China Boulevard on the River

1 The Boulevard, Smugglers Way, Wandsworth, London, SW18 1DE - View on a map

China Boulevard on the River Restaurant In London

Was not let down with a visit to this restaurant after mixed reviews. The service is second to none, the food is always well cooked, sea bass was delicious and presented with a bill that is very reasonable for such quality. Would recommend for family bookings as it's a big restaurant.

B Walliams
Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Went last Sunday first time as friend's recommendation. The service and dim sum was very nice. Much better service and tastier food than any restaurant in Chinatown. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Peter - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Disgusting, poor customer service, and not great food. The manager was accomodating after much discussion. Wouldn't bother going there at all.

soph
Sunday, June 16, 2013

Excellent Dim Sum - good quality and fresh. Will visit again in my next visit to London.

Cathy Leung
Tuesday, April 02, 2013

A friend recommend this restaurant so we gave it a try. I visited the restaurant just the other night and I have to say it was just lovely. The staff and atmosphere was good but most of all, the food was fantastic.

For starters Hot and sour soup was the best I had and Salt and Pepper Ribs came in fair portions. Main Course I had the Pan Fried Dover Sole with Ginger, Garlic and Soy Sauce. My friend had the Crispy Shredded Beef and both were the best I have ever had and well worth the money. I would recommend this restaurant highly.

Alexia W
Thursday, September 27, 2012

Last minute decision to book a table at this restaurant with friends and family. Service was friendly and attentive despite a busy packed environment. They can tell I was the host without telling them and looked after my guests really well - wine and drinks was always served and topped up to ladies first, then the guests and eventually my glass. Atmosphere was warm and inviting. Food was delicious

No real complaints - I'd certainly go back.

Roger Lee
Thursday, July 12, 2012

I went for dinner on a Friday evening, and there was a full wedding happening downstairs! We sat on the mezzanine, meaning we were like strange un-invited guests at this wedding, from listening to some of the cheesiest love songs at a volume people were dancing to, to watching them cut the cake, watching their first dance and a 15 minute very loud drum performance (two men with drums - I recorded it as it beggared belief how loud and awful it was). The one time it wasn't blaring noise was during the speeches, which we sat through whilst eating our mains. Whilst I do hope they are happy, this was absolutely ridiculous. If you hold a private function somewhere, you have to close your whole restaurant unless you have an entirely separate section for diners. Food was nice, and generous, but I feel utterly robbed of a nice evening and I will never be back.

Hannah
Monday, May 28, 2012

when i went today for late lunch before i sat down - i asked if they were doing the 50% off the bill if paid cash promotion and the waitress said yes and directed me to the table. so we ordered and ate and when it came to asking for the bill, we will shocked to find it wasn't 50% off. when i asked the waitress, she denied telling me it was! i felt cheated!!!

and as I always feel cheated of the service charges when going to Restaurants. I had spent £57 on the total bill yet the service charge was £6.24???, i disputed that service charge and told him it should be based on customer's discretion!! and told the waitress that i didn't wish to pay and which she then questioned me back and said we gave you service!!!

I was so shocked she questioned me and then i said to her doesn't your manager pay you a salary to serve customers as your job???? service charge is up to the customers as it should be!! and she didn't believe me and told me to wait whilst she get the manager!!! unbelievable!!!

Sandy, Wandsworth
Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I normally go to China Palace (Excel) or Yi Ban in Docklands. We went to CB on a Monday for dim sum. I agree with the below review - it seems all the baby chair clips are broken and had to be strapped =S.

However different opinion as I found the staff friendly and the manager was very smiley.

We had the following authentic and usual weekly typical dim sum food: - har gau, - chicken feet BB sauce, - pork ribs with black bean sauce, - king Prawn cheung Fun, - custard buns, - bbq pork buns, - Prawn Spring Rolls, - Prawn croquette with salad sauce, - Turnip patty.

All was very good quality and fresh! similar price and standard to Yi Ban and Excel.. or if not bit better. However not the same quality of dim sum as Royal China Palace but as expected.

Lynn Chen
Thursday, October 06, 2011

Just had probably the worst dim sum I've experienced in London this weekend at China Boulevard. I have been here several times before and whilst I've always known it is not up to the best Chinatown standards it's always been at least acceptable as an alternative to making the trip into central London. Obviously things have gone downhill recently.

First off, we asked for a high chair for our child. We we're given one with torn, broken straps that did not clip together in any way. Looking around I saw another high chair given to another table that was in the same state. This was not just annoying but I suspect is against Health and Safety regulations. Even if it is not, it is clearly a safety risk to any child using the chair, so thanks very much for that China Boulevard.

Then the food: First to arrive were the fried yam croquettes. It is common for these to be pre-cooked and served warm. But these were stone cold and not only that, they tasted sour - the taste of old, bad oil that has gone cold and been let for some time. I strongly suspect they were at least 24hrs old if not more.

Next to come was the fried turnip paste. This should be lightly fried and brown on the outside and bright white inside. This version was murky and grey inside - again suggesting it was at least a day old - probably more.

Prawn cheung fun also had a grey look to it that suggested it was either bought in from elsewhere or prepared a long time prior to serving. The char siu buns had a filling the colour (and a hint of flavour) of takeaway sweet-and-sour sauce (there should only be a trace of red from the char siu pork). Again, wrong. Steamed chicken and mushroom rice pot was drenched in far too much soy sauce.

Glutinous rice in lotus leaves was passable but this did not seem to be made on site as they came in a paper wrapper normally found in shop-bought, pre-made varieties.

Service started off fine but 2 of our dishes were forgotten and caused a 20 min wait. During this time we were approached several times to ask if we'd finished, only to have to keep repeating that we were still waiting for the rest of our food. Once they even started to clear our table. The restaurant was not even busy.

At the end, with our money on the table one of the ruder waitresses rushed over and counted the cash right down to the last penny in front of us, obviously to make sure we had paid the so-called 'optional' service charge. After seeing that the tip had indeed been paid, she actually said 'Good.'

It's a shame when restaurants make the mistake of trying to save a few pennies here and there by serving bad (or old) food, without realising that the bad reviews that result will end up costing them a lot more in the long run.

Don't think I'll be going back.

stevelondon - View all reviews by this user