Oslo Court

Prince Albert Road, St John's Wood, London, NW8 7EN - View on a map

Telegraph

Matthew Norman

Thursday, December 20, 2012 - It is the same paean to peach it ever was, the staff remain breathtakingly attentive to a largely venerable clientele, and the menu reads like a memento buried in a time capsule...The veal Holstein, an escalope garnished with capers, anchovies and a fried egg, was, enthused my father, exactly as he remembered it. Steak Diane (filet mignon flambéed in its own juices and Worcestershire sauce) was 'good, tender meat beautifully cooked'.

Love it! Realy upset that I did not book in time for my birthday lunch. Have only been at Saturday lunch time, so can't comment on evenings. Was last there in March in 2013. Love the spicy fish soup and Neil the dessert waiter and his gorgeous desserts.

Its well priced as you know what you get i.e the crudites, starter, main course, dessert, garlic rolls, tea, coffee or lemon tea with mints and petit fours are included. Plus the birthday or other celebration cake-which is yum.

Ros - View all reviews by this user
Friday, October 04, 2013

Firstly I am not a first time hater. I have been coming to oslo court for 10 years. Over that time I have seen it very slowly decline. I held this place in high enough esteem to have my 40th birthday here. This was a Thursday night maybe that made a difference. I'd never been in the week before. We were called on the day of the booking to be told not to rush and to come as late as possible. We did. We came 20 minutes after our booking time and still had to wait at the bar for another 30 mins before our table was ready. I soon spotted why. There was some very wide russian men who seemed to not want to give the table up. The barman was remonstrating with them in russian and eventually calmed them down. So not the best start. The food wasn't as good as usual and the staff not as friendly or polite. The usual French/Spanish and Catalan waiters and waitresses seem to have been replaced by an increasing amount of eastern europeans who rarely smile. Atmosphere is more sterile and less fun. What the place really misses is Tony Sanchez's daughter/s who were always on top of things and always made it an amazing experience. Lobster wasn't good or was there very much. I managed to blag an off menu beef wellington that was fantastic. But standards are slipping. I never thought I'd say this but I won't be rushing back. If you are a long term customer like I am and are thinking of paying a visit for the first time in a while. Expect a difference.

nathan - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, June 20, 2013

went there for the first and last time. Live in London for 24 years almost, never heard of it before.

strange succession of 10 star reviews here, i think somebody from Oslo Court is working overtime at his PC.

This is a REAL review: Food - below average, some things are okay, others are terrible

Service - was good

Atmosphere - ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

Value for money - you can get 100 times better for the same price at 100 other restaurants all across London

Verdict - once is enough.

Jonathan
Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I had to write a review after reading the offensive comment a previous diner had written, saying how awful the Oslo Court is (and if they feel that way glad never going again) this is one of the best restaurants food wise in London and the staff the most kind and attentive, especially the cute and cheeky dessert waiter who everyone loves.

The decor is lost in the 70's but that is one of the reasons we love it and would not want it to change. It is acutally situated on the ground floor of an apartment block near Regents Park and short walk from St Johns Wood High Street.

I go for family occasions and off today for brothers birthday when they will "surprise and embarrass him with a cake and rendition from all the staff and guests of HAPPY BIRTHDAY song.

Friday, May 10, 2013

First visit - very impressed. Attended a 40th wedding anniversary party and the whoie evening was great. From the moment we arrived, we were looked after, the food was excellent and the service out of this world. Would thoroughly recomend this restaurant to anyone and everyone. You must go and try it.

10 out of 10.

Michael Bon
Sunday, April 07, 2013

horrible decor - reminiscent of an old people's home for grannies only.

inedible food - 70's cooking, the bad kind.

ridiculous atmosphere - 80's retired cruise ship feeling.

mediocre service - not good, not bad, just average.

offensive bill - considering what we were served 5 quid a head would have been too much.

Oliver
Sunday, March 10, 2013

We have been visiting this restaurant for 15 years and having eaten all over the world - yes literally - we rate this 10 out of 10 every time. It may be a bit twee, but that is part of the appeal. They certainly know how to cook a steak and the sea food is second to none. The service is exemplary and the atmosphere sensational. How anyone can find fault with this restaurant is beyond me.

Tim Church
Thursday, February 21, 2013

I've read and heard so much about Oslo Court. "It's the best restaurant in the country", "probably the best in the world". "London's best kept secret". I had to go.

Suffice to say the decor was as described elsewhere. The food was not.

On arrival we were presented with a plate of 'crudities' - chunks of cucumber, carrots and cauliflower, alongside Melba toast and fresh out of the fridge firm butter. We were offered garlic bread - think along the lines of supermarket soft rolls with garlic filling.

Shortly afterwards our au d'oeuvres arrived. Onion soup was inoffensive albeit lacking any intensity, a lobster cocktail came with an optional 'Marie Rose sauce'; that's Thousand Island dressing to you.

Mains - Dover Sole, cooked flawlessly, Beef Wellington which tasted as good as I remember, saute potatoes, slightly soggy, as though they'd been standing for a while, perfectly creamy mashed potatoes, and over-cooked beans and carrots. The desserts come off a trolley served by the enthusiastic Neil who promised the best profiteroles I'd ever tasted (they were) 'gorgeous lemon meringue pie' (it was - light, fluffy and dreamy) and 'a selection of fresh berries' (the strawberries were just on the turn).

The 'petit fours' consisted of mass produced chocolates and marzipan shapes.

Unless you've been living in a cave or are completely delusional you won't consider Oslo Court to be the best restaurant in the world. Or in London. Or in St John's Wood. It's basic food, in parts cooked very well and in parts cooked like, well, how they used to cook in the bad old days. The staff are efficient and the maitre d'charming. But Le Gavroche it's not. It's a place that a certain type of person frequents in order to eat familiar food, with similar, like-minded people. Nothing more.

David M
Monday, November 05, 2012

This is absolutely my favourite restaurant in the whole world. I was introduced to it by my sister many years ago, when I first came to london, and have been coming here ever since for special occasions. It is so friendly; the food is better than excellent, the service is unparallelled in my experience - and I have eaten in hotels and restaurants all over the world - and the staff always so polite and attentive to all members of the party: and as for the pudding waiter - unique!. Antonio and his family really make every visit special. I have recommended it to all my friends and business contacts - now you have to book for any time at all.

neil jones
Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Fantastic food, excellent value, excellent atmosphere, thank you Oslo court for making my daughter's birthday an A1 experience x

Emma Birch - View all reviews by this user