Merkato

196 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, N1 0SL - View on a map

Merkato Restaurant In London

Slightly off the beaten track. If you don't live in the area, or pass through on any other business, you'll need to walk for about 10 minutes from King's Cross station to reach this address. When you do reach it, however, it's not a waste of time at all.

The restaurant itself is fairly small with a laid-back style of decor. There is a certain effort to show off art from the region, although one never feels truly immersed in it.

The food arrives in generous portions and, although I can't comment on authenticity, is very nice indeed. Those who prefer to avoid anything too spicy might want to choose carefully, however. Ethopian beers are on offer as well, which is a nice touch.

The service was very polite, although I had trouble hearing the waitress at times as she was very soft-spoken. There were a few communication difficulties, but nothing impossible to overcome.

Value is hard to gauge, as I don't eat in many Ethopian restaurants, so I don't know the normal expectations. But I felt I had reasonably good value for money. The food made for an interesting experience but I felt the restaurant was a bit bare when it was trying to be more.

It's certainly worth a visit if you are in the market for something different.

Alan Ingham - View all reviews by this user
Friday, February 08, 2013

Sometimes I want to branch out and try new places, and this time it was a mistake. I should have listened to my instincts. When we walked in, there was an overwhelming odor of perfume and no patrons. I was tempted to leave, but ended up sitting outside because it was a gorgeous day and I was famished.

Our server absentmindedly swiped a dry napkin across the filthy table (which did absolutely nothing).

We ordered a veg combo, and after 30 minutes of sitting without food and watching another table come and nearly finish, I went in to say we were leaving. She said the food was ready. 10 minutes later, it did arrive. She forgot the salad. Decent but nothing special. A very strange lentil dish was spiced with horseradish. Salad arrived swarming with jalapenos.

I noticed a flyer announcing a 6.99 lunch special (after paying £12 for veg) when I was paying my bill. I said, "This would have been good to know!"-and she just said hmmf.

Will never return to merkato ewwwww!
View/Add comments (1)

anushe
Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why would you order samosa in an Ethiopian restaurant? Perhaps you thought you were in an Indian restaurant. I have eaten here with my Ethiopian/Eritrean inlaws many times and the place and food is great.

Rich