Pescatori (Fitzrovia)

57 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 4PF - View on a map

Pescatori (Fitzrovia) Restaurant In London

I think their dishes can be a hit and miss. I had a carpaccio di tonno for 12 quid that was really sad; three thin slices of fish.

But the couple next to me had a platter of meats and buffalo mozzarella for not that much more! So discretion when ordering would be good.

That said, pasta prices seem reasonable so I will be ordering that if I go back, especially since the people at the table next to ours seemed to be enjoying theirs.

I went there chiefly for the oysters. The Loch Fyne is good, while the Jersey Rock is clean, but a underwhelming, perhaps because I'd eaten the Loch Fyne first and that spoiled me.

Dessert is decent although at 6.50 I did wonder if I should have gotten more oysters instead.

Service is good and the staff are very friendly and thoughtful!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Pescatori. What can I say? Overpriced and underwhelming, much as it ever was. I wasn’t paying but would have been pretty annoyed if I had been, such is the over inflated cost of everything. A plate of courgette and mint penne pasta was £14.95: ingredients were pasta, a couple (okay, three at most) baby courgettes sliced into the finest slices, and mint. I thought that the advertised courgette flowers had been forgotten about until I discovered them underneath a pile of pasta, deflated and utterly pointless. (Did the chef not know what to do with them? If she or he popped round the corner to Salt Yard, they’d see just what a glorious thing a courgette flower can be when it’s stuffed with goat’s cheese and drizzled in honey.) Likewise the Pecorino was negligible in quantity or taste. The dish was utterly dull.

This main course must have cost so little to produce that the mark up is embarrassing. But I was really astonished at dessert. Affogato for £6.95. Now, this is one of the cheapest desserts in Christendom, yes? So for £6.95, you’d expect Pescatori to stretch to maybe a large portion of ice cream. Not so. One solitary scoop of vanilla ice cream – cheap-tasting and riddled with ice particles – with the requisite espresso poured on top. My, oh my. Not as good as Franco Manca’s or Briciole’s – and you could have two for that price at either establishment.

Service was also pretty disappointing – adjectives I’d use to describe the smorgasbord would be a mix between fake, cold, on the upsell and lechy.

Please avoid this joint. If you want Italian in ‘north’ Soho, go to L’Atium. Their menu is fabulous, it’s cooked with flair, is interesting and is defiantly not a rip off. In fact, I’d happily recommend Pizza Express above Pescatori. At least they’re honest about what they do and you won’t get rinsed.

whipped - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 07, 2013

We went on Saturday and having enjoyed a previous visit, were suprised and delighted to find a 30% off food offer for a busy December Saturday.

The food was generally very good - my sardine starter and gnocchi were delicious and my husband enjoyed the mussels he had as a starter but found his crab risotto a bit odd - it had deep fried piece of crab as the centrepiece and not much crab apart from that.

The service unfortunately let it down. It was all a bit chaotic even though the restaurant was only half full, with olives arriving after the starter (with no apology or "do you still want these?") and several different people serving us. We had to ask several times for the bread that came with the olives and we waited ages for dessert. Even getting our coats back was a bit of a mission. Also, some of waiters were wearing scruffy converse trainers in what is supposed to be a smart restaurant. It wasn't terrible by any means, but I'd be annoyed if we'd paid full price.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

I'm very surprised to see some of the reviews, because I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place.

I've booked it for a work dinner (12 people), and everything was planned in a brilliant way, even though we decided to change the menu as last minute.

We had the room we asked for, even though we were not having the all group as planned, the food (sardines / risotto / bruschetta - lobster / steak - pannacotta - sorbet - cafe affogatto) was absolutely brilliant. Everyone enjoyed it very much, and some of us have been in Michelin stars restaurants before.

From the manager to the waiter, the atmosphere, the welcoming..all fantastic. We will definitely going back (maybe not work related though).

I highly recommend it. Very good value for money on the offer on going!

Filipa - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 11, 2011

I took my parents to this place yesterday evening. Sicilian tomato & red onion salad is the tomato sliced in 6 pieces with a slice of onion. Lobster linguine, tomato & garlic had less than a spoon of the lobster meat (cost £22). We have been given coffee instead of Peroni beer and the waiter spilled water next to the glass on the table cloth. No one could communicate with us very well and we had 4 people serving us. I would not reccommend this place to anyone.

J.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Not worth the money!

The person who takes the bookings didn’t make us feel welcomed when we arrived.

Our waitress was miserable and unhelpful. Another waiter didn’t know the ingredients of the dishes, but at least he was a nice chap.

We order some bread and it was stale. My wife ordered a risotto which was mediocre and the prawns have not been deveined. Not what you would expect from an Italian restaurant.

My main dish, the red mullet with fried calamari rings, was dull and dry.

The lobster linguine was actually lobster spaghetti!! and didn’t seem to be made with fresh pasta. Plus you get 4 small pieces of lobster with it.

My daughter enjoyed the dessert though.

So to summarize you probably be better off going to a chain restaurant which will cost you less and you probably get a better service.

damianh - View all reviews by this user
Monday, June 20, 2011

We had a company do in the restaurant. I have to say it is one of the worst restaurants in London.

I ordered scallops and I only see one tiny scallop in my plate and served with Bacon! It tasted very fat and creamy and tasteless...

Try to avoid that place!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I was apprehensive about booking Pescatori for my friend’s Birthday after reading some of these reviews, but she loves seafood and Italian so it ticked all the gastronomic boxes and I thought I'd give it a go.

I was worried that the experience would turn out to be horrendous – but the moment we walked in the door we were put at ease. There were 5 in our party and, apart from a minor mix up with one round of drinks, the whole evening was perfect.

The food was really lovely (I had the Lobster) and the service was excellent.

I had to ask if anything had changed recently as the reviews for the service had previously been ‘unfavourable’ and was told that the company was the same but the Manager was new, so maybe that was the difference.

Certainly, we never received anything other than efficient, fast and welcoming service when we went (2nd June). My advice would be to give it a go. I’ll certainly be going back.

Kirsten Riley