Cafe Koha

11 St. Martin's Court, London, WC2N 4AJ - View on a map

DO NOT GO HERE! I would give this place zero stars if I could. Terrible service, possibly the worst I've seen in London. We bought several bottles of wine (which, wasn't good) so we could sit outside (since the weather is unusually warm right now). What they didn't tell us was that within an hour of us ordering, we would need to vacate since the crowd standing outside the stage door for the nearby Daniel Radcliffe play was going to get larger. So pathetic. They told us this only after we'd drank about half of what we'd ordered. At this point they told us that it was a legal licensing issue (but couldn't produce anything to prove that this was true). They then told us they would refund our money but then changed their minds. The owner and one waiter were particularly vile. Whatever you do - do not waste your money on this disgusting excuse for a bar.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Oh dear, what's happened to Koha? Admittedly a busy Saturday, but that didn't quite explain the hour (plus) wait for food; three prawns for £8 ('Sorry', said the waitress, 'There should be four' (!); the massively over-cooked, and thus dried-out, squid nor the gravadlax that wasn't, with dill and mustard being absent.

Steaks were a bit better, though fries were undercooked as the kitchen rushed to get our order out as our irritation clearly grew. Yes, the manager was charming and we had a another bottle of wine on the house, but this was really not good eneough.

Service was slow, albeit smiley, but I'm scoring down to make the point.

Paul
Monday, July 01, 2013

My husband and I popped in here on Friday night, originally with the intention of enjoying a a relaxed bottle of wine following a gig in Leicester Sq. It was around 10pm but Cafe Koha was buzzing with the post-theatre crowd, nevertheless the waiter found us a lovely little table in the corner by the window without issue, even though we explained that we weren't planning to eat.

Halfway through a very reasonably priced bottle of white and after seeing several tantalising plates of food land on the surrounding tables, our resolve failed and we ended up ordering a mezze platter to share. This comprised of several dips (all homemade), some olives, feta and grilled pittas. For about £7 it was an inexpensive and tasty accompaniment to the wine.

On the downside, the mezze proved a slippery slope and we soon ended up ordering two mains as well - a very well put together burger which my husband wolfed down and some delicious gnocchi with tomatoes, goats cheese and olives.

On reflection, the attentive staff are probably so accommodating to those 'just coming in for a bottle of wine' because they know it takes steely determination to resist the temptation of their food... I'm certainly glad I gave in and am very pleased to have found this little gem amongst the many tourist traps and burger bars nearby. Would recommend and will definitely be back!

SJP - View all reviews by this user