Phoenix Palace

3-5 Glentworth Street, Marylebone, London, NW1 5PG - View on a map

Phoenix Palace Restaurant In London

loved the food ! service was very good ! will go back again next week for sure.

sharmila - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, November 24, 2013

Used to love this place but it went downhill these days. Extremely rude staff and slow service.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

I have been to Phoenix Palace on a number of occasions and after a break returned to have the worst experience in a restaurant ever. Having spent nearly an hour waiting for our main courses, we were repeatedly told it was "on its way"; of course proven false on each occasion.

Finally I requested to speak to the manager, who advised we leave because we would not receive our food soon. Nothing short of rude and obviously the last of my visits to Phoenix Palace.

I know the food to be good here, but not worth putting up with the rude staff. Dining is an experience and there are many other worthy ones in London.
View/Add comments (1)

Seivar Al-Firqa
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BEST SERVICE, GREAT RESTAURANT AND FOOD IS OUTSTANDING

I have to say everything is perfect the service is genuine helpful and charming

Every dish we tried was top class

Lovely selection of dishes

Definitely a hidden gem in London

We will be back

Alex Jones
Saturday, August 10, 2013

Not been here for nearly 1 year now, and unfortunately I am afraid this restaurant has gone downhill since my last visit.

Dim sum was mediocre with tons of MSG, and service was patchy. We were there at 2.30pm after the lunchtime rush, but no one came to give us the menu nor cutlery.

I'd rate this place now as 'average', and not 'good' as it used to be.

I hear there has been a change of management lately- not sure if that is true?

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Now I know I’m not the only one around that thinks the “Royal China” has gone off the boil of late. Last time we had a family meal there, they ran out of high chairs which made feeding Baby G tricky as he wanted to explore, the food wasn’t as wow as it used to be and the service wasn’t particularly friendly. It also seemed like the prices were creeping up, maybe this is the curse of Gordon Ramsey! So I was firmly in the market for a Dim Sum joint. Luckily our NCT pals Ketan and Sunita suggested Sunday Lunch at the “Phoenix Palace”. They now have 2 little boys but like us try and eat out a fair bit. I consider myself a moderate connoisseur of Chinese restaurants so I was surprised I hadn’t heard of the Phoenix Palace but very glad I made it’s acquaintance.

We met them down at the Phoenix Palace which is in a side street by Baker St station. We entered through an impressively ornate lobby and were shown to our table. Ketan and Sunita being regulars had secured the coveted table by the fish tank. this was a big hit with the boys. The restaurant is really very big inside like a tardis. I liked the layout as it curves around the building so despite it’s size it still feels intimate. We ordered a selection of Dim Sum and mains which were delicious. I can confirm that in most cases it was better than the “Royal China”. Service was efficient, they didn’t rush us to order and were very nice with the boys. Also a big plus was that we had plenty of room for a pram and for the boys to play. 2 year olds will only sit at the table for so long so as they were happy playing, not disturbing the other patrons or staff we could get on with some serious eating.

We were able to enjoy a friendly relaxed family lunch in nice surroundings. The boys loved their food and there was a good variety on the menu. We really felt at home and vowed to come back soon. The bill was really very reasonable for the quality of the food and the amount we ate. I still salivate at the thought of their lovely sesame prawn rolls!

david ginsberg - View all reviews by this user
Monday, October 08, 2012

Very reasonable dim-sum. Scallop cheung-fung (called rice pasta on menu) very nice as was the fried shredded squid. Wasabi prawn dumplings, pork and coriander dumplings, pig's belly and salad really good. Spring onion pancakes okay. Chicken gyoza ordinary. All in all above average.

Decor - this place couldn't look more like a mid-high end Chinese restaurant. The tables are well spaced - it's a very pleasant place to eat.

The service is very reasonable - the staff are friendly and warn you if they think that you may be wendering into parts of the menu less likely to please westerners.

Value for money is okay. Dim sum go for a little over three quick to a little over five. Beers are three and a half a pop.

All in all - better than most dim-sum joints in London. Not as good as Alisan in Wembley though. Perhaps a little more pricey.

Rex - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, August 05, 2012

Yuk! Soup was luke warm. Mini pickled octopus starter was disgusting. Singapore noodles were too dry and chicken dish was bland. The only good dish we had was the chilli beef. Service was so fast, we were seated by the entrance even though the main restaurant wasn't busy, and ordered ate and paid all within 40 mins! Hardly a nice Saturday dining experience. Really - don't bother!

m
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Food was ok, not amazing - standard Cantonese fare averagely cooked. Dim sum was hit and miss; Shanghai dumplings needed more soup, the sui mai were over-processed and should have been more coarse and should have contained more prawn. Was disappointed with our honey roasted pork which was dry and overcooked; lacked the moistness and tenderness I found all over Hong Kong. Finally, prices were expensive for Cantonese food, in fact more expensive than the Royal China. I therefore expected a bit more finesse to the cooking than the standard I encountered; it was more akin to Chinatown.

Mark
Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 8/10

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - The decoration hails from the school of Chinese bling with huge gold dragons arching their backs menacingly next to red carved wooden chairs and heavy lacquered screens. Just my type of place...Our selection of tasty morsels started with the har gao prawn dumplings whose pliant, thin skin was stretched over plump, juicy prawns. The Shanghai pork dumplings erred on the stodgy side but off the specials list, the chicken and ginger dumpling was a revelation. Subtly flavoured with a delicate, translucent skin the dumplings were adorned with two peas making the them look a little like the dim sum version of ET.

Will Eat For Money

Will Eat For Money

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - Beef ball dumpling. Minced beef mixed with mushed peas. Well seasoned beef and fortunately the taste of peas didn't come through too strongly. A very decent meatball. Fried dough cheung fun. Another one I hadn't come across before, but really liked. The noodle roll itself was perfectly dense, while the fried dough filling was nicely crispy. Wonderful when dipped in to the sweet soy sauce...Some items at Phoenix Palace were more successful than others, such as the har gau, and the overall quality was good. It's a good option for a dim sum lunch on the weekend, though beware of queuing times.

Pig Pig's Corner

Pig Pig's Corner

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - Phoenix Palace is located centrally just off Marylebone Road and just a couple of minutes away from Baker Street tube station. The store front merely hints at the decor inside, filled with shiny lacquered wood and traditional Chinese decorations and engravings looking very much the epitome of the old school opulent Chinese restaurant...We managed to sample a wide range of dishes, and overall they were mostly average to good quality overall although there were a couple I strongly disagreed with. However, I think that for nearly the same price, Pearl Liang has the better quality for nearly all the dishes.