La Bouchee

56 Old Brompton Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 3DY - View on a map
Telephone: 020 7589 1929

La Bouchee Restaurant In London

Four of us went to a pre-booked, mid-week Birthday lunch. Having chosen La Bouchee from several listed on london-eating, because of the uniformly good reviews, we were disappointed that it was not as good as we had believed. Almost all the reviews were from 2012, so maybe there had been a change of chef, or management...?

We were welcomed, shown to our table in the window, and given every encouragement to order, attentive and smiling staff explained the menu (it was in French, naturally) and we selected our dishes. We chose something to start, then main courses, and the least expensive bottle of wine. One had squid followed by octopus, both pronounced excellent. One had coq au vin, one confit de canard, both were average, and one had a pork dish, all then had Creme brulee and coffee.

La Bouchee looks pretty scruffy inside, with extremely sticky tables, for 4 of us the bill was nearly £200 which seemed a good deal more than expected, and more than the earlier reviews had suggested.

FJB - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, March 15, 2014

As always La Bouchee is just a REALLY good place to be. Sunday lunch 16th September there were four of us. Everyone loved the attention to detail and the meticulously prepared sauces that make all the difference. I think I will be back in January. Its not been so long since I have been back this time and the place has been “de-cluttered” a little. The walls used to be a little too busy. Staff are friendly and the service warm and efficient.

KMcG
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The sundried tomato Parmesan risotto is the best I've had in years. I also cook risotto, the texture was perfect. This is a must try.

Sit on the patio with a bottle of French souvigan blanc, this is a quiet place to pretend you are in France.

Monday, August 20, 2012

I visited La Bouchee Sunday 17th June for lunch. Every time I am in London for the weekend I try to visit. Sadly its been nearly three years since I have been there. As always, a fantastic meal and a convivial atmosphere. I REALLY love this place. If you are felling “fresh” the specials board changes constantly or if you want some French country classics then the standard menu is the one for you. My wife ordered a whole sea bass for main and it came that way!!!...head and all. She claimed it was “Delicious”. I was a bit more conservative and had the entrecote steak with sauce béarnaise. It was beautiful. Those of you with a liking for cheese please order the assiette des fromages. It comes with a home made almond and raisin bread cut into very thin slices and almost like a biscuit. A great accompaniment... it just needs more of it.

Kevin McG
Thursday, June 21, 2012

We go to this restaurant 2 or 3 times a year when we visit this part of London. We often think about going somewhere else but the food, service and atmosphere compels us to keep returning.

With their authentic French menus –the specials board for non French speakers is great fun to work out, although there is plenty of help on hand when we need it.

All I can say is we have never in about 10 years of going had a bad experience.

Great food, atmosphere and great service, what more could you want.

Graham Billett