The French Table

85 Maple Road, Surbiton, London, KT6 4AW - View on a map

The French Table Restaurant In London

Guardian

Matthew Norman

Saturday, January 02, 2010 - By the time my wife was stuck into her starter, a ham hock terrine with lentils and lightly toasted walnut bread, she was beaming. 'Glorious, smoky flavour,' she said, 'and the chutney really brings out the taste.' My butternut squash soup would have been very good, with its perfect texture and the rich tang of melty cheese, but for the addition of chestnut gnocchi that made it outstanding. Frankly, I'd had grave concerns about her main course, assuming that at the first mouthful of galette of quinoa with winter veg and hollandaise, she'd sequester my confit of duck. "I have never eaten anything without meat or fish that's so satisfyingly delicious," was the shock reaction.

A visit to "The French Table" was highly exciting from the hype it got when it was featured on "The F Word" with high appraisal from the legend GORDON RAMSAY himself. My girlfriend was dying to try and so we did and went there for lunch.

Upon arrival it was amazing. Presentation was stunning and very modern and the service was very polite but did take some time to come and ask us for drinks. The daily baked bread basket was amazing and fresh and very nice but shame we didn't have a plate for it so crumbs found their way on our table as we ate.

We ordered "Terrine of duck, ham hock and foie gras rolled in nuts with armagnac prunes and toasted home-made bread" and (unable to find on their current menu, i'll try and recite from memory) "crispy egg with smoked haddock in a buttery sauce. My smoked haddock dish was lovely but had 4 fishbones hidden within. Now from the presentation of my dish, the smoked haddock was flaked and arranged in a circular cutter so i would have hoped the fishbones was picked out. As for the terrine of duck, another bone was found and the home made bread was a home made brick. My gf was definitely upset about it since she had so much expectations.

Main dish was "Pan-fried wild black seabream, (5 spiced) Sweet potato puree, spring roll of vegetables and ginger" and again from memory "Longhorn Beef medallions with.." i have no idea what the rest cos i didn't taste my gf's dish, but from what she said, the dish had 2 medallions. One was cooked perfectly, another overcooked to the point the beef was chewy and tough. As for my seabream dish. It was nice but perhaps too much 5 spice in the puree cos after a mouth of the puree, it was close to overwhelming where i cannot taste nothing but the spice. Or i could be wrong about the 5 spice but definitely overwhelming.

Overal experience isn't as highly as we had anticipated. The lunch was pleasent and enjoyable. Another small matter i've noticed is a waiter who attempted to clean breadcrumbs off a table with a knife is puzzling to me. I would have expected the waiter to replace the tablecloth a fresh one. In the end, this was only a one off experience, and the evening a la carte menu looks very appetising. I am willing to give it another try sometime in the near future and i hope they will deliver and so that i can give them a near perfect score.

Kira
Thursday, July 19, 2012

Overall a rather disappointing meal. For the prices one would expect a far higher standard. They seem to be attempting to create a fine dining experience which just doesn't work. The standard of cooking and the quality of certain ingredients used is simply not reflective of the price and the bravado with which you promote your restaurant as a classy french eaterie. Having recently dined at La Gavroche and Koffmans at the Berkeley I can assure you it is a million miles away from that standard. However the positives were: veal - very tender and well cooked, Quail starter - very nice and the best starter among our group of 7, the mini birthday dessert plate presented to my mother was a great touch. Now the negatives: Pork belly was a disaster, clearly trying to be clever but 2 of the 3 were poorly thought out and did not taste good at all and we struggled to see where the pork belly was in all that mess. The smoked lamb was very disappointing (cutlets were ok but its hard to mess that up). The crab starter was awful - like eating cardboard or so the 3 who ate it declared. To top the lot, the Pavlova, NOW this may have been a kitchen error but there was just a sloppy bit of meringue and some bits of fruit thrown on the plate. 3 people ate this and all said this is not a Pavlova! The other dishes were average. We were all so disappointed that we didnt even want to complain there and then. We just wanted to leave. Unfortunately we will not be returning and will not recommend this restaurant. p.s. please take note 'The French Table'. For a £300 meal its simply not good enough.

Ramtin and Sawyer family
Saturday, July 30, 2011

Two of us had lunch here today. The food was perfectly cooked and looked very good on the dishes when they came up to the table. The variety on the menu was excellent - plenty to choose from.

My husband thought the wine list a little scant, but chose a different wine by the glass for each course, all of which he enjoyed.

The only bugbear I had was that my water glass was not replenished as often as I would have hoped.

All in all a very enjoyable lunch. Will visit again.

Eileen Spalding
Sunday, June 05, 2011

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - I opted for the special of the day for my main, beef with chanterelles served with a deeply flavoured red wine jus and mash, comfort food to the max. I mopped up every dreg of sauce. Mains of rack of lamb and hake were more classic, although the venison was probably the most adventurous, paired with a parsnip canneloni and wrapped in bayonne ham...The French Table does an excellent job uniting the flavours of Europe on the edge of London using French techniques, and although seemingly confused, they somehow pull it off. It's definitely not cheap, but affordable enough and based in the heart of the commuter belt, I guess that's no surprise.