Song Que

134 Kingsland Road, London, E2 8DY - View on a map

I've been a reader of this website for years but have never bothered to write a review because often my opinions already agree with previous reviews, however myself and the other diners with me were treated so appallingly by this place that I felt compelled to review this place. Firstly let me caveat my comments by saying that I've eaten in many an Asian restaurant and by default always expect rushed/not particularly polite service no matter the prices on the menu. Song Que however sets new standards in rude service.

We were given a table at 7pm on a reasonably busy night and told from the start that we had to vacate by 8:30pm, par for the course, no objections here, but we ended up being hounded out after less than an hour. The waiters hung around the tables like flies on manure and showed no consideration for interrupting whatever conversations our party were trying to have. Asked about what we wanted to order 3 times within minutes of sitting down (strange that a place with over 150 items on the menu would be annoyed that it may take time to choose our food) and although the food comes fast, it gets whisked off the table just as quick and often without them asking you if you'd finished. The evening was mildly irritating but nothing to get angry about until we'd finished our food in what I thought was pretty quick time, a couple of us asked for the menu to pick out desserts at which point the waiter shouted over to someone at the far end in a foreign language (presumably Vietnamese) and told us flat out that the desserts were sold out, this being before 8pm. Clearly the modus operandi was to turn over the table as quick as possible and this place doesn't value repeat customers so we left.

As for the food, quite tasty, well cooked for what you pay for, most dishes weren't too greasy as can be the case with Asian food and they're not afraid to turn up the eat for authentic dishes. Prices - dare I say a bargain by London standards. However the service had left such a bad taste that none of us enjoyed the evening. Given that there is a plethora of Vietnamese restaurants in close proximity, all with similar prices, I doubt I'll be returning to Song Que.

Monday, May 20, 2013

I'm afraid I can't actually review the food as I never got to taste it due the abominable rudeness of one of the waiters there.

I was there this afternoon with my baby who was having a nap in her pram. The waiter said that I would have to wake the baby up if I wanted to eat. I politely informed him that this would not be possible and he humphed for a bit and then went to find me an appropriate table. I thanked him for this and said that I would be happy to wait

He went away for a bit and when he came back he seemed a bit agitated. I said again that I was happy to wait and he shouted at me that I had to wait my turn. I was a bit confused by this as I'd already said that I was happy to wait.

He went away again and when he came back he pointed out a table on the far side of the restaurant and said that the people would be leaving soon and I could have that one but I would have to position my pram in a certain way. As I had never been there before I said ok, I'll have to have a look when I sit down to see what you mean. He then shouted at me again that I had to have that table and put my pram in a certain way. I calmly said to him that I had never been there before so did not know the layout of the restaurant and also the table was too far away for me to see properly.

I then pointed out to him that I did not appreciate being shouted at twice as I had not raised my voice once and was happy to wait. He apologised and I said I will wait here. He then shouted again that I had to wait for that particular table. I pointed out that he had shouted at me again and that I found it unacceptable. He apologised again and I said that I wasn't sure why he was shouting in the first place. He then shouted AGAIN at which point I decided that I really didn't want to eat there and the conversation was going round in circles. I informed the waiter that he was extremely rude and then left.

In the end I ate up the road at the much more polite establishment; Mien Tay which I WOULD recommend.

I can only conclude that the staff at Song Que are either extremely stressed or are a bit strange and think that it is acceptable to insult prospective customers. Avoid.

Amy
Saturday, January 05, 2013

If you're looking for great traditional vietnamese food go to Song Que they never disappoint me, yes, the service isnt great but who cares you're there for the food! The pho is amazing, great for this freezing weather! never miss out on the spicy squid and summer rolls they're the classics!

Ellie
Saturday, December 15, 2012

Noisy, over-crowded with people pushing past constantly as you try to eat. Food not great and rather overpriced. Mediocre takeaway standard, if that. Waiters pretty unfriendly and rushing us to leave so more people could sit down. All in all a really unpleasant experience. Avoid.

Joanne
Sunday, December 09, 2012

If you like monosodium glutamate, overcooked tasteless food, poor service and a frenetic unfriendly atmosphere you'll love this place.

I have eaten in Hoxton's Vietnamese restaurants for 15+ years. My first visit last night to Song Que was not only the worst meal I've had in Hoxton but one of the most unpleasant eating out experiences I've had in London.

I'll grant you it was cheap. But not cheerful. A group of 10 friends booked weeks in advance for 7.30pm. At 9pm we were told to leave because they wanted the table. We had more fun chatting outside in the freezing cold after we had rudely been told to leave than we had inside.

I have no idea why anyone would queue to get in this place.

Saturday, December 08, 2012