The Punjab

80 Neal Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9PA - View on a map

Awful. Nasty brown slurry they were passing off as curry - all the dishes were the same. And the waiting staff were so RUDE. How on earth this place has remained open for so long I have no idea! One to avoid.

Racc
Thursday, April 17, 2014

We were a group of 5 adults and 3 children (3-year olds) when we went to this restaurant to have lunch... We had been there many times before. The adults were ravenous and going to order food and drink properly. However the children wanted to eat pasta so a friend gave them homemade pasta she had carried along for one of the children. The manager stared screaming about how outside food was not allowed. We explained to him rather politely that we were only giving the 3-year olds home made food as they are fussy eaters and they don't eat outside food (especially not Indian food), but the adults were all going to eat and drink entirely in the restaurant. However, he actually threw us out, very very rudely.

We were shocked, never ever had we seen a restaurant that wont let little children eat home-made food and would insist that they have spicy / other restaurant food only!

We will never go to this otherwise average restaurant again...

slt
Monday, April 07, 2014

We are a family of five from the Netherlands and like exotic meals. Although Indian cuisine is not our favourite (Thai cuisine is), we had high expectations because we read an advert in the Covent Garden Underground elevator, The Punjab being the best Indian restaurant in the UK.

We all ordered a different main course. I ordered a dish, can't remember the name, but it had the qualification "YOU SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE TRIED ONCE IN A LIFETIME".

Main courses were served and we noticed we all got chicken with a brown sauce. Various colors brown, but all brown. And everything tasted "brown". Only very very small differences between the main courses: We tried a piece from each other. Absolutely not very exciting or special.

On my way to the toilet I looked at other tables and spotted brown sauce only. Can they do other than brown sauce? Have been to other Indian restaurants in the UK (London, Stratford, Glasgow) which were much better.

Staff were really pushy; have been asked to order by at least 5 staff members in less than 5 minutes.

Highly overrated !!!

Bart Vonk - View all reviews by this user
Monday, April 15, 2013

Extremely rude people......I wont step into this place.......

mahi
Friday, June 29, 2012

This is one of my fav restaurants in london!!! The food is not greasy or spicy which is a bonus as i find indian restaurants make the food so spicy that you can't even taste the food!! I would definitely recommend punjab restaurant especially their saag panner.

Savi Shankar
Sunday, January 15, 2012

I took my friends to this restaurant on Saturday evening but it was a total disaster. Food was OK but staff was too pushy. I understand it was busy on a saturday evening but their behaviour was unacceptable. I have never seen something like this in any restaurant. I felt so much pressure and for a moment, I felt am I eating here for free? Staff was behaving like they are doing some favour by serving food to us. With in 5 mins, 5 different people came asking for desserts. We got so irritated and me and my friends decided to leave that place immediately. Would never ever go back again. Don't go there. It will ruin your evening.

Mohit Gaur
Thursday, December 08, 2011

Great food and friendly service. Was worried about the dahl when it turned up but it had cracking flavour. Naan breads good too. Would definitely go back.

Always Hopeful - View all reviews by this user
Friday, November 04, 2011

Best punjabi cuisine that I have eaten at any restaurant. The food is brilliant and tastes exactly as it should. You can tell this is home cooked food cooked perfectly.

Read some reviews of rude staff but to be honest, I went with some friends a few weeks ago and a few of us were slightly late. The staff were fine with us in all honesty.

The service was fast and the waiters also quite friendly.

I've been to a lot of Indian restaurants in London (some with michelin star ratings), but this is by far my favourite. Great food and not too expensive either.

Vik Singh