Theo Randall

The InterContinental, 1 Hamilton Place, London, W1J 7QY - View on a map

Theo Randall Restaurant In London

We visited Theo Randall's last night to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and had an absolutely lovely time.

We could see that Theo was working in the kitchen - and occasionally popping out to greet diners - which added to the pleasure of the experience.

The food was simply delicious. From the start we knew we were in for a treat as the breads were wonderful - a lovely focaccia and a scrummy bruchetta.

I had never tried eel before and was slightly apprehensive, but it turned out to be amazing - it was delightfully smokey and had a perfect texture. My partner had the prosciutto and he thought it was very tasty.

For primi I had the taglierini al pescatore and thought it was stunning - the pasta was perfect and the seafood divine. My partner chose the cappelletti de vitello which he more than enjoyed.

The lamb was my choice for secondi and I was amazed by the flavour which was huge and magnificent and the accompanying roast vegetables were lovely - except for the artichoke which I thought was slightly hard. The other half had beef fillet, which was the main course special for the evening and said it was perfectly cooked with a delightful open grained texture.

For dessert my partner had the soft chocolate cake which he thoroughly enjoyed and described as being like a moose in texture. I had the orange and honey cakes which were scrumptious!

The little orange flavoured chocolate truffle were a delight and a lovely finishing touch to a gorgeous meal.

The portion size was surprisingly large - I was absolutely stuffed (in a pleasant way) by the end of the meal - definitely very good value for money.

The service was just right, attentive and discreet, friendly and professional - the service team are to be commended.

The only disappointment was the atmosphere. This was not through anyones fault, it was a Tuesday night in March and so was fairly quiet. It's not the most inspiring of dining rooms, rather bland if anything, and I felt it a pity that there were no windows and therefore no view over the lovely Wellington Arch. However this did not detract too much from an excellent dining experience.

Theo Randall's is one of the best Italian restaurants in London - in my experience - and I would highly recommend a visit.

FrFlatt
Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Monday, December 20, 2010 - Against expectations, my calamari in padella were actually a pretty generous portion. They were decent enough - cooked correctly, nicely seasoned with the salty anchovy and chilli. I'm afraid we detected very little of the veal and pancetta in the cappelletti filling, and what was there was rather bland, and although the flavour of the pasta itself was good...Other than the hefty prices, Theo Randall at the Intercontinental aren't doing much wrong, it's just a shame for them that, thanks to the efforts of a handful of exiting new Italian restaurants across the capital, the rules of the game have changed.