L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon

13-15 West Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9NE - View on a map

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Restaurant In London

We chose L'atelier for its pre-theatre menu and were not disappointed!!!!!! This restaurant is a real gem. We were seated downstairs at the 'bar' which surrounds the kitchen. L'atelier is simply yet beautifully decked out in red and black.

The service is highly professional, friendly yet discreet, the staff knowledgible and enthusiastic.

We began with an amuse bouche of fois gras,port reduction and parmesan foam being encouraged to try a little of each layer together WOW! This was absolutely incredible - a real explosion of flavours.

My starter was white asparagus salad, iberian ham and quails egg with a nut dressing - totally delicious, my other half had the egg and mushroom concoction with mushroom foam served with soldiers, this dish was pure joy a taste of heaven.

Mains were Cod with a boulliabase sauce - this was sensationaI could have eaten more - not that the portions weren't generous enough but because it was just so delicious. The lamb confit on white beans has turned me a dedicated lamb hater into a convert I would have merrily wolfed the lot if my husband hadn't hurriedly grabbed back his plate!

Dessert for me was the pear and chocolate creation which was beyond compare, rich chocolate, pear bavarois and sorbet! Hubby chose the cheeses which again he had to guard to stop me demolishing! We finished with coffees on the terrace followed by a walk to the theatre (a much needed walk indeed)

The whole experience at L'atelier was exceptional, absolutely wonderful and I cannot wait to return. I love good food and was not disappointed in any way at all. A real ten out of ten visit - I can appreciate how it was given its 2 michelin stars. I

Lynda
Monday, April 02, 2012

I can not believe for one minute that this is a two star michelin restaurant.

We had reasonable expectations, having had the good fortune to dine at some of the worlds finest restaurants during our 18 year gastronomic affair.

We were seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen on the ground floor, we had booked a table for 5.30 hoping to enjoy a fabulous dinner before the theatre. i decided to go al carte and chose the langoustine fritters followed by the Scallops on Fregola with Black Truffle from the Perigord....and? At £47 for the starter and £34 for the main i waited with great anticipation as to what i would be served. I can only describe the starter as outrageous! nothing more than four (rather tiny) langoustine individually wrapped in wonton wrappers with a bit of basil and chilli deep fried with a basil Pistou which was over oily and lacked flavour. Oh and two deep fried basil leaves, all came confusingly constructed by cocktail sticks which made the whole thing difficult to eat and highlighted the pools of oil on the plate. I muddled my way through thoroughly disappointed. I wondered were the skill was in making this dish, after all isn't that part of what i am paying for?

The second course arrived and looked promising four scallops nicely presented with what looked like black truffle on them. I have to say that i am rather a truffle queen, i absolutely love them, so after my first mouthful i could not believe there was no truffle flavour. Is it me have i missed something? I tried the second one and no nothing not an iota of truffle flavour at all. I called the waitress and said, "these scallops have no truffle flavour at all", "yes madam look there is the black truffle it is with onion compote". "It very well may be but it tastes nothing like it", "i am sorry i don't want it", "you want to send it back"? Yes i do! "Would madame like to try something else on the menu"? No not really, "how about the Egg Cocotte it is a speciality, it is a very lovely dish" Oh ok i am actually still quite hungry and after all, i am here to eat. The Egg Cocotte came served in a martini glass it was a lightly cooked egg in a mushroom froth with bits of mushroom. The chef had purposely added large shavings of black truffle on top, at this point I felt only to make a point, "you have to eat it all together" said the waiter "you will get all the flavour then" he handed me a rather odd shaped spoon and i did what he suggested. What i got was a rather weak flavoured mushroom soup with barely cooked egg and bits of fake truffle which did nothing other that get stuck in my teeth! I pushed it away, a rather awkward looking waitress removed it and promptly asked if we would like to see the dessert menu, NO thank you! "tea or coffee madame "NO". The bill came to £155, my husband had the scottish Salmon with cucumber and wasabi cream, which he said was ok although lacked wasabi flavour, followed by the John dory with orange sauce again edible although quite sweet.

I was not charged for the scallops but the Egg Cocotte was billed at £11 and we were given a tube of chocolates each for the inconvenience and a business card by "The manager" i am guessing, who said "next time you visit ask for me i will look after you" I suggest you make a massive improvement to the food in this restaurant and concentrate on looking after the guests that visit you once cause if they have any sense they will not be back!!
View/Add comments (1)

The truffle queen
Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Two of us ate lunch here as part of a special offer - 2 courses with wines for £32 each. We were seated downstairs which is the more casual dining option with high tables and chairs. We were placed at the counter which was great as we could see into the kitchen.

If I was paying full price, I'd want to be in the first floor restaurant with more comfortable seating.

The food was good, portions small but that encourages you to eat slowly and savour things. It was all competent - the quail was rich and full of flavour but Dr C felt his fish was a bit like hospital food: bland although revived with an interesting 'smear' of honey-based sauce.

The highlight was the dessert - a selection of tarts including cinnamon, lemon and pear & caramel - a great way to sample all the the different flavours.

