Merkato

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Slightly off the beaten track. If you don't live in the area, or pass through on any other business, you'll need to walk for about 10 minutes from King's Cross station to reach this address. When you do reach it, however, it's not a waste of time at all.

The restaurant itself is fairly small with a laid-back style of decor. There is a certain effort to show off art from the region, although one never feels truly immersed in it.

The food arrives in generous portions and, although I can't comment on authenticity, is very nice indeed. Those who prefer to avoid anything too spicy might want to choose carefully, however. Ethopian beers are on offer as well, which is a nice touch.

The service was very polite, although I had trouble hearing the waitress at times as she was very soft-spoken. There were a few communication difficulties, but nothing impossible to overcome.

Value is hard to gauge, as I don't eat in many Ethopian restaurants, so I don't know the normal expectations. But I felt I had reasonably good value for money. The food made for an interesting experience but I felt the restaurant was a bit bare when it was trying to be more.

It's certainly worth a visit if you are in the market for something different.

Alan Ingham - View all reviews by this user