Bintang

93 Kentish Town Road, London, NW1 8NY - View on a map

Bintang Restaurant In London

Don't waste your money on this place. The food is very cheap but the ingredients are bottom drawer and the manager is extremely rude.

Suzi
Friday, March 14, 2014

A rare gem! I was lucky enough to have eaten at Bintang for a friend's birthday do, and we had the Xmas menu. It was superb and the flavours were out of this world, so I came again with a friend the other day for their a la carte menu. I thoroughly enjoyed every morsel and wished I lived nearer! I enjoy food that has exciting flavours, and bintang's menu is definitely bursting with ideas. Squid leg tacos anyone?! You must try the Bintang rice as well. Till next time!

Melanie
Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Firstly the service: Small restaurant, 7 covers on one table, 2 on another and then 4 in my party. It took over 30 minutes for the waiter to even acknowledge our table, we were halfway through our wine and had to stand up to catch his attention.

To their credit, the tofu bites were good as were the chicken dumplings but when my vegetable tempura arrived it was dark and overcooked, from the first bite I felt a chemical taste spread into my mouth and begin to burn, I immediately spat the offending item into a tissue and the burn continued. The table tried a piece and they experienced the same sensation, when i sent the offending item back, I was told by the waiter that the chef had used 'too much soda water' SODA WATER WOULDN'T BURN MY MOUTH! I told him that couldn't be the case and then said that the chef had put too much Bicarbonate of Soda in the tempura batter. My suspicions were confirmed when they couldn't replace or re-make the tempura and threw a plate of tofu bites in front of me and told me to 'Have this instead' - but by this point (nearly 1 hour into service) I was so hungry that I just ate the tofu without complaint.

MAIN COURSES - Bintang noodles with tofu and aubergine, not a slither of aubergine in the dish. When asked about the missing aubergine we received a shrug of the shoulders from the 'my service is just as good as the food' waiter. The vermicelli rice noodles (not wheat noodles as stated on the menu) had been over-cooked in cold oil. With every mouthful a squirt of oil would fill your mouth and leave a bitter film. Sounds delightful doesn't it?

Char Kway Teo - Ahhh, A dish from my native homeland :-0 This was certainly not a Char Kway Teow and shouldn't be labelled as such. Like the missing aubergine in the Bintang noodles, this did not contain fishcake as described and nor was it served on a banana leaf as per the menu, just slopped on a plate with a lack of care or attention and filled with onion and raw, un-cooked leeks, at least it masked the burning sensation from the tempura starter. They also used pad thai medium thickness rice noodles instead of the flat, wide ones that should be used.

Pad Thai - Whatever this was, it wasn't a pad thai. We haven't figured out the flavour but it tasted like there had been some lidl's own brand tomato ketchup going on in there!

Curry - The only dish that was ok - WELL DONE BINTANG, you managed an ok!

Prawn Crackers - These were great, best part of the meal, we should have stopped there!

This isn't the first time I've been here and the food has never been great but last nights experience has ensured that I will NEVER go here again.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

went here last night for a friend's birthday.

it's a very small and cosy restaurant and the staff were very friendly and helpful. it is BYOB which is good if you like wine or beer with your meal.

the menu is nice with a lot of choice and the food was delicious. all of my friends complimented the food.

i'd definitely recommend it and would go again.

as it is a small place, it is probably a good idea to book a table

Delores VanCartier - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, October 21, 2012

Went here long time ago. Good place with cozy atmosphere and value-for-money foods! I liked it.

Bunny - View all reviews by this user
Friday, December 09, 2011

Went last night - food was amazing and the service great. Our waiter Derek was really friendly and didn't rush us at all even though we didn't get there until 9pm. We were talking for about 40 minutes we placed our order and that didn't seem to be a problem at all.

We sat outside which was lovely - very simple and relaxed.

Food.....amazing. I had the wasabi prawns which were just outstanding. I will definitely be making a beeline for Bintang again soon.

Claire
Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Went to Bintang on 30.04.2011. the food was, warm, tasteless and overall disappointing and the general service was very poor. In fact we were given our bill when we had not yet finished our time at the table; we had not asked for it; it was only 09:50 p.m. and the resturant was not even that busy. The guy in charge just laughed this point off and so we left and did not pay the gratuity fee as there was little to be grateful fo . A message to the Owner, If your staff cannot be civil you will end up losing custom. Customer care should not discriminate.

jac