The Lotus Chinese Floating Restaurant

38 Limeharbour, Inner Millwall Dock, Isle of Dogs, London, E14 9RH - View on a map

The Lotus Chinese Floating Restaurant Restaurant In London

Ordered steamed / fried dumplings also from menu, food was awful, not much steamed dumplings choice, they kept delivering foods we didnt order, when we told them, they just left it on the table, so we didnt touch it, when the bill came it was not fully itemised, and we refused to pay service, but they kept insisting we pay for food we didnt order, on top of that, they were extremely rude, the whole experience was stressful, obviously, we will never return again.

lina
Sunday, April 14, 2013

Location of the restaurant is excellent however the intetrior design kills it! When I was there for dinner on Sunday, there was a 'disco' type of party taking place on the second floor and it was very very loud and unpleasant music... The food was barely average. The worst thing is that the main course was served very late. On top of that the waiters were rude. It was a very frustrating experience. I will not go there again!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm based in Paris and a frequent visitor to the Belleville and 13th arrondissement asian districts, so it's fair to say I've tasted some of the very best chinese and vietnamese dishes that are on offer that side of the channel. This weekend I had the opportunity of meeting up with sculptor James Matthews and two other cousins in London. We'd decided it would be a nice idea to share a lavish chinese meal to celebrate the upcoming unveiling of James' portrait of Nicholas Parsons.

We'd initially planned to do this in Chinatown, but having read a number of the reviews of restaurants available on london-eating, some of which described "dark chapters" of people's lives taking place there, we thought it perhaps best to avoid what overwhelmingly appears to be a full-on tourist trap...

As we carried on with our internet research, we somehow came across the Floating Lotus. The mainly positive comments and idea of eating on a chinese boat on the Isle of Dogs seemed to fit in perfectly with our plans.

24 hours later, I can safely say that this was probably one of the best culinary moves we've ever made in London.

The place itself is an absolute wonder - superbly corny, but what else can you hope for from a floating pagoda in Docklands?

The service, with Mandy and Mei was nothing less than sublime.

The food was truly delicious (I would especially recommend the soft shell crab, the jelly fish with chicken, and the suckling pig) and although their wines were perhaps only average, they certainly aren't over-priced. Some of the main courses were perhaps a touch too common, but none seemed overly MSG-ed nor too greasy. In a nutshell: wholesome, genuine chinese in a corker of a location, at a pretty reasonable price.

Perhaps somewhat anecdotal, is the fact that the toilets are located down in the hull of the boat, so you really get an impression of setting sail for the East - or wherever else you're inclined to voyage after a couple of glasses of riesling.

To sum it up: a delicious hoot.

Jacob Matthews
Sunday, April 15, 2012

Londonelicious

Londonelicious

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - As always with dim sum, I have no idea what I'm eating. But it's all pretty fantastic...The Service: Severe. They really did not want us to order in small batches. Everything had to be ordered at once. The Atmosphere: Kinda nice sitting there, looking out onto the water. The Verdict: I liked it here. Thought all my food was pretty good.