F. Cooke

9 Broadway Market, London, E8 4PH - View on a map
Telephone: 020 72546458

I have been eating pie and mash since I was four years old and always at F cookes. my mother used to take me to kingsland road London N16 And I got to know the family well. I am now 62 years of age now and still remember going with my friends as a small boy for lunch as it was a cheap way of eating and used to fill you up. The cost then was sixpence for the pie and threepence for the mash. with sawdust on the floor and marble tables to sit at and glass ceiling with fans giving a light breeze while you had your meal. old mother cooke would come and give you a slap if you were mucking about in the shop. the shop has now been turned into a Chinese restaurant. But thank God Bob has carried on with this business. And the taste is the same as I always remember God bless him for carrying on against the likes of McDonald's and KFC and the like. this is not just food for us cockneys but a tradition that has lasted for over 100 years. And the food is world class .I now live in the philippines and can't get pie and mash here. I tried to make the pies but just can't get the pastry right. I just hope that F cookes will still be there when I come back to the UK for a holiday. I just wonder if Bob would share his secret with me as I miss this so much.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The worst pie and mash I have ever tasted had. bad choice.

Thursday, March 27, 2014