Theo Randall

The InterContinental, 1 Hamilton Place, London, W1J 7QY - View on a map

Theo Randall Restaurant In London

Theo Randall was the surprise hit this year. I don't know why I was surprised because I still remember the glorious white onion risotto and amazing wines I had there nearly 10 years ago. It was quite new the first time I went; the tables were very far apart and the whole ambience quite frosty. I guess that and the fact that it's in a hotel pushed it off my radar, though I never forgot that risotto.

10 years on, it's all changed and they've got the room just right. The reason it came back into view was because it was recommended as a safe place for coeliacs to go for a treat. And treat it is. It's a lovely stylish relaxed convivial place to be where there is room to breathe. The staff are pitch perfect. There when you need them, not when you don't. Knowedgeable and helpful. Mr Randall was hard at work in the kitchen.

I say all changed, but yet again I had the most amazing risotto - courgette this time. Another of our crew declared it to be the best dinner he had ever had. The wine list is interesting, thought it does quickly scale the heights. There's plenty available by the glass. To be honest, there were no duff notes. Everyone of a party of 6 thoroughly enjoyed everything we had and loved the place. You can't say that very often. Our meal worked out on average £55 per head for 3 courses plus coffee, but only two of us were drinking (a glass with each meal including the dessert). So not cheap but not OTT either.

This goes firmly in the small list of places you can depend on for a special dinner with no awkward moments, even with someone with a severe allergy..

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Monday, December 20, 2010 - Against expectations, my calamari in padella were actually a pretty generous portion. They were decent enough - cooked correctly, nicely seasoned with the salty anchovy and chilli. I'm afraid we detected very little of the veal and pancetta in the cappelletti filling, and what was there was rather bland, and although the flavour of the pasta itself was good...Other than the hefty prices, Theo Randall at the Intercontinental aren't doing much wrong, it's just a shame for them that, thanks to the efforts of a handful of exiting new Italian restaurants across the capital, the rules of the game have changed.