Song Que

134 Kingsland Road, London, E2 8DY - View on a map

I've been a reader of this website for years but have never bothered to write a review because often my opinions already agree with previous reviews, however myself and the other diners with me were treated so appallingly by this place that I felt compelled to review this place. Firstly let me caveat my comments by saying that I've eaten in many an Asian restaurant and by default always expect rushed/not particularly polite service no matter the prices on the menu. Song Que however sets new standards in rude service.

We were given a table at 7pm on a reasonably busy night and told from the start that we had to vacate by 8:30pm, par for the course, no objections here, but we ended up being hounded out after less than an hour. The waiters hung around the tables like flies on manure and showed no consideration for interrupting whatever conversations our party were trying to have. Asked about what we wanted to order 3 times within minutes of sitting down (strange that a place with over 150 items on the menu would be annoyed that it may take time to choose our food) and although the food comes fast, it gets whisked off the table just as quick and often without them asking you if you'd finished. The evening was mildly irritating but nothing to get angry about until we'd finished our food in what I thought was pretty quick time, a couple of us asked for the menu to pick out desserts at which point the waiter shouted over to someone at the far end in a foreign language (presumably Vietnamese) and told us flat out that the desserts were sold out, this being before 8pm. Clearly the modus operandi was to turn over the table as quick as possible and this place doesn't value repeat customers so we left.

As for the food, quite tasty, well cooked for what you pay for, most dishes weren't too greasy as can be the case with Asian food and they're not afraid to turn up the eat for authentic dishes. Prices - dare I say a bargain by London standards. However the service had left such a bad taste that none of us enjoyed the evening. Given that there is a plethora of Vietnamese restaurants in close proximity, all with similar prices, I doubt I'll be returning to Song Que.

Monday, May 20, 2013

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Friday, February 26, 2010 - I was assured that this was the best Pho on the Kingsland road. Unfortunately, the resulting dish was rather disappointing. The essence of the pho comes from the intensely aromatic broth, steeped with flavour. Although the slices of beef and chicken, as well as the rice noodles were perfectly adequate, the broth was one dimensional and had none of the punch required. This probably had a lot to do with the time we were dining but still disappointing nonetheless...Although my visit was far from outstanding, the queues at the door tell me a different story. I certainly wouldn't rule out another visit.