My Old Dutch (Holborn)

131 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6PS - View on a map

My Old Dutch (Holborn) Restaurant In London

Nice place and good food.

Courses are rich enough to be shared.

Service helpful and thoughtful

elena
Monday, July 29, 2013

The first thing that should draw you to My Old Dutch is the wide variety of beers on offer. The Mango & Passionfruit beer was incredible, with the bite of the passionfruit a welcome respite from the sweetness of the mango. The second thing that should draw you in is the sheer size of the pancakes on offer. I have never seen crepes so large - yes, they may be pricey (between £8 - £15) but you definitely do get your money's worth! The only problem is, how can you sit and have a nice savoury meal with the lure of fluffy, nutella soaked buttermilk pancakes right infront of you? Somehow, we managed it; I went for the "Amsterdammer", a maple syrup/apple/bacon "sweet/savoury" hybrid, while my other half tasted the salmon and dill "properly savoury" one. It took the waitress 3 visits to get us to order - there was so much choice, and such a huge variety! Who knew you could get chilli con carne and nachos on a pancake, or a proper curry?! The service was good, albeit somewhat languid - it took a while for us to be asked for our drinks order, but we didn't really mind as we were too busy admiring the menu!! The decor is almost cafe-like, with tables crammed in to every available space, barely big enough to fit the huge plates that the pancakes come on. We thought that we were saving room for dessert, but let me tell you that one of those crepes feels like 2 meals, and my stomach was straining my jeans on the walk home! As much as we wanted a dessert - those buttermilk pancakes will be mine! - we decided to quit while we were ahead (i.e. not throwing up) and come back again soon for some sweet pancake goodness. It's a big thumbs up for My Old Dutch!

Blaise Lewis
Monday, April 22, 2013

I loved the place so much when i was a little tiny kid. my eyes would bulge out on stalks at the sight of the enormous pancakes! and it was the only time i got to have maple syrup and cream in my main meal!

Sadly it is tired and lame now...the decor hasn't even really been updated since literally the early 80s!

Definitely avoid...and the savoury pancakes have always been vile, really cheap slimy toppings. Though i never got the point of anything other than syrup, cream, lemon and sugar or at a push, nutella on a pancake! The place looks really dirty now which is very offputting. Walk up a bit further towards Oxford St and there's a French bistro that i forget the name of on the same side of the street which is way better if you are hungry and in the area.

Kedi - View all reviews by this user
Monday, April 08, 2013

The standard of service in My Old Dutch (Holborn) is absolutely abysmal. Upon arrival to a semi full restaurant, we placed our order of 2 savoury pancakes and a milkshake. After 1.5 hours of waiting, requesting updates from the waiters and developing back ache from the wooden chairs, nothing had yet arrived.

The sheer arrrogance and lack of care from the waiters added insult to injury. I'm sure a stack of bricks would do a better job than most of the staff and would prove more worthy of the extortionate 12.5% tip added to the bill.

Needless to say we requested the tip be deducted before begrudgingly paying the bill for the worst dining experience in London.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

I visited My Old Dutch with three of my friends. I arrived to a very busy restaurant with a very congested doorway, approximately 15 people standing waiting to be seated. The waitress addressed me upon arrival as 'lady', which I did not feel was totally appropriate. Three out of four of my party had arrived at this stage, but we were told that we could not take our table until the fourth person arrived. I felt this to be a tad ridiculous as the doorway was becoming more and more chaotic with people arriving and people attempting to leave. There were several other parties in the queue that were waiting for their friends to arrive so that they could be seated.

After 15 minutes of standing and waiting, I asked the waitress if we could take our seats and explained to her that our friend was en route. She proceeded to question me as to if I was sure my friend was on the way and informed me of previous times people has said this and had ended up waiting for longer for people to be seated. Again, I didn't feel this to be totally appropriate and felt almost as though we were being dealt a warning and 'told-off'. At the end of this discussion she said we could be seated, which made me wonder what all the fuss was about to begin with.

