Dinings

22 Harcourt Street, Marylebone, London, W1H 4HH - View on a map

Telegraph

Jasper Gerard - 8/10

Friday, March 05, 2010 - Particularly delectable is the soft-shell crab spring roll. The crab has a wonderfully soft yet crunchy texture. Also impressive is the spicy tuna wasabi rolls with wasabi leaf, a spicier alternative to the more typical wasabi powder. The biggest surprise of all is the very traditional duck breast 'Hoba-yaki' with sweet miso and a faint scent of sandalwood, served on a magnolia leaf. The duck is incredibly smoky, almost bacon-esque, a taste that's expertly balanced by the sweetness of miso.

I had very high expectations, but was deeply disappointed. We ordered a grilled king crab with avocado and received ordinary crab which on the market costs half the price. The squid we had were so very chewy we couldn't eat them. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant at all.

Marta
Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I was so disappointed (perhaps due to too high expectation) by the experience we had with Dinings so that I feel I have to leave a review to provide a point of view different from the one-sided opinions online.

First of all, the service we got was really annoying. One of the waitress had the arrogance in her manner. It typically means if you don't have the kind of "face" or are not "dressed" as glorious as people from higher class in the society, you would feel convinced that you are not at where you are belonged to.

We didn't have an idea about the portion of the dishes, so we each ordered as normally what we would do - one starter and one “main dish", which accounts to about £60 already. From that point of time, the waitress who took our order already reassured herself with the conclusion she had from the very beginning that we were at the wrong place and could not afford what they serve. It's very annoying that people like this working basically as a "waiter/waitress" in a place branded itself as "posh" think they are above ordinary people. Why? There's no point to compare which profession is more than the other. But at least I have no reason to feel secondary when I go to a chosen restaurant to enjoy a meal, no matter how much I would want to pay at the end. Simply for this reason alone, I will never go back to this place.

Secondly, the portions were really small. You shall be prepared to order 3-4 dishes per person and pay possibly more than £50/person to have enough. So much more expensive than average.

For the food itself: When first spotted this restaurant, we really anticipated something excellent, especially with the premium price. We wouldn't mind paying a premium if the food is genuinely excellent. We went there for fresh seafood (actually only sushi and sashimi - so, raw fish), therefore we didn't order any meat. Possibly because we had lived in Paris for too long so that we have this kind of unrealistic expectation here for something from ingredients to cuisine.

The sashimi is not bad. They did prepare/make it in a different way and gave extra attention to details (the way dishes are presented). It did show some interesting ideas and ways of making the fish more tasty. But the ingredient itself to me is just not fresh enough. My husband felt the same. To us, it was more like the image, the mere manipulation of what they have in the kitchen and the fancy idea of "looking posh and fabulous". I hate being fooled in such a way. I highly respect chefs who feel genuinely proud of what they are providing to his guests. So to us, even though the sushi/sashimi is still interesting, it's not worth the price and the expectation. We wouldn't go back there, not mentioning the particular EXTREMELY annoying waitress (the other girl was genuine and kind).

Roland - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, November 12, 2011

Will Eat For Money

Will Eat For Money

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - Many people shirk when you mention that you like eel, but they tend to have jellied efforts in mind. Grilled and topped with a sweet sauce (Kabayaki sauce), the version at Dinings is probably the best I've tried in London. With a firm bite, not dissimilar to canned sardines but with a sweetness drawn from the sauce and a smokiness from the grilling, it's a joy to eat... Dinings is a great restaurant which serves fantastic sashimi and the lunch menu is worth investigating. Booking is advisable.