The Butcher & Grill (Battersea)

39-41 Parkgate Road, Battersea, London, SW11 4NP - View on a map

The Butcher & Grill (Battersea) Restaurant In London

I went into the Butcher Bar and Grill for brunch a while ago with my two nieces who were 7 and 9 at the time. We ordered our food at 1100 and at 1135 - two plates of food arrived (one eggs benedict and one eggs benedict with spinach). At 1140, I inquried when the other plate of food would arrive for my niece, who by this time was very hungry (she had ordered scrambled eggs and bacon) and I was told in an aggressive manner that it was on its way and that if I didn't want to wait, I was free to leave. I was stunned. If I hadn't been with my nieces and not worried about causing them any embarrassment I would have had very firm words with this man as his response was completely inexcusable. The food eventually arrived nearly an hour after it had been ordered and also after my niece and I had finished our food but to add insult to injury the bacon was cold and the scambled eggs were hot. This service would have been unacceptable in a busy restaurant, however, there was only one other occupied table of two. There was no explanation for this delay nor, more importantly, an apology of any description. So either the kitchen had experienced a complete meltdown or there is no consistency of service or quality at the Butcher Bar and Grill . What was all the more galling and unbelieveable was that on departure I learnt that I had been dealing with the Manager, so if I had a complaint, I should speak to him. Having already shown complete disregard for his customers (including two children), I thought the better of it and having paid the bill, we left. (By the way, every item had been charged in full, including a service charge, however I was so keen to get away from that man's thoroughly unpleasant nature that I paid everything, including the service charge, which I regret to this day). Needless to say, I will never visit again and nor will I recommend it to friends or family, on the contrary. My nieces and I were treated in an utterly contempible way and to have been treated like that by the Manager is beyond comprehension, but therein lies the contempt. Can I just add a footnote; the Deli and Butchery at the front of the shop are wonderful and run by friendly, knowledgeable, delightful, helpful people and I recommend both to you.

Saturday, April 12, 2014