Song Que

134 Kingsland Road, London, E2 8DY - View on a map

I've been a reader of this website for years but have never bothered to write a review because often my opinions already agree with previous reviews, however myself and the other diners with me were treated so appallingly by this place that I felt compelled to review this place. Firstly let me caveat my comments by saying that I've eaten in many an Asian restaurant and by default always expect rushed/not particularly polite service no matter the prices on the menu. Song Que however sets new standards in rude service.

We were given a table at 7pm on a reasonably busy night and told from the start that we had to vacate by 8:30pm, par for the course, no objections here, but we ended up being hounded out after less than an hour. The waiters hung around the tables like flies on manure and showed no consideration for interrupting whatever conversations our party were trying to have. Asked about what we wanted to order 3 times within minutes of sitting down (strange that a place with over 150 items on the menu would be annoyed that it may take time to choose our food) and although the food comes fast, it gets whisked off the table just as quick and often without them asking you if you'd finished. The evening was mildly irritating but nothing to get angry about until we'd finished our food in what I thought was pretty quick time, a couple of us asked for the menu to pick out desserts at which point the waiter shouted over to someone at the far end in a foreign language (presumably Vietnamese) and told us flat out that the desserts were sold out, this being before 8pm. Clearly the modus operandi was to turn over the table as quick as possible and this place doesn't value repeat customers so we left.

As for the food, quite tasty, well cooked for what you pay for, most dishes weren't too greasy as can be the case with Asian food and they're not afraid to turn up the eat for authentic dishes. Prices - dare I say a bargain by London standards. However the service had left such a bad taste that none of us enjoyed the evening. Given that there is a plethora of Vietnamese restaurants in close proximity, all with similar prices, I doubt I'll be returning to Song Que.

Monday, May 20, 2013

I'm afraid I can't actually review the food as I never got to taste it due the abominable rudeness of one of the waiters there.

I was there this afternoon with my baby who was having a nap in her pram. The waiter said that I would have to wake the baby up if I wanted to eat. I politely informed him that this would not be possible and he humphed for a bit and then went to find me an appropriate table. I thanked him for this and said that I would be happy to wait

He went away for a bit and when he came back he seemed a bit agitated. I said again that I was happy to wait and he shouted at me that I had to wait my turn. I was a bit confused by this as I'd already said that I was happy to wait.

He went away again and when he came back he pointed out a table on the far side of the restaurant and said that the people would be leaving soon and I could have that one but I would have to position my pram in a certain way. As I had never been there before I said ok, I'll have to have a look when I sit down to see what you mean. He then shouted at me again that I had to have that table and put my pram in a certain way. I calmly said to him that I had never been there before so did not know the layout of the restaurant and also the table was too far away for me to see properly.

I then pointed out to him that I did not appreciate being shouted at twice as I had not raised my voice once and was happy to wait. He apologised and I said I will wait here. He then shouted again that I had to wait for that particular table. I pointed out that he had shouted at me again and that I found it unacceptable. He apologised again and I said that I wasn't sure why he was shouting in the first place. He then shouted AGAIN at which point I decided that I really didn't want to eat there and the conversation was going round in circles. I informed the waiter that he was extremely rude and then left.

In the end I ate up the road at the much more polite establishment; Mien Tay which I WOULD recommend.

I can only conclude that the staff at Song Que are either extremely stressed or are a bit strange and think that it is acceptable to insult prospective customers. Avoid.

Amy
Saturday, January 05, 2013

If you're looking for great traditional vietnamese food go to Song Que they never disappoint me, yes, the service isnt great but who cares you're there for the food! The pho is amazing, great for this freezing weather! never miss out on the spicy squid and summer rolls they're the classics!

Ellie
Saturday, December 15, 2012

Noisy, over-crowded with people pushing past constantly as you try to eat. Food not great and rather overpriced. Mediocre takeaway standard, if that. Waiters pretty unfriendly and rushing us to leave so more people could sit down. All in all a really unpleasant experience. Avoid.

Joanne
Sunday, December 09, 2012

If you like monosodium glutamate, overcooked tasteless food, poor service and a frenetic unfriendly atmosphere you'll love this place.

