocktails!

Sarah - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I had a lunch today with a group of friends and we have sampled the Best of British menu. I walked out disappointed - it took very long to be served, selection was limited and when the food finally arrived my fish was not hot - just warm. Although the staff apologized for the delay and they were very friendly I did not feel that the meal was anything special and good value for money.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Had lunch with a friend on Wednesday lunchtime; table booked for 1.00pm. We both had very happy memories of the restaurant in its pre-facelift era (pink bankette seating) with its great choice of excellent steaks and pizzas. Should have smelt a rat on entry because it was only half full as opposed to the very buzzy atmosphere of previous occasions. We both ordered soup of the day, ok, but a request to a waitress for accompanying bread was then ignored - had to get the manageress to bring some! My friend`s steak sandwich was cold and my battered fish had plenty of batter but very little fish. These meals would have been half the price in any decent gastropub and a lot better. The only redeeming feature were the two very pleasant and attentive waiters. Thought the new grey on grey decor was very cold and austere and had lost the charm and individual ambience of the previous `pink` scheme. I am afraid that as a result of our meal, I am reluctantly crossing off Kettners as one of my favourite places to eat..

Paul Moss - View all reviews by this user
Friday, April 20, 2012

I love this place and it definitley deserves a better rating. I popped in last night on an impulse and love the old style french brasserie feel to it , and it always feels really buzzy being right in the heart of soho. Pre dinner drinks are a must.
View/Add comments (1)

veggieburgers - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, December 06, 2011

DELICIOUS food!! No doubt about that! (Although the bread was a bit skimpy compared to The Ivy). And the wine we had was lovely too - altogether about £40 each was spent (2 of us).

My MAIN criticism was that it was all a bit hurried. We didn't feel we could relax because we were always being pursued by the next question from the waiter. Furthermore, my partner's plate was taken away before she had been asked if she was finished - and I was still eating!!

A minor criticism was that the place was a bit loud. Quietness wasn't encouraged so we had to shout to be heard. The pianist did an excellent job of trying to keep the atmosphere calm but the waiters seemed "panicky" and there was a lot of pushing & shoving. Too many chairs & tables? Too many people?

Overall - 9 out of 10 for food. 6 out of 10 for service. 5 out of 10 for atmosphere.

Overall: Very good but The Ivy is better - and so worth paying that bit extra.

Graham Scott
Thursday, October 27, 2011

I took my Mum here for a pre theatre meal and must say this restaurant ticked all the boxes. Restaurant is bright and stylish. Food was good. Service was quick and yes I would go again.
View/Add comments (1)

Linz - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

i tried kettners again last night ( monday ) .....having read the recent rave reviews ( 3 in a row ? ), they must have gone to a different restaurant , the food had got worse the prices had gone up and the rest of the customers ( 4 tables) looked as they had all made a dreadful mistake and couldn t wait to leave ......bring back the belle epoque empire look that they trashed a few years ago ....and the reasonable but not amazing food they used to serve ....i am never going back despite what these strangely enthusiastic reviews may say ......am i being suspicious of overly enthusiastic gushing reviews for some restaurants .... i will be more careful in future
View/Add comments (2)

james hanratty
Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Don't normally write these but felt compelled after reading some of the other comments. All I can say is, if there was a problem before, they've got it sorted now. Went with some friends on Saturday and had a brilliant night! We were early so had a cocktail first (Berry Caipiroska, lovely) after which we were escorted to our table in the packed restaurant.

Despite the number of people eating (or maybe because of it?) the staff seemed to be enjoying themselves, which I think is always brilliant for the atmosphere and our waitress was friendly and efficient, without making us feel rushed. I started off with the mussels and then had the steak which was just perfect with a beautiful béarnaise sauce. The waitress recommended the pavlova, which was strawberry that day and which all but one of us ordered and it was gorgeous, I will go back just for that! I wouldn't call it cheap, but it was certainly good value for money, as a fab night was had by all. Kettner's is one of those places I'd been aware of for years but never had actually gone into and it's instantly become one of my favourite places in Soho and I'd go back anytime!

Aries77
Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Girl Has To Eat

A Girl Has To Eat - 5/10

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - A main of roast venison was tender and succulent. It was accompanied by a port and quince sauce that had a delicate sweetness. However the consistency of the sauce was too runny and further reduction would have served to intensify its flavour. A roast cod was delightfully moist and flaky. However, the accompanying grain mustard sauce let the dish down as the strong use of mustard overpowered the delicacy of the cod. A side of potato and apple gratin was decent, although you couldn't detect the taste of apple in it.