Oliveto

49 Elizabeth Street, Belgravia, London, SW1W 9PP - View on a map

Oliveto Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Matthew Norman - 4/5

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - In a bid to avoid a return to Pseud’s Corner, I won’t come over too elegiac about the lightness of the crispy, thin crust, which puffed out into airy bubbles at the rim and had that gorgeous hint of borderline burntness at the base. The toppings were also outstanding. My friend went for the Caprino, which brought together goat’s cheese, aubergine and sun-dried tomatoes. “Not soggy, not dry, good and herby, generous with the sauce and mozzarella, really well balanced toppings,” he said. “This is magnificent.” So was my Salsiccia, a congeries of minced Sardinian sausage and, offsetting their savouriness, sweet red onion.

First visit today in response to Matthew Norman's review in the Telegraph and because i can't resist thin crispy pizza. On balance we came away disappointed and thinking that Oliveto is not good value. The place doesn't have a lot of character, and the tables are tightly spaced. Staff were frankly a bit glum and made quite unnecessary attempts to place us right next to a noisy child, albeit that there was lots of room elsewhere- using the argument that the place was going to be full of them quite soon (it wasn't).

We both chose a lentil and carrot soup that was competent but not very interesting, and then our pizzas came. They were indeed thin and crispy though I have to say that I've had thinner and crisper. I've also had pizzas with a lot more flavour- these seeme singularly bland. Two soups, two pizzas, two coffees and the cheapest bottle of wine on the list (£21) came to £75 with service. The place looks and performs like a slightly upmarket Pizza Express without the pushchairs (they have to remain outside).

Go again? Don't think so. Simply not quite good enough and not good enough value to rise to the top of the list again. Must stop reading Matthew Norman's reviews.

David Henderson - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, December 08, 2012

had a lovely meal there, twas luncheon and wonderful, good service, I consumed pizza, tasted m'colleague's pasta which was lovely then enjoyed a lovely little ice cream/yoghurt/honey combination and an espresso, service as I said was good, efficient etc, all in all twas spiffing.

The Great Consumer
Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Olivo / Olivomare group has a great reputation which is why, to my shock, I was surprised at my experience at Oliveto. We made a reservation and walked to the restaurant from home, a 30 minute stroll on a late afternoon. Upon entering the restaurant with my buggy and new born baby, I was immediately met by the scornful manager who sternly ordered us to deposit our pram upstairs. Of course I would have been happy to do so had it not been for her scathing manner. I asked her if she would make an exception as the restaurant was almost empty, and my 5 week old baby was sound asleep. Seeing that we have been patrons of Olivo and Olivomare for so many years, I thought she wouldn't mind. To my shock (and to the shock of the diners there) she started to raise her voice and ordered us out, pushing me with her hand, at which point my baby woke and started to cry. To be fair, it is a small restaurant and I understand the no pram policy, but her manner in instructing us was quite unbelievable. Oh Mr. Sanna, you are doing yourself a great disservice to your hard earned group by having such an abrasive and rude individual working at your restaurant. Some patrons who witnessed the scene came out and agreed that her behaviour was extreme. I will not ever be going to Olivo or Olivomare ever again.

aless