I have eaten in Hoxton's Vietnamese restaurants for 15+ years. My first visit last night to Song Que was not only the worst meal I've had in Hoxton but one of the most unpleasant eating out experiences I've had in London.

I'll grant you it was cheap. But not cheerful. A group of 10 friends booked weeks in advance for 7.30pm. At 9pm we were told to leave because they wanted the table. We had more fun chatting outside in the freezing cold after we had rudely been told to leave than we had inside.

I have no idea why anyone would queue to get in this place.

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Complelled to write this as just had meal there today and felt totally ripped ff

Really overpriced £7 for spicy squid which worked out £1 a piece and bland to boot

£6 for two very average summer rolls

over £7 each for bland Pho with very little substance other than the noodles

When I paid bill I had to ask for my change as none was returned

I have been here over the years and it has totally lost it

I would never go back as much better places a matter of seconds away.

Saturday, May 05, 2012

As soon as I entered the restaurant, the waiter told me I would have to wait quite some time. But luckily within a few minutes he gave us the table immediately, awesome!

Starters - Fresh Rolls, Spicy Squid - Very delicious

Mains - Pho Steak, one of the best pho broth I have ever tasted in my life, the meat was just how cooked I wanted it to be.

The service could improve, not saying that it was bad.

Jason
Monday, April 16, 2012

Gave my usual Kingsland Road Vietnamese (Loong Kee Cafe) a miss due to the very favourable Time Out review for Song Que, and boy, what a mistake that was.

I'll start off with the positives: Delicious Spring Rolls, delicious Griled Lamb starter.

The negatives: I reserved a table for 7pm, and turned up early (6.40); was told it was OK to come and sit now (the restaurant was 90% empty) as long as we left early. I can't believe they were trying to get rid of us before we'd even sat down.

Every waiter that enaged us during the visit was surly.

Not even halfway through eating the starters our main courses were brought.

My girlfriend went to the toilet halfway through eating her main course- one person on the table had finished their main course- they took the empty main course plate and put it on top of my girlfriend's half eaten main course plate and took it away without asking if she'd finished.

The food,with the exception of the two starters was completely bland (chicken with crispy fried noodles, and rare steak pho (why they call it rare steak is anyone's guess)....the pho came recommended for it's depth of flavour- the flavour must have been hidden very deep indeed, because i couldn't taste it.

When the joyless waiter brought us the bill I asked to speak to a manager- I was told that they didn't have a manager- i accused him of lying and said we weren't paying until i'd spoken to the manager- lo and behold a manager magically appeared. I told her of our gripes and she offered to make us another chicken with cripsy noodles to take away. I told her we didn't want another as we were on a night out and anyway, it wasn't very nice first time round, and asked if she could remove the cost of that one main course from the bill (not unreasonable, as they'd actually taken it away before it was finished). She told me that she wasn't able to remove it from the bill- to which i replied that in that case I wasn't able to pay at all. She removed it from the bill and we went on our merry way.

All in all a wholy unpleasant experience.

James
Monday, April 02, 2012

When you go to a restaurant and ask for some hot water, you might think... hm... the waiters wouldn't be as bad to serve you with hot tap water.

But... unfortunately... they did.

Catica Como
Thursday, January 19, 2012

Very disappointing meal at Song Que on a Friday night. A queue of people at the door, but really no good reason why....

The food was average and the service very abrupt. Nothing was inedible (although, saying that, don't order the tamarind mussels...) but none of the food stood out. The atmosphere was noisy and the tables too close together.

The whole experience has put us off the Kingsland Road altogether - there are much better Vietnamese elsewhere. Try Vy Nam Cafe in Finchley or Thanh Binh in Camden.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Friday, February 26, 2010 - I was assured that this was the best Pho on the Kingsland road. Unfortunately, the resulting dish was rather disappointing. The essence of the pho comes from the intensely aromatic broth, steeped with flavour. Although the slices of beef and chicken, as well as the rice noodles were perfectly adequate, the broth was one dimensional and had none of the punch required. This probably had a lot to do with the time we were dining but still disappointing nonetheless...Although my visit was far from outstanding, the queues at the door tell me a different story. I certainly wouldn't rule out another visit.