San Remo

195 Castlenau, Barnes, London, SW13 9ER - View on a map

San Remo Restaurant In London

Still the best Italian for miles around. Full and buzzy even on midweek evenings and the owner is nearly always there - a good sign.

Roy Grainger
Friday, March 14, 2014

I went there with a friend on spec, and we were delighted with the restaurant. Yes, it is small and quite squashed, but the atmosphere was buzzy and, most importantly, the food was excellent. I had the liver with bacon and could not fault it. My friend had veal on a wooden charger and was very happy with his choice. We both started with asparagus which, again, was of excellent quality and well prepared. I will definitely return.

Lesley Raymond
Friday, November 01, 2013

San Remo has been going for over twenty years in the same, relatively cramped, location, and it is consistently full and buzzy, which is a good indication of its quality. It makes no pretensions about being modern or chic, it is an old-fashioned trattoria (rather like San Frediano was) with tables closely packed and the walls covered with old photos. It is not dissimilar to La Famiglia, but more chaotic and cramped.

The service is excellent but I am afraid that the food presented to me last night was poor. My wife loved her veal, even though she had asked for no wine sauce and it came dripping in it. But her pretty poor selection of vegetables were running in water and had to be sent back. Instead of providing more, they simply draiined off some of the water and returned them to us, accompanied by a silly reason as to why there was still juice at the bottom of the dish.

My tortelloni with sage and butter was effectively not very nice pasta in a soup of water and butter: the pasta was swimming in sauce. I sent it back, and again, they drained some of it so I got left with squidgy and tired pasta. Ah well, the tiramisu was good.

It is local so I would like to go back. However, it is no cheaper than better places, so I can see no reason to do so. One doesn't want to ruin a good time by spending the evening complaining to the excellent staff, so the restaurant gets away with this sort of sub-standard cooking.

James - View all reviews by this user