Afghan Kitchen

35 Islington Green, Islington, London, N1 8DU - View on a map

Having read a lot of mixed reviews about the service at Afghan Kitchen I wasn't sure what to expect, but the lady who served us was extremely friendly and attentive. We had the aubergine and the dhal which were both delicious. We'll be back soon!

Stuart
Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If there's one restaurant in London that divides opinion, it's this one. I've had arguments with friends about this place. As with Marmite, people seem to either love it or hate it.

I think what polarises opinion so much is the expectation of a full-blown restaurant relative to what it really is when you get there. So let's set the record straight. It's a two floor canteen with, if I remember correctly, two large tables on each level. Remember I said canteen. That's because you share your table with fellow diners. People don't come here for privacy.

The menu is very limited. From a tiny kitchen they produce an endless stream of just a handful of items. In two visits you could eat the whole menu. But what they do do isn't bad at all. And that's why I've been several times. From what I can tell, there seem to be some regulars and, for that reason, combined with lack of seating, I'd recommend making a booking to come here.

The decor was a slight problem for me. While I liked the clean lines and plain walls, it can get a bit loud and echoey at busy times. This is less of an issue during the week. But I can't go there during busy times.

Prices are very reasonable. They look expensive at first sight, but one needs to remember Afghan restaurants are rare, so I allow a bit of leeway.

I'd recommend you use public transport if you plan to come here. Parking is mortifyingly difficult in this area. But it's worth the effort.

Alan Ingham - View all reviews by this user