As you'd expect, the cooking and service is competent and coffee in the top floor bar was a nice finish. I'm not sure we'd return however. The prices are very high [one starter on the a la carte was £37 - admittedly it did include caviar - average is £25 for starters, £40 for mains] and there are other places in London which do food this good for slightly less and with better ambiance.

cut2qwik
Sunday, December 11, 2011

I have mixed views about this restaurant. On the upside the décor is pleasant, if a bit dated now, the food is exceptional without being epic (compared to other Michelin star restaurants I've been to), and the service is ok, without being anything special (they messed up an order as the waiter "forgot" to tell the kitchen, despite the kitchen being half a metre away - They did then make up for it by giving me two foie gras burgers, and a free dessert, which was really very nice of them - The sommelier must have been on a fag break because it took forever for him to turn up, but when he did he was at least knowledgeable about the wine list. )..It's also massively expensive (£200 for 2 small dishes, 1 starter, 2 mains, a £45 bottle of wine + service), but then that was to be expected. Overall, I'd say it's somewhere to go with your wealthy mates for a relaxed time, and forget it's a Michelin star restaurant you're in, and pretend it's somewhere like Asia de Cuba, but with substantially better food.. It's definitely not a destination restaurant in the classical Michelin mould, but then if i'd gone with different expectations, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

Edward - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, October 20, 2011

I'm going to go straight in by saying this place is definitely not a 2 michelin star restaurant, at best its a 1 star, if that.

And can someone please turn the lights on so i can see my wifes face sat opposite me.

The food is ok, not great, one dish was so bland i did'nt bother finishing it.

We didnt request a second bottle of water but were given one anyway and billed for it.

Service was just about acceptable, and i do mean just about!!!

I'm a little annoyed at myself for not asking for the service charge to be removed, i couldn't be asked with creating a fuss, but the fact of the matter is we should all ask for the service charge to be removed if we are not satisfied with our experience. Ive already told the wife i will no longer just walk away quitely, its time to take a stand!!

Mitch
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Totally restored my faith in good food! Wonderful food, great service and a cool place to eat - amazing living wall!

Jodi Curtis
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Quite a disappointing dining experience overall.

First of all, we had to wait for 1 hr for our table to be ready...bad start and bad management.

Secondly, the menu hadnt really changed since a couple of years ago when we last went there...a bit lazy perhaps?

Then the food was a bit hit and miss...some dishes were lovely (the ribeye steak - perfectly cooked,), some less so (le tourteau, for example, really a panini with crab meat, as a previous reviewer remarked).

Bizzarely...the amuse bouche arrived at our table after we finished our first set of starters...a bit chaotic..

The redeeming feature - it's quite nice to be able to look into the kitchen. Also, service was quite nice (once we got seated...)

Overall...the 2 michelin stars i don't think are well deserved anymore (they were, a few years back).

I guess they managed to hold onto them by virtue of the fact that it is quite a big chain with restaurants all over the world.

There are better top-end restaurants in London (Marcus Wareing and Ledbury being my favourites).

Sunday, September 25, 2011

This restaurant is fun and delicious. It makes dining out an event. Go as a couple and sit at the bar. The staff is enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The menu diverse and delicious. It is fun to watch the kitchen quietly and efficiently prepare the dishes. I recommend having the sommelier match wines by the glass to the dishes.

Friday, September 02, 2011

why have you chosen this restaurant? you'll be hard pressed to leave a date unimpressed if that's your reason, particularly if you choose to dine on the ground floor. similarly, if you (wrongly) believe that service forms part of the michelin star awards system and you tend to overweight its importance you'll most likely have a great experience

but if you're coming here to experience some of the best cooking in london (which you have every right to, given the 2 stars it holds), i fear you may come away a little disappointed.

we went for the portions degustation: la lisette - needed more acidity, oily fish and olives has to have something to cut through it - there was a blackberry (i think) glaze with it but when it's applied to the plate as a piece of artwork it's hard work to get enough of it on your fork. jambon - very good, but jambon whichever way you look at it - sourcing is not the same thing as cooking. le tourteau - pretty, solid, but ultimately an uber panini, just slightly underwhelming for 2*. la langoustine (ravioli) - perhaps everything that's wrong with the michelin starred rating, two beautifully thin ravioli wrapped around perfectly cooked sweet langoustine, utterly overwhelmed by a foie gras sauce. l'omble chevalier - superb. les couteaux de colchester - good but perhaps too much going on taking away from the flavour of the clams. l'agneau - excellent with a mash that was probably 40% butter! la caille - again excellent. le melon - superb, particularly the sorbert. la boule surprise - great until the hot sauce was poured over it turning it into a mulch which needed eating quickly so you could still distinguish the different components.

so there we go. some dishes there where you are in absolutely no doubt about the quality of the cooking and the ingredients, but here's the problem, some which just don't (in my opinion) stand up to 2*, whilst the pricing is relentlessly 2*.

superb service, enchanting space, and great to see your food being prepared in front of you ( it always amazes me how calm great kitchens are), but i have little doubt that if you were to compare this place's cooking to, say, the ledbury or Pied a terre (under shane osborn) you would struggle to put it anywhere other than 3rd place.

DS