Once seated, I felt that despite the room being quite full and busy it was quite cold. It just so happened to be a particularly cold day outside (-1 degrees) and I felt that it would have been wise of them to turn up the heat a tad. I found the service to be poor. Despite being friendly, I felt we were rushed with our orders. In the space of 10minutes, we were asked three times if we were ready to order by 3 different waiters/waitresses. Each time, we had asked for another few minutes to survey the menu, and in the end we felt as though we had to order in quite a hurried fashion.

I am no expert on pancakes but I did enjoy the food, and for me there was plenty to choose from. There was an offer of £5 for all savoury pancakes which I felt to be good value and the portions were a good size. The food was a little slow but I was in no hurry so did not mind waiting. We finished the meal and I asked for a glass of water. On the third request for this glass of water, I finally received it. The same happened with the bill. Three times we requested it and finally on the third request, we received.

All in all, I did enjoy the food but I do think the service and the way we were treated let them down considerably. The waiters/waitresses appeared to be in an almighty rush to take our orders, but the same haste was not adapted with serving the food, drinks etc.

Laura
Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Terrible! We were waiting at the door for over 5 minutes with staff walking by several times but no one even acknowledged us.

Despite ordering our sweet with our starters we still waited over 40 mins for it to arrive. We were told the tea we ordered was ready only when we told them not to bother and to bring us the bill.

I've had poffetjes in the Netherlands where they are delicious light little pancake bites, at My Old Dutch they are thick, stodgy and chewy.

I was excited that Pancake Day had fallen on my birthday but was thoroughly disappointed with our visit.

KW
Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A group of 9 of us last night booked into the Holborn branch, it was a reunion of cousins, one of whom I hadn't seen for 12 years! So we wanted something informal but nice.

One of the party had physically gone into the branch to book yesterday afternoon as the phone line was down . Four of us turned up at 7.20pm as it was raining heavily outside and we could see our table ready. After telling the staff we had arrived and asking if we could sit at our table while we waited for the others, one waitress asked us to hang on, so we did. About 5 minutes later we asked again, this time another lady who looked like the manager, extremely miserable face.

She was so rude to us saying: "You booked a table for 7.30 and it's not that time yet so you will sit at 7.30. Are the rest of your table going to be here at 7.30?" I replied saying something along the lines of "we booked and informed everyone the table is at 7.30, so yes, we presume so". She left us again and then said we could sit down. Our party all arrived by 7.40, we had to get up and ask to order, and we didnt get served untill 8.30pm.

We asked for a beer three times and it came after the food came out. My pancake was cold, we could hear the bell downstairs frantically ringing, but I did still enjoyed my food. We attempted to ask for the bill for half an hour and three different waitresses just bypassed us and looked like they were doing odd jobs such as re-laying tables and talking to each other.

We weren't given any attention or smiles from the main manager at all. She looked stressed even though the place wasn't packed, she was very sharp with us, as if we were an inconvenience. We are a very respectable family and I was quite frankly embarrassed that my cousin had travelled from America to this service, we wanted something a bit different for him to remember and he has a lot of contacts in London which he will subsequently pass on about the service.

Tanisha
Friday, February 08, 2013

Have been going since I was a child, great food, even if can vary a little. Ignore the review above the savoury pancakes are delicious- the smoke salmon and dill sauce is especially good! If you're looking for something fun and different, go there!

Sam - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, September 23, 2012

Great pancakes, but the worst espresso I've ever tasted. Couldn't drink it and the staff never asked how our meal was. I'd go back, but would avoid the coffees! I hear the milkshakes are good.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Have just got back from a Shrove Tuesday lunch with some work colleagues and have to say, it was absolutely terrible.

Firstly, the restaurant was filthy. We had to clean the cutlery ourselves with the napkins as the knives and forks were disgusting. One of the party also had to clean the table as her sleeves kept sticking to the surface! We couldn't help wondering what state the kitchen was in if the main dining area was that dirty.

Secondly, the food is NOT good and it's not cheap either (around £10 a pancake). The savoury pancakes just don't work. If you're foolish enough to visit this restaurant after reading this and other reviews, stick to sweet.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012