The French Table

85 Maple Road, Surbiton, London, KT6 4AW - View on a map

The French Table Restaurant In London

Matthew Norman

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - By the time my wife was stuck into her starter, a ham hock terrine with lentils and lightly toasted walnut bread, she was beaming. 'Glorious, smoky flavour,' she said, 'and the chutney really brings out the taste.' My butternut squash soup would have been very good, with its perfect texture and the rich tang of melty cheese, but for the addition of chestnut gnocchi that made it outstanding. Frankly, I'd had grave concerns about her main course, assuming that at the first mouthful of galette of quinoa with winter veg and hollandaise, she'd sequester my confit of duck. "I have never eaten anything without meat or fish that's so satisfyingly delicious," was the shock reaction.

No readers reviews yet.
Why not be the first and enter our competition to win a bottle of champagne.
Click here to write your review.

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - I opted for the special of the day for my main, beef with chanterelles served with a deeply flavoured red wine jus and mash, comfort food to the max. I mopped up every dreg of sauce. Mains of rack of lamb and hake were more classic, although the venison was probably the most adventurous, paired with a parsnip canneloni and wrapped in bayonne ham...The French Table does an excellent job uniting the flavours of Europe on the edge of London using French techniques, and although seemingly confused, they somehow pull it off. It's definitely not cheap, but affordable enough and based in the heart of the commuter belt, I guess that's no surprise.