Chapter One

Telephone: 01689 854848

Chapter One Restaurant In London

The Independent

John Walsh - 12/15

Saturday, June 05, 2010 - Pan-fried wild halibut was sweet and moist, and the accompanying shredded celeriac danced along with tiny St George mushrooms; the only bum note was a superfluity of lobster foam. (Hasn't foam had its day now? Can we please go back to sauce?) Poached and roasted quail wrapped round melting-away foie gras was a rich choice, lifted by braised red cabbage...Chapter One is my top gastronomic find of the year so far. Hats off to Mr McLeish and his talented team. And when I tell you there's currently a Monday-to-Saturday two-course lunch promotion for 14.50 - what are you waiting for?

We are lucky enough to live locally to this restaurant ,and it is a favourite for celebrations and special events.

It rarely disappoints, so with confidence we booked a table in December indicating where we would like to sit, as we had seen a suitable table arrangement previously, to celebrate my 70th birthday with family on 1st February this year. We requested a table for 14 people, numbers to be confirmed nearer the date, having been told that they could accommodate up to 20 comfortably.. Three members of our family travelled down from Lancashire solely to join us on this occasion. A few days before the event someone rang.to say that they could not let us have the tables where we had requested so the two tables would be on the centre of the room.

On arrival I was utterly amazed to find that these were two separate round tables, and the family were divided for this "family" event. Those on the 'other' table had an order taken for drink, I needed to request from the waiter pouring water for a drink for myself and sister in law. No one else was asked if they wanted a drink. Eventually I asked my husband (who was sitting on the ' other' table ) how they had managed to get drinks, and he requested a waitress to bring me a drinks menu. And so it continued. Two items we wanted were not available, although alternatives were in place.

The food was as usual excellent, without exception, but the whole event was ruined as a family party due to the obvious lack of communication regarding the seating and the drinks service on our table.

On complaining about our dissatisfaction on our way out, we were told that,it was not possible to seat 14 people in any other way. Had we been told this in December we would have gone elsewhere. I am totally put out by the attitude of the company towards this.

Maria Furness