Hop & Spice

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Delicious - not your average curry!

We have been here a few times now and it's one of our favourite places for a meal out (or a takeaway - try the Tiffin boxes!) I really like the thali dishes as you get to taste lots of different dishes and we usually order 6 between 2 (or we had 8 between 3 the other night) and we always have too much (we have big appetites as well). I would recommend the beef berruwella, kerala chicken, crispy jackfish, dahl, pea and paneer.....

My boyfriend and I have taken both sets of parents here for dinner when they have visited us in London and everyone has enjoyed it.

Jez
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My friends and I had THE most wonderful meal at the Hop and Spice in Balham, it was a great atmosphere we were met warmly by the staff and enjoyed some pre drinks whilst looking at the menu. The meal was a 10 out of 10 all round, fabulous starters, tapas and a good selection of wine. It made such a refreshing change to have food that wasn't lagged in oil or creamy sauces. It was fresh flavours, interesting spices and overall , something a little bit different. Thank you, we will be back!

Kim
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A real bonus finding this place on my doorstep - lovely food and really speedy and friendly service. Has become by go to place for taking weekend visitors!

Vicky Matthews
Friday, February 17, 2012

Really good fun evening last night with a party of friends at Hop & Spice. Great food, fun and friendly service.... loved the beers! The offer from signing up to the website was a nice touch. Hop & Spice –we’ll be back again soon.

Jess

Best curry in Balham!

I absolutely love hop and spice. The concept is great- tapas curry, perfect for romantic dinners, girlie catch up or big friends get together! I knew it was love when I saw their beer pairings with each dish- stroke of genius. And I'll never forget one cold miserable winter night coming out of the tube in balham to be greeted with warm samosas and money off vouchers. A lovely night out.

Jess
Friday, February 17, 2012

Hands down best restaurant south of the river. Food consistently fantastic, on time, served with smiling faces. Eaten here about 50 times and it remains my favourite. Moved away from London and happily return monthly to feast on the fabulous hop and spice. How the reviews I've seen can suggest this is bland is absolutely beyond me. I've never heard a bad word about it. Given if you walk Bedford Hll on a Sat night and this is the busiest by far I think it speaks for itself.

Great wine, great food and great smarties. Remains within a good budget and they even accept a taste card in the week. Recently added a small wall to partition bathrooms. Love it!

Dan T
Friday, February 17, 2012

We had a great time here, firstly the stafe we great and welcoming, the smell as you enter is great just makes you want to ask, can i have what ever that smell is! we were sat down, and then we were asked if we want to sit at the back as they had a cancilation lovely little spot real intimate and just what a couple want! Me and my parter had amazing starters, (which filled us up) the main was great too and we took some of it away in a bag which is not something we often do! overa great place, prices not too shabby but great atmospher, and the staff are amazingly happy and make you feel right at home,

Rob Gasior
Thursday, January 26, 2012

Decided last minute to go here on New Years eve and my partner and I both had a very good time.

The menu was very well presented, had a brief introduction to Sri Lankan food and a fantastic range of dishes to choose from. We opted for the Thali dishes (6 small dishes with rice, and bread) so as to be able to try as many things as possible, and being my first time trying Sri Lankan, thought this was a brilliant option. The suggested meal for 2 made took the intimidation out trying to make everything go together, and with slight swaps on dishes, allowed for customisations to suit our tastes. The menu also suggests beers to go with each dish, the pricing is clear - depending on whether going for Thali or normal sized portions, and I thought the overall cost was very reasonable.

The staff were helpful, explaining what things were to us, and the overall atmosphere was very pleasant. Looking forward to going back very soon.

ryank87 - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, January 18, 2012

This is a genuinely good eatery that we've been using for years now. The menu seems to go from strength to strength, but the staple dishes remain excellent. We always have the chilli chicken, slow cooked beef, aubergine salad (to die for)...The beers are very interesting - it's unique to be able to wash down the beautiful flavours with a choice of real ales. It's not the cheapest, but it's good value, and we always leave stuffed. Top tips - ask for a doggy bag, it tastes just as good the next day, and book as it can get busy!

Jas
Friday, December 30, 2011

Had a takeaway there tonight and the food was bland and keeps repeating on me. The portions are ridiculously small for the price - should have gone next door for a indian curry and paid half the price. Not recommended at all. :(

Saturday, December 17, 2011