Hop & Spice

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Delicious - not your average curry!

We have been here a few times now and it's one of our favourite places for a meal out (or a takeaway - try the Tiffin boxes!) I really like the thali dishes as you get to taste lots of different dishes and we usually order 6 between 2 (or we had 8 between 3 the other night) and we always have too much (we have big appetites as well). I would recommend the beef berruwella, kerala chicken, crispy jackfish, dahl, pea and paneer.....

My boyfriend and I have taken both sets of parents here for dinner when they have visited us in London and everyone has enjoyed it.

Jez
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My friends and I had THE most wonderful meal at the Hop and Spice in Balham, it was a great atmosphere we were met warmly by the staff and enjoyed some pre drinks whilst looking at the menu. The meal was a 10 out of 10 all round, fabulous starters, tapas and a good selection of wine. It made such a refreshing change to have food that wasn't lagged in oil or creamy sauces. It was fresh flavours, interesting spices and overall , something a little bit different. Thank you, we will be back!

Kim
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A real bonus finding this place on my doorstep - lovely food and really speedy and friendly service. Has become by go to place for taking weekend visitors!

Vicky Matthews
Friday, February 17, 2012

Really good fun evening last night with a party of friends at Hop & Spice. Great food, fun and friendly service.... loved the beers! The offer from signing up to the website was a nice touch. Hop & Spice –we’ll be back again soon.

Jess

Best curry in Balham!

I absolutely love hop and spice. The concept is great- tapas curry, perfect for romantic dinners, girlie catch up or big friends get together! I knew it was love when I saw their beer pairings with each dish- stroke of genius. And I'll never forget one cold miserable winter night coming out of the tube in balham to be greeted with warm samosas and money off vouchers. A lovely night out.

Jess
Friday, February 17, 2012

Hands down best restaurant south of the river. Food consistently fantastic, on time, served with smiling faces. Eaten here about 50 times and it remains my favourite. Moved away from London and happily return monthly to feast on the fabulous hop and spice. How the reviews I've seen can suggest this is bland is absolutely beyond me. I've never heard a bad word about it. Given if you walk Bedford Hll on a Sat night and this is the busiest by far I think it speaks for itself.

Great wine, great food and great smarties. Remains within a good budget and they even accept a taste card in the week. Recently added a small wall to partition bathrooms. Love it!

Dan T
Friday, February 17, 2012

We had a great time here, firstly the stafe we great and welcoming, the smell as you enter is great just makes you want to ask, can i have what ever that smell is! we were sat down, and then we were asked if we want to sit at the back as they had a cancilation lovely little spot real intimate and just what a couple want! Me and my parter had amazing starters, (which filled us up) the main was great too and we took some of it away in a bag which is not something we often do! overa great place, prices not too shabby but great atmospher, and the staff are amazingly happy and make you feel right at home,

Rob Gasior