The Humming Bird

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

This is the third time I have visited this restaurant although the first time in a long while. I brought by son and my partner here for Mother's Day for their first time as I have had fond memories of this establishment previously. Unfortunately service was a little on the slow side, arousing an awkward wait to be seated, then once asked for drinks, this took a look time for the task to be delivered, my son aged 6, who had a simple apple juice was last to be served allowing 20 minutes and a request for a jug of water before we had even received our drinks or had our orders taken, and to be fair there was only 3 other tables dining.

However, after drinks were finally served, I was given a complimentary Pina Colada (and wished a happy Mother's Day), which wow...was absolutely divine, so much so that I asked for a jug, as it said at the bottom of the drinks menu, this was 'available by asking the server' however the 'server' was unaware of jugged cocktails, but after pointing out the small print, happily said she would oblige.

Starters came out fairly prompt after the wait for drinks, I had the saltfish fritters, which although unusual was sooo tasty, my partner had the shrimp which reluctantly I wish I had ordered as it was absolutely spot on, tender, tasty and beautifully balanced with a chili sauce, stunning. My son had the sweet potato bake, which was a large portion and was ok, the least favourite of our starters.

The mains followed relatively quickly after the starters, I had the curried goat, which was fairly satisfactory, only for my liking I prefer larger cuts of meat, but was still tasty. Both the plantain and rice wasn't as good as I had remembered but was nice all the same. My partner had the lamb shoulder and seemed to enjoy it, my son had the BBQ jerk chicken, which was absolutely gorgeous, seasoned very very well, and perfectly cooked could not rate it any more, was salubrious....

However, it was on completing our meal that the girl serving us realised she had forgotten the jug of Pina colada we had earlier requested, of which I replied it really doesn't matter, which at that point it didn't as we were way too full to eat/drink another thing, so all's well end's well.

The staff, although really really slow, and at times distracted or otherwise engaged, were very friendly, a nice vibe and happy ambiance was felt by all, and can not complain about portion size nor can I grumble about the price. Three starters, three mains, three drinks came to £56.00, not bad. Yes I would come again, purely for the jerk chicken, shrimp and pina colada....just be sure you are not in a rush and have plenty of time.

Heather