Pescatori (Fitzrovia)

57 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 4PF - View on a map

Pescatori (Fitzrovia) Restaurant In London

I think their dishes can be a hit and miss. I had a carpaccio di tonno for 12 quid that was really sad; three thin slices of fish.

But the couple next to me had a platter of meats and buffalo mozzarella for not that much more! So discretion when ordering would be good.

That said, pasta prices seem reasonable so I will be ordering that if I go back, especially since the people at the table next to ours seemed to be enjoying theirs.

I went there chiefly for the oysters. The Loch Fyne is good, while the Jersey Rock is clean, but a underwhelming, perhaps because I'd eaten the Loch Fyne first and that spoiled me.

Dessert is decent although at 6.50 I did wonder if I should have gotten more oysters instead.

Service is good and the staff are very friendly and thoughtful!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Pescatori. What can I say? Overpriced and underwhelming, much as it ever was. I wasn’t paying but would have been pretty annoyed if I had been, such is the over inflated cost of everything. A plate of courgette and mint penne pasta was £14.95: ingredients were pasta, a couple (okay, three at most) baby courgettes sliced into the finest slices, and mint. I thought that the advertised courgette flowers had been forgotten about until I discovered them underneath a pile of pasta, deflated and utterly pointless. (Did the chef not know what to do with them? If she or he popped round the corner to Salt Yard, they’d see just what a glorious thing a courgette flower can be when it’s stuffed with goat’s cheese and drizzled in honey.) Likewise the Pecorino was negligible in quantity or taste. The dish was utterly dull.

This main course must have cost so little to produce that the mark up is embarrassing. But I was really astonished at dessert. Affogato for £6.95. Now, this is one of the cheapest desserts in Christendom, yes? So for £6.95, you’d expect Pescatori to stretch to maybe a large portion of ice cream. Not so. One solitary scoop of vanilla ice cream – cheap-tasting and riddled with ice particles – with the requisite espresso poured on top. My, oh my. Not as good as Franco Manca’s or Briciole’s – and you could have two for that price at either establishment.

Service was also pretty disappointing – adjectives I’d use to describe the smorgasbord would be a mix between fake, cold, on the upsell and lechy.

Please avoid this joint. If you want Italian in ‘north’ Soho, go to L’Atium. Their menu is fabulous, it’s cooked with flair, is interesting and is defiantly not a rip off. In fact, I’d happily recommend Pizza Express above Pescatori. At least they’re honest about what they do and you won’t get rinsed.

whipped - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 07, 2013

We went on Saturday and having enjoyed a previous visit, were suprised and delighted to find a 30% off food offer for a busy December Saturday.

The food was generally very good - my sardine starter and gnocchi were delicious and my husband enjoyed the mussels he had as a starter but found his crab risotto a bit odd - it had deep fried piece of crab as the centrepiece and not much crab apart from that.

The service unfortunately let it down. It was all a bit chaotic even though the restaurant was only half full, with olives arriving after the starter (with no apology or "do you still want these?") and several different people serving us. We had to ask several times for the bread that came with the olives and we waited ages for dessert. Even getting our coats back was a bit of a mission. Also, some of waiters were wearing scruffy converse trainers in what is supposed to be a smart restaurant. It wasn't terrible by any means, but I'd be annoyed if we'd paid full price.

Sunday, December 09, 2012