Gazette (Battersea)

79 Sherwood Court, Chatfield Road, Battersea, London, SW11 3UY - View on a map

Gazette (Battersea) Restaurant In London

Gazette is a local restaurant that I've occasionally visited over the past 6 years. It is always a gamble - the service is almost always very bad, the food sometimes excellent, sometimes poor, the wine list is of deteriorating quality and neither staff nor management seem to care - whenever we complain, they seem offended, like it's our fault that the service or food is poor.

The last straw was yesterday's lunch. We ordered foie gras, which was cold and raw in the middle, cooked on the outside - disgusting. It went back untouched and nobody thought to ask if there was anything wrong. The duck was tough and chewy.

It is no longer worth the gamble as more often than not it's an expensive, unimpressive experience. Save your stomachs and wallets and go elsewhere.

Ken Lorp
Sunday, March 17, 2013

Having received incredibly poor service on my last visit to Gazette Battersea (slow service and incredibly poor reservation and kitchen management), I complained to the restaurant's management but received no response at all.

Whilst we have enjoyed the food at Gazette in the past, with such little respect for their clientele, they will not be getting any repeat business from me.

Matt
Monday, November 05, 2012

Just had an incredibly disappointing meal there. Never feel I have to write about a bad experience - but with the Gazette I really feel I have to warn people from ever going there. This was my third visit...the food is fair to good french brasserie food - good steak and chips. The first two times it was good enough to overlook the rudeness of the waiters and the manager - but this time this aspect completely overpowered the evening.

A simple beer came 30 mins late. Fizzy water - 45 mins late - the red wine with the steak came once we have all finished our last mouthful.....and it was like it was our fault! Coffee came 15 mins before the pudding - and so we were paying when the pudding arrived - and could not get it taken off the menu.....This was so disappointing as it could be a good place - but I think the spiral down has started.

It is frankly not worth the stress of of the bad and rude service to eat here - there are better and more pleasant experiences elsewhere. PLEASE AVOID...

Chris Andrew
Saturday, September 22, 2012

So glad I gave Gazette a second chance. The first visit, after glowing recommendations from friends, was disappointing because the service was exceptionally slow: over an hour before any food and that, combined with the lack of apology, detracted from the superb quality of the food.

However, I went recently for lunch (great value two courses for only £10) and it was a complete delight. Lovely to sit outside on a sunny day, service charming, speedy and attentive even though the restaurant filled up whilst we were there. Food simple, beautifully cooked and absolutely delicious.

Will definitely go again. And hope the restaurant takes note of the negative reviews complaining about slow service or poor attitude that I have seen on the site: it is so lovely to have this kind of quality restaurant in the area and everyone should feel happy on leaving.

MaggieSW - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Appauling and rude staff. The manager and Walter, the owner, were extremely rude to us. We tried to complain and he told us we were wasting his time and walked away.

Never again.
View/Add comments (1)

mike
Monday, June 04, 2012

Terrible service and very long wait between starter and main course of 1 hour 20 min..

Would not recommend.

lou
Tuesday, May 29, 2012

We had a superb dinner here French food at its best with very friendly service & great ambience.

Menu allowed selection of great classic dishes & excellent value wines. Excellent all round, to be recommended.

Alan
Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Went for the first time on the eve of Christmas Eve and was pleasantly surprised. Let's face it the location is somwehate odd, and so to enter a tastefully decorated, warm and cosy dining room was a pleasant and surprising juxtaposition.

Food wise, to start the quail/chorizo salad, french onion soup, whole artichoke were excellent. The duck confit (main) was world class. The weak point in my view was the ribeye steak - on its own not a bad dish (not that great either) but not up to the very high standard of the rest. The waiter advised afterwards that next time I should try the chateaubriand. I didn't have room for the impressive looking cheese trolley but my girlfriend enjoyed her lemon and butter crepe.

Service was good and attentive and will certainly return

Saturday, December 24, 2011