Scalini

1-3 Walton Street, London, SW3 2JD - View on a map

Top drawer, everything you want in a restaurant and for any occasion.

Top service top food top atmosphere

Good value!

Mark Coote
Wednesday, February 05, 2014

not sure what the average price comes from, I would put it more accurately around the 80-100 mark. This restaurant exists on its reputation of the past, because that clearly isn't what it is now.

the food is particularly poor, with such as soft zuchini and large chips served up described as 'saute' potatoes, which clearly they are not. along with some other houses- they seem thoroughly incapable of delivering a steak as ordered and the service is tepid. We went in a party of 8 - to a half empty restaurant for lunch and I had to reach 3 or 4 times for the white wine myself.

Overall this place is poor and dying a slow death I'm afraid. Avoid, there's far better for the money and ambiance around

Geoff B - View all reviews by this user
Friday, January 18, 2013

west to scalini for lunch today, food good, but they should learn to make a decent cup of coffee. It was not much better than coloured water.

anita
Sunday, December 30, 2012

I went last night at Scalini and ordered a past dish called Strozzapreti that not tasted of anything!!!!for main dish veal alla milanese, 3 little and very thin slices of meat served with a sauce covered with pepper seeds and a flower made with mashed potatoes flour and a side dish of vegetables made of 2 chips, 2 pieces of broccoli and some very thin french beans completely tasteless!!!

After I went home I looked on the internet to learn about Strozzapreti pasta and realised that what I was served was somenthing completely different!!!!

I would not go there again!

Giovanna Melisi
Sunday, November 04, 2012

I ate with my girlfriend and father in scalini last night and as soon as I placed my cutlery down I decided I must write a review. I have never written a review about food before but this is a must. The staff are very warm and vibrant. You can tell they enjoy there job. The pre starters as I'd like to call them are lovely, huge juicy green olives, some tomatoes mixed with lovely spices and flavours and not to mention the lovely tasting butter from Italy.

We decided to skip starters as I heard that the main is very filling. And good instincts proved right. I ordered a lovely soft succulent veal dish with a side order of the most amazing spaghetti. The spaghetti was bursting with flavour but not too overwhelming. The grated cheese was out of this world. I took one bite into my veal dish and it tasted out of this world. All I can say is you have to try to know what I'm talking about. My girlfriend ordered a fillet steak which I couldn't resist but eat some of it! That had an amazing sauce on top which was of the right consistency and flavour. Not too overwhelmingly filled with different tastes, just right. My father ordered a spaghetti lobster dish which I must say, I got jealous of. I tried a tiny bit of the dish and decided that's what I'm getting next.

Moving on, the venue is cosy, and reminded me of a side street restaurant in Paris. The atmosphere was suffisticated so to speak with a feeling of warmth and friendlyness. Everyone one is everyone's friend it seemed. The restaurant itself was spacious and warm and the style was 'west end class'.

I must say the value was exceedingly reasonable and in fact I was expecting to pay more. My father and his friends go almost every week and I think I will be too! Very great restaurant and a great evening. I hope that you can pass this message onto the staff.

Mr.michael
Sunday, April 08, 2012

I first tried this restaurant shortly after opening and had the impression the chef was more interested in trying to be interesting that actually serving up good food. The meals were too small, pointlessly overcomplicated and really didn't taste that good.

However, I thought I'd give it another try last night when invited by some friends and went with an open mind.

I'm sorry to report that it is just as bad as it was the first time - poorly mixed cocktail, completely over-powering amuse bouche, entree devoid of any seasoning and flavor, tiny seabass main and a pancotta that looked like it had been scraped out of the bin. At the end of the day it is no good trying to be clever if you can't get basic seasoning right or blend the flavours in a way that works.

The atmosphere was pleasant enough but we all agreed that we wouldn't return and are at a loss to understand the positive reviews.

I eat out most nights, from basic bistros and gastro-pubs to all the top London restaurants (michelin starred and otherwise) and there are plenty of fantastic places about. Sadly,this is not one of them.

All hype and style. Zero substance.
View/Add comments (1)

Saturday, April 07, 2012

I have always liked SCALINI it is typically Italian, plenty of people yet you feel you are the only one there, it is not a big restaurant however with a clever use of mirrors it looks much larger.

Colin Rate - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 01, 2012

Re the previous reviewers: guys you've really missed it. Scalini in Walton Street Knightsbridge is a fabulous restaurant frequented by mostly Knightsbridge regulars, movie stars and other celebs. It is one of my favourite haunts. The staff can be a little indifferent in their humour but I am sur it is not intended to offend. Mario is a great host and I defy yu to find a better high quality Italian Restaurant in the neighbourhood. My guests and I have always had a terriffic time there and I can't wait to go again. Don't be put off by these negative reviews.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the negative views. The service is appalling as the staff are hurried, rude & just not interested in good customer service. Plus, when you ask for something they whisper some comment under their breath, which is also extremely rude, as though you are inconveniencing them!

The food was very average, bordering on poor and it was very over priced. The only good thing was the wine but luckily the restaurant doesn't make the wine!!!

When we left I made my comments to the owner/manager & he was as rude as the staff, almost telling us to go somewhere else in future, which we will gladly do.

I will never go to this restaurant again & I would advise everyone else to avoid it to save disappointment.
View/Add comments (1)

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

I dined at Scalini's last night with seven friends, we had a great evening. The menu is extensive and all the food was superb, The staff were attentive without being intrusive. The owners were mingling amongst the diners.The restaurant was fully booked and had a great atmosphere and we would certainly love to dine there again. Do not be put off by negative reviews on this site, I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Ann Marie Norman